A Great Explanation on the Evils of Universal Background Checks

This is a discussion on A Great Explanation on the Evils of Universal Background Checks within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Gun control: Why the fight over universal background checks is the key "The [universal background check] will require any citizen selling their gun to go ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: A Great Explanation on the Evils of Universal Background Checks

VIP Member

Gun control: Why the fight over universal background checks is the key

"The [universal background check] will require any citizen selling their gun to go through their local FFL [Federal Firearms Licensed] dealer. That means: you find someone who wants to purchase your firearm. Both of you go to a gun store and pay the gun store a processing fee to do the paperwork on the sale... and if everything turns out okay, the purchaser comes back 30 days later and picks up his gun. If everything does not turn out okay (e.g. if the purchaser has an unpaid parking ticket from 5 years ago) then the sale does NOT go through..."

There is quite a bit more in the article.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

30 days for a background check? What the heck? An FFL can run an NICS check in 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    30 days for a background check? What the heck? An FFL can run an NCIC check in 5 minutes.
    They need the additional time for their new & improved background check ... probably includes body cavity inspections also.
    Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men.

Senior Moderator
    An FFL can run an NICS check in 5 minutes.
    Sure.
    Unless its the day after Thanksgiving.
    Or Christmas. Or any other day when people are freaking out because of politicians making more stupid laws.

Or everyone in the United States has been mandated to do background checks and the same number of people are on the other end of the line "approving" them because and anti-gun Congress has not seen fit to upgrade the system, or pehaps a number of them have been "sequestered" and there are less working than there were before.

See how it works?

Universal Background Checks are an anti-gunners dream come true...and many "pro-gun" people are too stupid to realize it.
    nedrgr21 and peckman28 like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I don't buy the "come back in 30 days" aspect of this article, or the "denied if you have a parking ticket from 5 years ago." As of right now, I don't know the intricacies of this bill, but I don't know why it would take longer than a week, assuming that the numbers of those seeking NCIS b.g. checks skyrockets for this reason. Also, I don't know why the reasons for denial of sale would be any different then they are now. I am concerned, if valid, about the example in the article concerning an inherited weapon, or some such.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Ya'll are missing some significant points, and one in particular is very scary.

Just the possibility that you may not be able to prove you own a gun will give them the right to search your home? I don't think so. This means they can just sit outside the skeet range, wait for you to not quite roll through the stop sign but not stop enough that they feel justified in stopping you, search and find a gun that you don't have a bill of sale on, determine you don't have a bill of sale .... and next search your home.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    Ya'll are missing some significant points, and one in particular is very scary.

Just the possibility that you may not be able to prove you own a gun will give them the right to search your home? I don't think so. This means they can just sit outside the skeet range, wait for you to not quite roll through the stop sign but not stop enough that they feel justified in stopping you, search and find a gun that you don't have a bill of sale on, determine you don't have a bill of sale .... and next search your home.
    That's one part of the article that I just don't believe. BUT, if that is what appears in the bill, you/we should be happy because you then know that it will NEVER be passed as such. I mean, it just won't be. I do understand your point, though. I would be more concerned about losing a bos and selling a firearm I no longer need, then having that confiscated. There must be a work-around for that, though. I don't have the bill of sale for my manlyvan, but if I wanted to sell it to my neighbor, I can prove ownership through its registration, right?

Senior Moderator
    I don't buy the "come back in 30 days" aspect of this article, or the "denied if you have a parking ticket from 5 years ago." As of right now, I don't know the intricacies of this bill, but I don't know why it would take longer than a week, assuming that the numbers of those seeking NCIS b.g. checks skyrockets for this reason. Also, I don't know why the reasons for denial of sale would be any different then they are now. I am concerned, if valid, about the example in the article concerning an inherited weapon, or some such.
    He may be reffering to Maryland, where if you buy a gun you must wait 30 days before purchasing another.
    If you didnt pay a parking ticket 5 years ago, a FTA(Failure to Appear) bench warrant will be issued., meaning that when they run the background check it will be denied because you have an active warrant out for your arrest.

The UBC if passed, would require a background check for ANY transaction. If you wanted to give your grandson a gun that you have used your whole life, it would require a background check.
    It you died and it was willed to him, he would have to undergo a background check.

You should be concerned about the UBC, because it basically amounts to registration of firearms. If you aren't concerned about that, then you arent paying attention or you dont know much about history and why registration of weapons is a bad thing.
    peckman28 likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If 80% of gun crimes are committed with illegally purchased or owned firearms, wouldn't the registration of those firearms cut down on that number? Let me clarify: I don't mean registration as Reid has it in his bill. I mean registration more in the lines of car/vehicle registration with some similarities (legal/registered transfer of car to new owner) and differences (the requirement to renew registration every year). I mean, as long as your following the law, why would you have anything to worry about? Again, there would have to be some serious caveats to such registration.

BTW, I know the 80% is only a "ballpark figure." I'm not suggesting otherwise. If you have some links to reliable research that proves otherwise, by all means post it so we can read it.

I think the waiting period is for States that require a waiting period. I wonder who holds the weapon during that time, I would suspect the FFL.

If everything does not turn out okay (e.g. if the purchaser has an unpaid parking ticket from 5 years ago) then the sale does NOT go through..."
    Exactly.

That's a simple example of just how infringing the right can be, once it's plugged into the uber-system.

It's about control. It's not about the right of people to defend themselves, leastwise not in the minds of the liberty-haters.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

It's about control. It's not about the right of people to defend themselves, leastwise not in the minds of the liberty-haters.
    It is also about collecting more fees ( uncle sam needs your money). It will be easier to pass thru the house and senate than a mag limit or AWB.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tele_pathic View Post
    If 80% of gun crimes are committed with illegally purchased or owned firearms, wouldn't the registration of those firearms cut down on that number? Let me clarify: I don't mean registration as Reid has it in his bill. I mean registration more in the lines of car/vehicle registration with some similarities (legal/registered transfer of car to new owner) and differences (the requirement to renew registration every year). I mean, as long as your following the law, why would you have anything to worry about? Again, there would have to be some serious caveats to such registration.

BTW, I know the 80% is only a "ballpark figure." I'm not suggesting otherwise. If you have some links to reliable research that proves otherwise, by all means post it so we can read it.
    So a criminal is going to register his illegally owned guns because congress passed a new law? Why would a criminal all of a sudden decide to start obeying laws? The definition of criminal is someone who disobeys laws.

Also, registration is the first step to confiscation. Soemtime in the future, after registration is enacted, there will be another Sandy Hook type incident. the powers that be at that time will make an emotional plea "that if we can save just one life...." and round up all the registered guns.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

On the face of it UBC sounds peachy.
    But the devil is truly in the details.
    To be effective in any way... the UBC must criminialize every type of 'firearm loaning'.
    Otherwise, a person with a 'non background checked firearm' could simply claim (whether true/false) "So-and-so has lent this to me to try out."
    What Big Brother wants...is for every firearm's serial number to be attached to a specific person.
    And if you ever have to actually use a firearm to protect yourself...or for hunting, sport, range, etc...it better be yours or you'll end up in prison yourself.
    The UBC is designed to make gun ownership expensive, burdensome and fraught with legal risks.
    We need to fight this Senate bill with everything we have.
    phreddy and vilecanards like this.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Aside from the inconvenience and impracticality aspect, I see the goundwork for registration as the main issue against UBCs. For that reason I am against it in general, but I would be more inclined to listen if there was an online or phone system that we could use ourselves at our homes or place of convenience, and there was no reference to the type or number of guns as part of the transaction. Just a system that anyone can log into, run yourself through and prove to a seller that you are elligeble to own guns.
    Walk softly ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links