WSJ: The failure of the "assault weapons" ban should make Americans proud.

This is a discussion on WSJ: The failure of the "assault weapons" ban should make Americans proud. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A Defeat for Demagogy The failure of the "assault weapons" ban should make Americans proud. By JAMES TARANTO ................ Reason's Jacob Sullum rightly celebrates the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: WSJ: The failure of the "assault weapons" ban should make Americans proud.

Post WSJ: The failure of the "assault weapons" ban should make Americans proud.

A Defeat for Demagogy

The failure of the "assault weapons" ban should make Americans proud.
    By JAMES TARANTO

Reason's Jacob Sullum rightly celebrates the Feinstein proposal's failure as "a victory not just for the Second Amendment but for rationality in lawmaking":

The closer you looked at the bill, the less sense it made, a fact that Feinstein tried to paper over by encouraging people to conflate semi-automatic, military-style rifles with the machine guns carried by soldiers. . . . It was not enough to obscure the absurdity of Feinsten's attempt to distinguish between good and evil guns by reference to irrelevant features such as barrel shrouds and adjustable stocks. With no evidence or arguments to offer, Feinstein despicably invoked dead, "dismembered" children in a transparent bid to short-circuit logical thought.

Not only did the effort fail, it wasn't even close. Despite the Democrats' 55-seat majority, it didn't take a Senate filibuster to sink the Feinstein proposal, which wasn't even close to majority support. Politico.com quoted Majority Leader Harry Reid as saying that "her amendment, using the most optimistic numbers, has less than 40 votes." (It's not clear if he meant "optimistic" from the viewpoint of supporters or opponents.)

Demagogy is a hazard of democracy; one reason we have a bill of rights is to protect individuals against the political temptation to offer up scapegoats to satisfy their constituents' emotions. (See yesterday's column for another example.) But this effort failed notwithstanding the undeniable emotional pull of a horrific crime against children. Americans should be proud whenever our political system proves this resistant to unreason.
    Best of the Web Today: A Defeat for Demagogy - WSJ.com

I found the above interesting because she only got 40 or so lined up to help. Bennett and Udall would have, but she couldn't get it far enough and they're smart enough to avoid stupid on arrival legislation.

Having said that, there is STILL a lot of free-floating stupidity in our Capitol, so stay informed and in touch!

UBC's, Trafficking Rules, the UN Idiocy........We still have many risks!
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; March 21st, 2013 at 12:34 PM.
    OD*, RickyD, Jeanlouise and 8 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I hope the prices start dropping now on rifles and semi-autos.
    RomeoZulu and mano3 like this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    You just know there are a lot of Democratic Senators dropping to their knees in prayer and thanksgiving that they didn't have to vote on that bill!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Consider the massive effort the federal government put into operation fast and furious for a miniscule power grab over the private sectors ability to sell firearms. IE: demand letter 3. If they would go through all of that trouble for the ability to track some gun sales, then Fienstien's bill was knowingly doomed from the start - and merely a distraction for other legislation. It was only a drop in the bucket.

You don't need a tin foil hat to see that there is a "war on guns" in this country. It won't be going away any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    You just know there are a lot of Democratic Senators dropping to their knees in prayer and thanksgiving that they didn't have to vote on that bill!
    True, but there are still the 40 that would have voted for it. We know who they are and its time to do some house cleaning....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    True, but there are still the 40 that would have voted for it. We know who they are and its time to do some house cleaning....
    Is there a list somewhere of the 40? It would be good to see those names.
    CIBMike and Ghost1958 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    They already are. You can already pick up basic ARs for $900 or less and basic AKs for $700 or less. Two months ago they were double that.

Magazines are back and you can pick them up in stock for $13 online. Uppers and lowers are now available.

Not to mention, all of these people that panic bought and maxed out their CCs will probably look to panic sell now that they see the AWB has failed.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Is there a list somewhere of the 40? It would be good to see those names.
    That I am not sure of. If I do find something I will post it for you....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    So true. Yet how many times have I heard some buffoon standing in front of a microphone, quoting some false statistic that a vast majority of Americans support gun ban legislation?

I'm tired of the lies. I'm especially tired of no accountability for these so-called public servants.
    wmhawth, phreddy, Tzadik and 4 others like this.

The List of Less Than 40 will probably not be published (no votes taken, just informal polls by Reid), but we could probably guess many of them. By keeping it private, the Senators can use "it" as they see fit, based on which constituency they are using for fund raising.
    Jeanlouise likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    The List of Less Than 40 will probably not be published (no votes taken, just informal polls by Reid), but we could probably guess many of them. By keeping it private, the Senators can use "it" as they see fit, based on which constituency they are using for fund raising.
    It appalls me that the People's business done by our hired servants is done in such ways that's unknown to the People, unreported to the People. Hard to know there even were 40 without making a count, and documenting that count was simple enough to do.

If not counted and documented, it was obviously (IMO) done for nefarious reasons that have nothing to do with proper governance but everything to do with potential future leverage and/or malfeasance by folks seeking to slip us a "fast" one. These back-door "screwing" deals are maddening.

Who were the less than 40?

Unknown who the 40 were, for certain, but it's a good bet that 22 of them are the key sponsors of the S.150 bill:

Mrs. FEINSTEIN (for herself, Mr. SCHUMER, Mr. DURBIN, Mr. WHITEHOUSE, Mr. BLUMENTHAL, Mr. LEVIN, Mr. ROCKEFELLER, Ms. MIKULSKI, Mrs. BOXER, Mr. REED, Mr. LAUTENBERG, Mr. MENENDEZ, Mr. CARDIN, Mrs. GILLIBRAND, Mr. SCHATZ, Mr. MURPHY, Ms. WARREN, Mr. CARPER, Mr. FRANKEN, Ms. HIRONO, Ms. KLOBUCHAR, and Mr. COWAN). -- Taken from the bill text of S.150.

A number of the additional folks can probably be found on the stage during the dog-and-pony show when the initial bill was loosed on the People.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

After months of negotiation, four bills came to the Senate Judiciary Committee last week, reflecting President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden's agenda for post-Sandy Hook action. The first makes straw purchasing and gun trafficking a felony and boosts the penalties for those crimes. Another would expand background checks to include private sales at gun shows and elsewhere. A third would boost spending on school safety programs. And lastly there's a push to ban assault weapons and large ammunition magazines.

The gun trafficking measure passed out of committee last week with the backing of Democrats and one Republican, the ranking minority member Chuck Grassley. It is likely to pass the full Senate next week and should eventually pass the House and become law. But it has less to do with Sandy Hook than with Fast and Furious. Over the last two years Republicans alleged that the White House and Justice Department conspired in a botched gun running investigation in Arizona called Fast and Furious. It was a whacky theory and was debunked by a widely praised Inspector General's report. But it's now hard for Republicans to oppose a bill that makes gun running a felony and boosts penalties for the crime after they made such a big deal of the case.

The most extreme Fast and Furious conspiracy theorists said the administration allowed gun running on the U.S.-Mexican border to build support for federal gun control. So the bill's passage would be a rare example of true irony (or if you're a fact-free type, proof the conspiracy theorists were right all along). In any case, gun backers may not have much to worry about.

The three other bills, which nominally are intended to address specific elements of the Sandy Hook massacre, were delayed in committee last week and face an uncertain future the Senate floor and in the House.

The assault weapons ban is already near death, and so is the ban on large capacity magazines. Even Senate Majority leader Harry Reid has declined to support a ban and voted against the 1994 bill that expired in 2004. Grassley and other Senate Judiciary Committee Republicans are already out against both the assault weapons ban and the prohibition on large capacity magazine clips.
    Read more: Blog: Gun control efforts dying in Congress

Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

The List of Less Than 40:

We should probably add Bennett and Udall to the list.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; March 21st, 2013 at 02:54 PM.

...it's not nap-time yet, folks...stay vigilant...

I don't know what will happen,so far as what federal laws may or may not be passed,but,i'm truly grateful,no politicians in S.C.,has tried to ban anything.Out of four that i have emailed,i haven't got any negative responses.That said,they are politicians,and i can only hope they mean what they have said.I haven't seen or read, anything so far,to make me think otherwise.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    Well, just like 4 years ago, Gunbroker will be flooded with overpriced rifles as panic buyers try to get their money back...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links