Here's a gun control proposal that I would support!

This is a discussion on Here's a gun control proposal that I would support! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Never thought I would say this, but this is one "gun control" proposal I would support: ------------------- Ken Braun: A gun control proposal that everyone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Here's a gun control proposal that I would support!

Here's a gun control proposal that I would support!

Never thought I would say this, but this is one "gun control" proposal I would support:

-------------------
    Ken Braun: A gun control proposal that everyone should support | MLive.com

"By one estimate, cited by the Cato Institute, American citizens have their homes and private property invaded 40,000 times per year by their governmentís use of para-military police raids. There are obviously cases where SWAT teams are sent after clearly dangerous and violent criminals that need to spend many years in a cage.

But these home invasions are too often used against non-violent drug offenders, sometimes in situations - such as the Torres matter - where there isnít even a clear crime being committed. Most alarmingly, they can also happen when bad information and mistakes send cops to the wrong doors."

"During the last session of the Michigan Legislature, conservative State Rep. Tom McMillin, R-Rochester Hills, tried to change this with House Bill 4857. It would have required a twice-yearly report from every SWAT team in Michigan. They would need to list the location of each raid, the legal reason for it, the details of what happened, whether shots were fired, what was seized and who was arrested. A similar law in Maryland revealed that 4.5 homes per day were being raided.

McMillin introduced the bill following the death of a 7-year old Detroit girl who was killed during a Detroit police SWAT raid on her home. The only weapon fired was from the gun of one of the officers, who claimed (falsely) that the girlís aunt reached for his weapon. Yet his only shot struck the little girl in the neck."

"If our current gun control debate leads to more firearm background checks on law abiding citizens, then the least our government owes us is a public background check when it points its guns at us."

---------------
    I love that last line!

2. Remove Ads

I would support this too, but not for gun control but rather for government accountability.
    If we put as much effort into government control as some do to gun control, this once great country could be Great again!
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by dV8r View Post
    I would support this too, but not for gun control but rather for government accountability.
    If we put as much effort into government control as some do to gun control, this once great country could be Great again!
    The bold is a truth that can not be said enough....
    airslot, Aquaman and Ghost1958 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Couldn't agree more.. If the citizens are held accountable, why can't we hold our government accountable?
    SmokinFool likes this.
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Kudos to State Rep. Tom McMillin.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Yup, that's why I put "gun control" in quotes in my original posting.
    dV8r likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadsmiles View Post
    Couldn't agree more.. If the citizens are held accountable, why can't we hold our government accountable?
    Our Government is supposed to always be accountable to its citizens. The Government is suppose to get its power from its citizens. We have gotten away form that. It is my deepest hope that we find our way back to this most important principal.
    Ghost1958, dV8r, sdprof and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    Our Government is supposed to always be accountable to its citizens. The Government is suppose to get its power from its citizens. We have gotten away form that. It is my deepest hope that we find our way back to this most important principal.
    My hope as well. Unfortunately, it's beginning to look as if it won't happen peacefully.
    Ghost1958 and CIBMike like this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ó George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

I'd support such government accountability reform as well. Top to bottom.

Guns have nothing to do with it, though.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    "If our current gun control debate leads to more firearm background checks on law abiding citizens, then the least our government owes us is a public background check when it points its guns at us."

Not exactly sure what this is supposed to entail, perhaps more transparency of gov't?-Sure, I bet BO would sign right on to that idea. If the whole point of the article was to point out how many unlawful raids on private homes are conducted by the police, that doesnt inspire much confidence in where this whole scenario could be heading. As far as I'm concerned. So long as they are driving/biking/walking/segwaying etc. in the opposite direction that Im headed, I breath a little bit easier.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    In the current climate, the government will never put controls on itself. We are way past controlling our government. Think 1936 or so...

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadsmiles View Post
    You don't really want an answer to that; do you?
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I'd support such government accountability reform as well. Top to bottom.

Guns have nothing to do with it, though.
    It has to do with everything the government does (or doesn't do), guns included.

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    In the current climate, the government will never put controls on itself. We are way past controlling our government. Think 1936 or so...
    It's never too late, unless and until we become full subjects. Whenever there are people who refuse to become subjects, there is always hope.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    How can help you make this happen?
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links