Oath for Sheriffs in your state -- wording?

This is a discussion on Oath for Sheriffs in your state -- wording? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Two things: What is the specific wording of the oath that your county sheriffs swear, in terms of protecting and defending the constitution and laws? ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm

Thread: Oath for Sheriffs in your state -- wording?

Two things:

1. What is the specific wording of the oath that your county sheriffs swear, in terms of protecting and defending the constitution and laws?

2. Has your own county sheriff come out publicly, recently, in committing to upholding that sworn oath (yes/no)?

It might be interesting to see the similarities and differences.

Note: Let's keep the politics out of this thread, as there are plenty of others covering it well. Let's just report the oath phrasing, here.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

KENTUCKY -- oath

1. Oath

Kentucky Constitution, section 228 -- Oath of Officers and Attorneys:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm, as the case may be) that I will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of this Commonwealth, and be faithful and true to the Commonwealth of Kentucky so long as I continue a citizen thereof, and that I will faithfully execute, to the best of my ability, the office of .... according to law ..."

2. To my knowledge, this sheriff has not come out publicly in the past few months stating he would defy unconstitutional infringements on the Second Amendment.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

VIP Member
    Great thread topic. Thanks.

Texas Oath Of Office

For Texas:

Elected Officials, Law Enforcement, and levels of Government Employees in Texas take this oath.

Section 5.08. Oath of office.

Every officer of the city shall, before entering upon the duties of his office, take and subscribe to the following oath of affirmation to be filed and kept in the office of the city secretary.
    "I, ________________, do solemnly swear (or affirm), that I will faithfully execute the duties of the office ________________, of the City of Lewisville, State of Texas, and will to the best of my ability preserve, protect and defend the Constitution and Laws of the United States and of this State and the Charter and Ordinances of this city; and I furthermore solemnly swear (or affirm), that I have not directly or indirectly paid, offered, or promised to pay, contributed, nor promised to contribute any money or valuable thing, or promised any public office or employment as a reward for the giving or withholding a vote at the election at which I was elected, or if the office is one of appointment, to secure my appointment. So help me God."

Note the oath requires, "defending laws of the United States and of this State."

2) As far as I know there have been no public statements regarding the issue by officials in this
    county. It would be an obvious oath violation to refuse to enforce the laws of this state as some in CO seem to be saying they will do regarding their state laws.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

South Dakota Constitution, Article 21, 3

Oath of office. Every person elected or appointed to any office in this state, except such inferior offices as may be by law exempted, shall, before entering upon the duties thereof, take an oath or affirmation to support the Constitution of the United States and of this state, and faithfully to discharge the duties of his office.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Sheriffs take the following oath according to T.C.A. 8-8-104:

I________ do solemnly swear that I will perform with fidelity the duties of the office
    to which I have been elected, and which I am about to assume. I do
    solemnly swear to support the constitutions of Tennessee and the United
    States and to faithfully perform the duties of the office of sheriff
    for________ County, Tennessee. I further swear that I have not
    promised or given, nor will I give any fee, gift, gratuity, or reward for this
    office or for aid in procuring this office; that I will not take any fee, gift, or
    bribe, or gratuity for returning any person as a juror or for making any false
    return of any process and that I will faithfully execute the office of sheriff to
    the best of my knowledge and ability, agreeably to law.

Im not aware of any public statement in regards to the 2nd amendment.

I wasn't able to find the oath of office for my state (WV) by doing a quick google search, but I did find an article written by Sheriff Larry Amerson, President, National Sheriffs’ Association. It says, in part:

While there is no doubt that in many states the Office of Sheriff is deemed to be the chief county law enforcement official with significant and special powers and duties, these additional powers and duties do not derive from the oath of office taken by any individual sheriff.

Here is a link to the article if anyone is interested:

What Is the Legal Meaning of a Sheriff?s Oath of Office? @ Berkeley County Sheriff Department

West Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    I wasn't able to find the oath of office for my state (WV) by doing a quick google search ...

Here's info from the state constitution -- West Virginia Constitution, Article IV, section 4-5:

4-5. Oath or affirmation to support the constitution.

Every person elected or appointed to any office, before proceeding to exercise the authority, or discharge the duties thereof, shall make oath or affirmation that he will support the constitution of the United States and the constitution of this state, and that he will faithfully discharge the duties of his said office to the best of his skill and judgment; and no other oath, declaration, or test shall be required as a qualification, unless herein otherwise provided.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; March 21st, 2013 at 08:38 AM.

Two Ky sheriffs that I know of have come out saying they will not enforce or allow enforcement in their counties. Jackson is one and I think Hardin the other. tomorrow if I can run him down my own counties sheriff will tell at least one member of the public where he stands. Me.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Here's info from the state constitution -- West Virginia Constitution, Article IV, section 4-5:

4-5. Oath or affirmation to support the constitution.

Every person elected or appointed to any office, before proceeding to exercise the authority, or discharge the duties thereof, shall make oath or affirmation that he will support the constitution of the United States and the constitution of this state, and that he will faithfully discharge the duties of his said office to the best of his skill and judgment; and no other oath, declaration, or test shall be required as a qualification, unless herein otherwise provided.
    I thank you for that. Don't know why I couldn't find it. It's pretty bad when you have to have someone from a different state find info from the state constitution.

California....

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm, as the case may be) that I will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of this Commonwealth, and be faithful and true to the Commonwealth of California so long as I continue a citizen thereof, and that I will faithfully execute, to the best of my ability, the office of .... according to law ..." Unless Senator Feinstein deems otherwise.......
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Iowa:

I, ......, do solemnly swear that I will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Iowa, and that I will faithfully and impartially, to the best of my ability, discharge all the duties of the office of ..... (naming it) in (naming the township, city, county, district, or state, as the case may be), as now or hereafter required by law.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Sponsored Links