Police...just don't enforce the gun laws

This is a discussion on Police...just don't enforce the gun laws within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Seriously, I believe that although we can always find one bad apple in the bunch, the vast majority of policemen know how important it is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Police...just don't enforce the gun laws

Police...just don't enforce the gun laws

Seriously, I believe that although we can always find one bad apple in the bunch, the vast majority of policemen know how important it is for citizens to be able to defend themselves with firearms. I know there are several Sheriff's in Colorado that have stood up against these proposed gun laws.

I think the police should simply not enforce any of the gun laws at all, except those gun laws broken by obvious criminals. As for the average citizen, I think they should just look the other way, and hope they do.
    crue2009 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Well my sheriff has stated he will not enforce any new gun laws.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

That would be great, but whatever they weren't enforcing would still be illegal... meaning there is at least the possibility one could be arrested for it. That keeps the majority of the good guys from doing it because we are law-abiding folk. Also I am far too good looking for prison...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

That's a nice thought but LEOs violate American's constitutional rights on a daily basis because it is their "job."

What makes you think gun control would be any different from the other daily violations of people's rights?

With a militarized police force like we have in America today, all bets are off. You'll be sure to hear the old "I was just following orders."

This is not to say that all LEO will go along with new gun control laws, but the VAST MAJORITY will.
    Crowman and NONAME762 like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

We have several sheriffs,who have more or less said to hell with any of their gun ban laws.That said,im not doing anything that could cause me to go to jail over a gun or anything else for that matter.Never been in jail and not curious about it either,lol

I know a number of cops in my hometown, and I think most of them would not enforce some of the new gun laws.
    But I also noticed in Katrina that there were lots and lots of cops and National Guardsmen that didn't mind stealing and destroying guns of innocent folk. There wan't even a law to confiscate then, just the word of the mayor/police chief.
    So I think it depends a lot on the cop and perhaps where in the nation you are located.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfuelrm View Post
    Well my sheriff has stated he will not enforce any new gun laws.
    I believe that's Lee County, correct?
    We used to live in Naples, what's the sheriff's attitude in your neighboring county?
    Just curious...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I highly doubt that the gun police are going to be checking everyone's gun while shooting cans in the wilderness.
    Bill 1229 requires a background check on the transfer of all firearms. This means you can't sell to an unfamiliar buyer, friend, or even a family member without a background check. Even if it's a private sale. You can't give your firearm to your family without a background check, and assuming you get the background check approved you must then wait for an approval of the CBI (Colorado Bureau of Investigation). No approval on either one of those makes you a criminal if you transfer the gun. Of all the bills, I believe this one will actually make a difference and help make us safer.

One thing to note is that under HB1229 that you are technically breaking the law by giving a BBgun, airsoft gun, or paintball marker for your kid.

Sharing a gun for self-defense anywhere outside the home, no matter how extreme the situation. For example, imagine that two women are driving at night and break down on a deserted road. The younger woman, whose handgun was in the car, walks a few miles to the nearest gas station. She gives her handgun to the older woman, so that the older woman can protect herself. That would be a "transfer" so not doing a background check through a dealer would be a federal crime.

Lending a friend your gun while the two of you go target shooting on a farm, on public land, or in any other informal setting that isn’t on a range owned by an incorporated conservation or marksmanship group.

Teaching an NRA firearms safety class or hunter safety class in a classroom. Despite anti-gunners’ attempt to wrap themselves in the flag of gun safety, and their efforts in some states and localities to pass mandatory training requirements, the bill has no exception for training classes that don’t occur on a range.

Lending a firearm to a friend for hunting in any location where hunting is not permitted. A person living in a suburban or urban area where no hunting is allowed would break the law if he lent a gun to a friend who was going to use it for hunting in a permissible area in the countryside.

IF you did "borrow" a gun that was used to protect yourself and/or others, the courts would see you as breaking a federal law which would not be favorable to you if it went to trial.

If you notice, it is the Police Depts getting Fedl funds, controlled by city Govts, etc. who are saying no ... no .... no .. and no. ... citizens shouldn't carry guns.

Sheriff's who are elected by the people, seem to have the opposite position and standing up for citizens rights to own and use guns for self defense and protection, and against any gun, magazine and other bans.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Moderator
    No approval on either one of those makes you a criminal if you transfer the gun. Of all the bills, I believe this one will actually make a difference and help make us safer.
    You need to study up a bunch.

You are advocating giving up freedom for safety. There are several well known quotes about that.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by heatherr855 View Post
    We have several sheriffs,who have more or less said to hell with any of their gun ban laws.That said,im not doing anything that could cause me to go to jail over a gun or anything else for that matter.Never been in jail and not curious about it either,lol
    The closest I ever got to being in jail was hearing the screaming of an inmate while filling out the paperwork on a charge on some puke my Bro and me caught prowling my truck.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

You can't give your firearm to your family without a background check, and assuming you get the background check approved you must then wait for an approval of the CBI (Colorado Bureau of Investigation). No approval on either one of those makes you a criminal if you transfer the gun. Of all the bills, I believe this one will actually make a difference and help make us safer.
    Seriously? I guess the fact that Criminals break into houses and steal guns has no bearing...You may want to do a little research into how many guns the Feds have "LOST" or lose every year.Then tell me how safe a background check is gonna make you feel
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It's hard to claim the rule of law exists when law is applied and enforced selectively.

But your point is valid. There are unjust laws. It might make sense that some of the most egregious and obviously unconstitutional statutes make good sense to refuse to enforce. As with the actions being taken by many of the sheriffs across the several states, in the past couple of months. In the long run, though, the only real way to turn the tide is erasure and blasting of all of these unjust statutes. But I doubt that's going to occur fully within my lifetime, perhaps not even within the next. IMO, a full "blasting" and rewrite of the basic statutes is going to need to be done if any sane and sensible combination is to come out the other side. And I just don't see that happening, short of the unthinkable, given the extreme weight of entrenched interests.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

...choosing which obnoxious gun law to accept is like choosing between several cow patties for lunch...it's still a cow pattie...

There's not a LAW made in the world that's gonna make you or I safer when criminals don't bother to read every new Law coming down the pike...no theyr'e doing whatever they wanna do until they get caught breaking the Law or killed by a homeowner while trying a home invasion. All the average Joe Citizen is gonna get from pencil necked politicians is more taxes, less freedom, more morons coming out of public schools and more bullies whether they're wearing judges robes or ride around in a car that says 'to protect and serve'.
    goldmaster likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links