WV Senate unveils official state firearm

This is a discussion on WV Senate unveils official state firearm within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not really that big of a deal but in today's climate it is somewhat significant. W.Va. Senate unveils official state firearm » Local News » ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By RookWV
  • 1 Post By Jeanlouise
  • 3 Post By oakchas
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 4 Post By Bmoliv66
  • 1 Post By RickyD

Thread: WV Senate unveils official state firearm

Not really that big of a deal but in today's climate it is somewhat significant.

W.Va. Senate unveils official state firearm » Local News » The Register-Herald, Beckley, West Virginia

Senate Doorkeeper Tony Gallo pulled back the white cloth Friday, revealing an 1819 model of John Hall’s flintlock, one of only three that survived over the past two centuries.

A Senate resolution, passed unanimously, aims to make that rifle the official firearm of West Virginia.

On display directly in front of Senate President Jeffrey Kessler’s podium, the rifle was borrowed for the occasion by Majority Leader John Unger, D-Berkeley, from the National Park Service in Harpers Ferry.

“I had to sign my life away just to bring it down here but assured them that they would get a return,” Unger quipped.

No one is sure, but Unger said it is believed the Hall Flintlock is one of the guns found on West Virginia’s official seal, directly at the foot of the two Mountaineers.

Hall produced the weapon at the National Armory in Harpers Ferry for the U.S. Army.

One year later, Unger explained, Hall landed a contract to deliver 100 of them to the Army, since the government was keenly interested in his revolutionary concept for interchangeable parts.

A second government contract in 1819 found Hall with an order to produce 1,000 rifles, his being the first breech-loader ever adopted by our nation’s military, Unger said.

Unlike other firearms of the day, the majority leader noted, one needn’t pour powder through the muzzle and down the barrel and ram the bullet inside to prepare it for firing.

“Hall’s rifle had a block in the breech and near the operator’s body that could be lifted out and allow the operator to insert the powder and the ball,” Unger said.

“Therefore, it was easier and faster to load. It saw action in several frontier wars and was still in use during the Civil War.”

Unger found it appropriate to adopt the Hall Model, which is fired at least once a year at Harpers Ferry, as the state firearm, since West Virginia this year observes its 150th birthday.
    SmokinFool and Tzed250 like this.
    Concealed means hidden from ordinary observation so as to prevent disclosure or recognition. A deadly weapon is concealed when it is carried on or about the person in such a manner that another person in the ordinary course of events would not be placed on notice that the weapon was being carried.

VIP Member
    Very interesting! I'm glad WV isn't afraid to show the historical rifle in a positive light. With what's going on elsewhere in the US I definitely think it's significant! I'm pretty sure CA or NY wouldn't be doing this.
    SmokinFool likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

I'm glad to see this!

Re: WV Senate unveils official state firearm

That's great!

After the AWB passes, we'll all be allowed to have one just like it... Or, just one like it...

I think... Maybe.

It doesn't have a pistol grip, does it?
    msgt/ret, RookWV and SmokinFool like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I hope that they aren't showing the only future firearm one can own...
    SmokinFool likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I was kinda hoping it would be an AR

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I hope that they aren't showing the only future firearm one can own...
    It certainly would be, if some had their way.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    This rifle in West Virginia is the official state firearm and a historical masterpiece. Send it to New York, California or Michigan and it automatically becomes an assault rifle.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Cool,really cool in today's climate.

VIP Member
    Was almost afraid to read the article. Was afraid I'd see they made the Glock the official state weapon!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Don't they know that this gun was the "assault rifle" of it's day? Doesn't that make it evil???
    RookWV likes this.

Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by Tzed250 View Post
    Montani Semper Liberi
    Mountaineers are Always Free!

Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    Don't they know that this gun was the "assault rifle" of it's day? Doesn't that make it evil???
    Only if it's black.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Links