Colorado sheriff refuses to enforce gun-control bills

This is a discussion on Colorado sheriff refuses to enforce gun-control bills within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Weld County Sheriff John Cooke told The Greeley Tribune that Democratic lawmakers are scrambling after recent mass shootings, and the bills are "feel-good, knee-jerk reactions ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Colorado sheriff refuses to enforce gun-control bills

Colorado sheriff refuses to enforce gun-control bills

Weld County Sheriff John Cooke told The Greeley Tribune that Democratic lawmakers are scrambling after recent mass shootings, and the bills are "feel-good, knee-jerk reactions that are unenforceable."

He and other sheriffs are considering suing the state to block the measures if they are signed into law.
    Colo. sheriff refuses to enforce gun-control bills - Yahoo! News
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

2. Remove Ads

64 counties, there. Without the muscle behind the arresting agencies, actual hands-on implementation of such gun-grabber policies gets decidedly more difficult.

United we stand. Divided we fall.
    sixgun, Ghost1958 and EdJean like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It's good to see there are law enforcement officers in CO who have the courage to stand up for the Constitution.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

62 County Sheriffs are all standing together against these bills.
    Ghost1958 and SmokinFool like this.
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

VIP Member
    Gee, throughout the 47 years I worked I never had a boss who would be OK with my not
    doing my job.

How would you really feel about it if you had a sheriff who decided he would not
    enforce DWI laws because, you know, I like one now and then as much as the next guy, and who
    is the State Legislature, Governor, to tell me what to do? You know, "it says right here in The Declaration
    I have a g-d given right to pursue happiness, I'm not gonna interfere with another man's g-d given rights"

You all know how long that would last.

If they or anyone else thinks the law passed violates the Colorado or US Constitution, they are more
    than welcome to test that in the appropriate forums provided for in both of those documents.
    More power if they do that and prevail. At least they'd be doing their job and following the law.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

The sheriffs don,t work for the legislature or the governor, they work for the people of their county. Since the Constitution is the law of the land that they swore to uphold, I'd say they got it right. Its thr legislators and the governors that have it wrong.
    jbum, EdJean, Tzadik and 5 others like this.

Not to worry. As we all know it has been posted here many times that nobody will actually have the will or nerve to resist being made into subjects of a monarchy. Much less a whole states worth of Sheriffs depts.
    I kinda doubt if they are worried much about what a few Federal Govermentment do whatever it likes because it says it can regardless folks opinions of them are. They are showing on a very small microscopic and mild scale of what will happen in this nation if this madness isnt withdrawn.

I deeply fear Somebody on the Fed level is going to drop this ember in the wrong hayfield and be engulfed in an inferno they never saw coming. I keep praying they will wise up before they do.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Gee, throughout the 47 years I worked I never had a boss who would be OK with my not
    doing my job.

If they or anyone else thinks the law passed violates the Colorado or US Constitution, they are more than welcome to test that in the appropriate forums provided for in both of those documents. More power if they do that and prevail. At least they'd be doing their job and following the law.
    This is still a confederation of allied states of free citizens. Sheriffs included. Beyond which, they've all sworn an oath to the People (not to the legislature, the AG or anyone else) to protect, defend and uphold the Constitution. Sworn to do it. If in their judgment an unlawful order comes down to do something that is in clear violation of that oath and the Constitution, a strong case can be made it's their duty and responsibility to defy such unlawful demands.

They are indeed more than welcome to test out that theory: oath keeping in the face of unconstitutional demands. More power to them, indeed.
    Jetfuelrm and Ghost1958 like this.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

doing my job.

How would you really feel about it if you had a sheriff who decided he would not
    enforce DWI laws because, you know, I like one now and then as much as the next guy, and who
    is the State Legislature, Governor, to tell me what to do? You know, "it says right here in The Declaration
    I have a g-d given right to pursue happiness, I'm not gonna interfere with another man's g-d given rights"

If they or anyone else thinks the law passed violates the Colorado or US Constitution, they are more
    than welcome to test that in the appropriate forums provided for in both of those documents.
    More power if they do that and prevail. At least they'd be doing their job and following the law.
    Apples and Anchovies comparison. Though the DWI laws are about worthless as well as far as being effective.
    But I digress.

Getting drunk and driving is asking to kill someone. Now if you only kill yourself well have at it as far as Im concerned yourself being generic Hop not you personally. You have the right to get as drunk as a skunk if thats what makes you happy. Or drink yourself to death. You just cant kill someone else in the process of making yourself happy.

Taking a gun and killing someone except in SD is already against the law. The constitution didnt say you can go murder someone because it makes you happy. You cant take your firearm and shoot at people because you think its fun. Whole other can of snakes.

These Sheriffs God bless em, are standing up for our constitutional right to keep and bear arms as they should. Against a bunch of illegal and unconstitutional laws. They are upholding the law by honoring their oath of office to protect the Constitution against ALL enemies.
    ccw9mm and Jetfuelrm like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

doing my job.

You're comparing apples to oranges, Hopyard.. First of all, laws against drinking and driving are enforced just like drinking and playing with your gun.. It's a no no.. But for the government to enact such policies that are unenforceable is pure ludicrous. There is no evidence whatsoever that a 15 round limit, background checks on private sales, etc. has ever decreased violence. So now why would you be in favor of wasting more of our tax dollars on LEOs doing an impossible job?

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadsmiles View Post
    62 County Sheriffs are all standing together against these bills.
    62 of 64. That ain't bad.

Does anyone know who the 2 holdouts in CO are??
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Apples and Anchovies comparison. Though the DWI laws are about worthless as well as far as being effective.
    But I digress.

Getting drunk and driving is asking to kill someone. Now if you only kill yourself well have at it as far as Im concerned yourself being generic Hop not you personally. You have the right to get as drunk as a skunk if thats what makes you happy. Or drink yourself to death. You just cant kill someone else in the process of making yourself happy.

Taking a gun and killing someone except in SD is already against the law. The constitution didnt say you can go murder someone because it makes you happy. You cant take your firearm and shoot at people because you think its fun. Whole other can of snakes.

These Sheriffs God bless em, are standing up for our constitutional right to keep and bear arms as they should. Against a bunch of illegal and unconstitutional laws. They are upholding the law by honoring their oath of office to protect the Constitution against ALL enemies.
    Damn.. You beat me to it

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    62 of 64. That ain't bad.

Does anyone know who the 2 holdouts in CO are??
    I believe Boulder and Denver.. Go figure..

Administrator
    enforce DWI laws because, you know, I like one now and then as much as the next guy,

I was about to critize HopYard for his (above) posting but, then I did some Constitutional research and discovered that he is 100% correct.

How could I have missed it all these years?

A well intoxicated American being sometimes necessary to endanger other innocent people by being in a totally drunken state, the right of the people to get crocked to the gills and drive shall not be infringed.

Now...I can better understand WHY the County Sheriffs would refuse to enforce the DWI laws.

Sometimes I feel so stupid.

bigbadsmiles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    They are showing on a very small microscopic and mild scale of what will happen in this nation if this madness isnt withdrawn.

I deeply fear Somebody on the Fed level is going to drop this ember in the wrong hayfield and be engulfed in an inferno they never saw coming. I keep praying they will wise up before they do.
    Too late.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links