Revised Obama / Biden Playbook on the "Gun Safety Initiative"

This is a discussion on Revised Obama / Biden Playbook on the "Gun Safety Initiative" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just listened to an interesting interview with Joe Biden on NPR. He basically laid out their new playbook - a kinder, gentler gun control (Oh, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Revised Obama / Biden Playbook on the "Gun Safety Initiative"

Revised Obama / Biden Playbook on the "Gun Safety Initiative"

Just listened to an interesting interview with Joe Biden on NPR. He basically laid out their new playbook - a kinder, gentler gun control (Oh, I mean "Gun Safety Initiative" - their marketing spin to try to gain broader appeal because everyone wants gun safety (just think about the "Patriot Act," and you you would be unpatriotic if you disagreed with it)). Very interesting as you can see even more of the divide and conquer approach, along with supposed statistics on why these things are common sense and agreed to by almost everyone.

They may not be winning all of the battles, but they haven't given up on winning the war.

Note: There will be the audio podcast from this interview in a few hours at Biden: Administration Still Fighting For Assault Weapons Ban : It's All Politics : NPR

2. Remove Ads

I had no doubt they will push for as much (or more) as they think they can get away with, hoping something will stick.

I found the below quote disturbing:

"And [in] the recent decision declaring the right of someone to own a weapon in their home for self-protection, Justice [Antonin] Scalia acknowledged that you can constitutionally ban certain types of weapons. So I haven't given up on this."

I knew Scotus leaving this door partially open would come back to bite us in the butt. This will give them the out they need to pass more restrictions, if not now, then at a later time.

As usual, spin, spin, spin or should I say lie, lie, lie.
    I'm confused maybe someone can help me understand. If the majority of Americans and gun owners agree then why isn't Reid including the assault weapons ban in the legislation he plans on introducing?
    SmokinFool, CIBMike and BigStick like this.
    NRA Life Member
    R1200RT
    Remember, math is your friend not your enemy!

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
    As usual, spin, spin, spin or should I say lie, lie, lie.
    That's exactly it. Things like "there is no constitutional right to have large capacity magazines," and "fewer people would have been killed in Newtown if the shooter needed to reload since the police responded in 2.5 minutes," etc. The NPR reporter actually pushed-back on several points, something you usually don't see from them.

There were two big take-aways from my perspective:

1. Change the name and image of what they are trying to do to make it appeal to a broader set of Americans

2. Start taking pieces out and passing them as separate legislation and eventually you will get everything you want.
    SmokinFool likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cn262 View Post
    Just listened to an interesting interview with Joe Biden on NPR. He basically laid out their new playbook - a kinder, gentler gun control (Oh, I mean "Gun Safety Initiative" - their marketing spin to try to gain broader appeal because everyone wants gun safety ...
    Nice to have the intent laid out there. Unsurprising, really, given the heavy push-back the liberty-haters are getting on all of this. They've got to soften the anti-gunner liberty attacks, if they're going to have a hope of passing the pap they're pushing.
    SmokinFool likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Feinstein is determined that the ban, mag ban, etc. will be voted onto it as a amendment....
    SmokinFool likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Feinstein is determined that the ban, mag ban, etc. will be voted onto it as a amendment....
    Which is sneak-speak for it being slipped in relatively unnoticed. Keep the eyes and ears on that bird.
    SmokinFool likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Those buttclowns will continue re-naming their same old anti-gun agenda until they can stand there with a straight face and call it "Pro-Gun Legislation." I can just hear them now: "We're Pro-gun...only Pros should have guns."
    G26Raven likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Reliable guns properly holstered on the hips of responsible law-abiding citizens ensure their safety. That's my gun safety initiative.
    CIBMike, TVille and SmokinFool like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Gun Control-Gun Safety Initiative, semantics, after all doesn’t Refuse Disposal Engineer sound so much better than garbage collector?
    SmokinFool likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

the best part is " if you can't hit a deer with 3 rounds you shouldn't be hunting, you're an embarrassment (7:50)'' haha that's coming from the guy that wants you to shoot in the air to scare off the BG. he said it, banning "high" capacity magazines doesn't really fix the problem.(8:40)
    SmokinFool likes this.
    DPMS AR-15
    Mossberg 835 Ulti-MAG
    M&P .40sw
    M&P Shield .40sw

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    That's it right there. They will pare everything down until they have a package they feel has a reasonable chance of passing, and then they will try to attach several amendments (AWB, High cap mag ban, etc.) so in the end, they are trying to get everything they want, just using a different tactic. I wonder if Feinstein's indignence at having Reid pull her bill is faked. She has known for a long time that the only way she had a chance of passing her pet project was to have it added as an amendment to another bill.

Never underestimate your enemy. They are highly skilled at what they do and have a long record of successes. You may scoff at their physical appearance at their verbal gaffs but make no mistake: they are deadly serious and they will win - unless we can convince/convert the other members of our team and shake them out of the apathy that has infested the grey matter of virtually all Americans. This is our fight and it is easy to be lulled into complacency since it is waged from comfort and luxury of 21st century America. Stay vigilant and offer no quarter.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    What's next, the "I love children and if you oppsoe me you must want them all dead" bill?

Do NOT FORGET.

Currently Congress is working on a budget... and the "continuing resolution"

The Smoke and Mirrors of the Congressional Budget Process - Economic Intelligence (usnews.com)

The last time something to do with money had anything to do with guns was when congress passed the Credit card act (Card holders "bill of rights") and they stuck on the carry in federal parks law...

It would not surprise me if any one of the gun grabber's laws ended up buried in one of the budget proposals. or in the continuing resolution. The Budgets are huge, averaging about 1300 pages...

And don't forget, sometimes you "have to pass" these bills "to find out what's in 'em."
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links