Cuomo Backs Down on Gun Magazine Limits

Cuomo Backs Down on Gun Magazine Limits

This is a discussion on Cuomo Backs Down on Gun Magazine Limits within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Haven't seen this posted yet... New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said that he will seek to ease state regulations setting limits on gun-magazine capacities, saying ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Cuomo Backs Down on Gun Magazine Limits

Post Cuomo Backs Down on Gun Magazine Limits

Haven't seen this posted yet...

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said that he will seek to ease state regulations setting limits on gun-magazine capacities, saying the new law had proven unworkable even before its scheduled April 15 enactment.

In the wake of the Sandy Hook school shooting, Cuomo signed into law a bill with some of the toughest gun restrictions in the country, including the provision to ban the sale of magazine capacities with more than seven rounds of ammunition.

That measure proved unworkable because most gun manufacturers make magazines which contain at least ten rounds, the New York Times reported.

“There is no such thing as a seven-bullet magazine,” Cuomo said at a news conference on Wednesday. “That doesn’t exist. So you really have no practical option.”

Cuomo said he was working with the legislature on a new measure that would allow the sale of ten-round magazines, but only allow gun owners to load seven rounds, The Times reported.

The governor’s action didn’t appease pro-gun groups which have railed against the bill since it was passed in January.

“It’s a weak attempt to try to get around a number of either contradictions or unconstitutional issues that are inherent in the legislation,” Tom King, president of the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association, told the Buffalo News.
    Source: Cuomo Backs Down on Gun Magazine Limits

Idiot...

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

All I can add to this is my girlfriends uncle came down for a few days who lives on Long Island. I asked him about the new legislation and he told me people are really up in arms about the whole situation. He also explained to me what you had to do to have a weapon. For instance.... if I wanted to sell him mine I cannot. First he has to go to the local office in his town and ask if he can purchase it. After doing so I can sell it to him. Next, he has to go back to the office and show them a bill of sale. Next, he has to bring the weapon in (not at the same time as showing them the bill of sale) All weapons he has been given permission to have are stamped on the back of the license.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Somethings are just down right dumb. Makes ya wonder what these polaticians are thinking. Or smokin for that matter.
    SmokinFool likes this.

OK, OK, I'm going to let you put that 10 round mag in your firearm, but you can ONLY put 7 rounds in it! Huh?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

New York is just ONE of the reasons the South will rise again. With brain surgeons like Bloomberg and Cuomo running the show up North,
    shouldn't take much.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

“There is no such thing as a seven-bullet magazine,” Cuomo said at a news conference on Wednesday. “That doesn’t exist. So you really have no practical option.”

My Kahr P9 has a 7 "bullet" magazine. Works well, but the bullets rattle around a lot when I insert them on their own. It works better when I use entire rounds.
    NONAME762 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nwbackpacker View Post

My Kahr P9 has a 7 "bullet" magazine. Works well, but the bullets rattle around a lot when I insert them on their own. It works better when I use entire rounds.
    Cuomo hasn't been right about anything gun related so far, so his mag assertion comes as no surprise. Reckon anyone on his staff knows about .45 single-stackers?
    NONAME762 likes this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    Standard mag for Government Model is seven rounds; does cuomo want everyone carrying 1911s??
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Lead Moderator
    Moved to 2nd amend forum.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Translation "we forgot to exempt the police and our personal bodyguards, lets re-write"
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Standard mag for Government Model is seven rounds; does cuomo want everyone carrying 1911s??
    Excellent example of unintended consequences. All New Yorkers would soon be packing 1911's to comply with the "gun control" laws....
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I keep reading these threads BUT NY has had a 10 round limit for years. Also as many pointed out there are 5,6,and7 round mags for the true pocket pistols.

Worth repeating....Coumo= IDIOT
    kerberos likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Cuomo should already be convicted and awaiting sentencing for treason for what he has done, along with every co-conspirator in the NYS legislature. Instead he's here making the most pitiful of concessions so that this law will be just tolerable enough for people in that state. Absolutely pathetic.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfuelrm View Post
    All I can add to this is my girlfriends uncle came down for a few days who lives on Long Island. I asked him about the new legislation and he told me people are really up in arms about the whole situation. He also explained to me what you had to do to have a weapon. For instance.... if I wanted to sell him mine I cannot. First he has to go to the local office in his town and ask if he can purchase it. After doing so I can sell it to him. Next, he has to go back to the office and show them a bill of sale. Next, he has to bring the weapon in (not at the same time as showing them the bill of sale) All weapons he has been given permission to have are stamped on the back of the license.
    This is all peanuts compared to what we have to go through in Costa Rica. Here's the process for purchasing a Glock 19:

1) Pass a Psychological Exam ($75.00)
    2) Pass a Written & Practical Firearm Proficiency Exam ($50.00)
    3) Pass a Background Check
    4) Photocopy of your Photo ID
    5) Submit your Fingerprints at the Public Security Ministry (3-4 hour wait in line)
    6) Purchase Notary Stamps ($10.00)
    7) Pay for your Glock 19 at the Local Gun Shop ($1,200)
    8) Complete an Application with all your contact info, the firearm's serial number, model, and make and then have it notarized ($50.00)
    9) Wait approximately 30-45 days for the approval of your CCL and firearm registration card
    10) Go pick up your CCL and firearm registration card at the Firearms and Explosives Department (4-5 hour wait in line)

After the whole process you spent $1,200 on a handgun that is twice as expensive than in the US and for which you could get an HK, Kimber or Sig Sauer in North America, $185.00 - $200.00 on bureaucratic BS and other expenses like gas, food, and supplies, 7-9 hours of boredom standing in line, and 30-45 days of waiting for your permit while you are left defenseless living in one of the regions of the World (Central America) with the highest homicide and which is currently flooded by drug cartels from Mexico and Colombia and AK-47s sell in the street for only $100!

Yeah, I'd take the regulations in California, New York, Massachusetts, or Illinois in a heartbeat over ours!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links