Chicagoans Thoughts on the Second Amendment

This is a discussion on Chicagoans Thoughts on the Second Amendment within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, in Florida it seems like most people here are from somewhere else. I met some friends of mine at the beach today and they ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Chicagoans Thoughts on the Second Amendment

Well, in Florida it seems like most people here are from somewhere else. I met some friends of mine at the beach today and they had other friends there with them. My buddy says, "Hey, I've got a shirt for ya I'm sure you'll love." He brings me a large light grey shirt with a big revolver on it and it says "Second Amendment" and proceeds to have the full text of the 2A spelled out on it.

Well, their friends there are from Chicago and visit here every winter. They ask to see the shirt and he shows it to them. One lady reads it word for word and one guy says, "Isn't that some old thing from way back when?" and another says "Yeah, some old timey law or something." These are grown men in their 60s!!!

Well, I replied, "Yeah, like from The Constitution, you know THE BILL OF RIGHTS, like, still in effect except where states have stripped people of their rights unconstitutionally."

One guy said, "Well, yall don't need guns down here but what scares me is everybody has one. This is the most dangerous country in the world. I mean, what if some guy over there had a gun and they got in an argument and they started shooting? Where am I going to hide?" I said, "You mean some guy like me for example? What if I had a gun? I've had guns for over 30 years and I have yet to shoot anyone."

The discussion continued and I explained how getting my permit actually made me much calmer, de-ecalating, and avoiding situations. In the end, they seemed fine with it, but I was flabbergasted when they had no idea WHAT IT WAS OR THAT IT WAS STILL RELEVANT!!!

I might not be surprised is a teenager didn't have a clue, but men in their late 60s???? Geeeez
    NONAME762 and bigmacque like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I was visiting a friend of mine,in myrtle beach,s.c.,this past summer.She works at Bassproshop.I stopped by to see her,while i was down.She was behind the gun counter and was talking to 4 people from up north,who came down for july 4th week.It was their first visit here,they said.It just blew their minds,when they saw all the guns.When she told them,if they lived here,they could buy a gun,and take it home the same day,they couldn't comprehend that,smh.I'm not sure they believed her.

We're just one generation away from losing everything. Holder said the goal is to re-educate the youth to demonize guns just like they have done with tobacco and the raping of the earth. I recently read about kids as late as the 70's taking their guns to school for show and tell and for after school hunting. Now cupcakes and poptarts are grounds for suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    One lady reads it word for word and one guy says, "Isn't that some old thing from way back when?" and another says "Yeah, some old timey law or something." These are grown men in their 60s!!!

Well, I replied, "Yeah, like from The Constitution, you know THE BILL OF RIGHTS, like, still in effect except where states have stripped people of their rights unconstitutionally."

In the end, they seemed fine with it, but I was flabbergasted when they had no idea WHAT IT WAS OR THAT IT WAS STILL RELEVANT!!!
    And that's what we're dealing with. Apathetic, ignorant, unaware of our history, unaware of where we're going because of it.

Have got family who sees the 2A just that way. Can't see the forest for the trees, and equates "guns" with crime, and only that, instead of with the ability of a free people to remain free.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by niks View Post
    We're just one generation away from losing everything. Holder said the goal is to re-educate the youth to demonize guns just like they have done with tobacco and the raping of the earth. I recently read about kids as late as the 70's taking their guns to school for show and tell and for after school hunting. Now cupcakes and poptarts are grounds for suspension.
    I know what you mean. Problem is, I don't think we are a generation away anymore...I think its here already.
    SmokinFool and oakchas like this.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

The media (and the politicians speaking through the media) in Chicago have been relentlessly trying to brainwash the public to think guns are "evil". Unfortunately, they are obviously succeeding. They've really ramped up their propaganda since the court decision a few months ago that IL needs to figure out concealed carry. The reporting bias is flat out frightening. They've literally got citizens frightened to leave their homes because of how much violence having a CCW law would cause. Funny thing is, if you try and use some logic in your argument, most people I've encountered realize that CCW laws won't make them unsafe. For instance, ask an anti from IL if they've ever gone vacationing/visiting in WI, IN, MI etc. of course the answer is always yes. Then press them - did they realize those states have CCW laws? Did they feel terrified and stay in their hotel the entire time? Once you get people to think through the situation and get over the politician/media propaganda that they've been fed most are actually ok with CCW. It's all about education.
    SmokinFool likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rugergunner View Post
    I know what you mean. Problem is, I don't think we are a generation away anymore...I think its here already.
    Right now we have a fighting chance to hold it back. Like a finger in the dyke, the pressure is building.
    SmokinFool likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Usually it is the younger crowd with these views; The college educated with elitist mentalities. Other than that, the fact they are from Chicago should explain the rest.

Re: Chicagoans Thoughts on the Second Amendment

Got to agree with Ruger ... Probably not a generation away.

That said, for a time in my youth, I was the unofficial "mayor" of Rush street, Chicago.

My home town... Before I could graduate from junior high, I had to pass a test on the Illinois Constitution, and another on theConstitution of the United States Of America.

I am about 15 years away from 70. I know better than them old fogies. 2A ain't no old timey law.
    SmokinFool likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

The more armed and educated citizens there are the safer I feel.
    SmokinFool and NONAME762 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post

I might not be surprised is a teenager didn't have a clue, but men in their late 60s???? Geeeez
    Uhhh, dude... We have people on here that don't get it.
    SmokinFool and bigmacque like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Well...I'll soon be moving down your way from Denver but I'm originally fom The Chicagoland area. I'd like to say that we're not all like that but it is a completely different mentality when it comes to guns there. For one, we just generally aren't as exposed to a gun culture there except when it pertains to gang activity. I've nearly been shot twice in my life and both times were whithin a two month period when I lived in an "up and coming" neighborhood in Chicago in my mid twenities. Unfortunately, when people think about guns in Chicago, it generally relates to crime and gang violence.

That's not to say there aren't plenty of responsible gun owners there, but you just don't see it and you don't hear about it much. I think the law-abiding gun owners might keep a low profile because they know that the city machine doesn't want them to have any guns.

It's sad but with all the "regulations" Illinoians in general and Chicagoans in particular have been subjected to over the years, many have come to believe that the Second Amendment is just some "old timey law". When I first moved to Colorado, I thought my buddy was pulling my chain when he told me I could buy a gun and take it home the same day. I think people are starting to wake up though. This new push for gun control has opened a lot of eyes. Hopefully enough to stop these ********!
    SmokinFool and BugDude like this.

To Darrow,
    It is now sad that Colorado is on soft ground. Who woulda thunk that?

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Uhhh, dude... We have people on here that don't get it.
    Far too many, sadly.

And so, the beat goes on, hopefully beating down the liberty-haters ... whatever it takes.
    TX expat likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by niks View Post
    To Darrow,
    It is now sad that Colorado is on soft ground. Who woulda thunk that?
    Agreed. I do think that the Dems here just poked a sleeping bear with a stick. Many of them will no longer be "serving the people" come 2014 and 2016.

Alas...I will no longer be here to help throw them out on their butts. I have tropical breezes and palm trees in my near future but I've still been writing them and telling them that they are through come the next election.
    niks and SmokinFool like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links