Update to "Looks like UBC will happen"

This is a discussion on Update to "Looks like UBC will happen" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is this posturing or for real? Why does he think all republicans support UBC? Sen. Tom Coburn: Enhanced background checks will pass Senate, but not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Update to "Looks like UBC will happen"

Update to "Looks like UBC will happen"

Is this posturing or for real? Why does he think all republicans support UBC?

Sen. Tom Coburn: Enhanced background checks will pass Senate, but not as written
    By David Sherfinski, The Washington Times, Sunday, March 24, 2013

Sen. Tom Coburn said he thinks some kind of strengthened background checks on gun sales will pass the Senate, but not the measure Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid says the body will take up when Congress returns from its two-week break.

“I don’t know a Republican that doesn’t want to have significantly enhanced and universal background checks,” Mr. Coburn said on an episode of C-SPAN’s “Newsmakers” that aired Sunday. “How you do that and protect the Second Amendment at the same time is very important, and we are very, very close.”

Read more: Sen. Tom Coburn: Enhanced background checks will pass Senate, but not as written - Washington Times

What happens if you try & sell a gun you bought years ago & have no records for?
    How will you get anyone except law abiding citizens to comply?
    How will you stop gun thefts?
    How will you stop guns from being smuggled into the country for black-market resale? ... you have not stopped 11 million illegal aliens, or hundreds of tones of drugs/year, how will you stop guns?

Write/phone your legislators, ask them these & other questions. Tell them they must protect the rights of citizens.

McCain emerges as key senator in expanding background checks
    By Alexander Bolton - 03/24/13 03:00 PM ET

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) has emerged as a key player if Senate Democrats are to have any chance of passing legislation to expand background checks for private sales of firearms.

McCain and Sens. Susan Collins (R-Maine) and Dean Heller (R-Nev.) are at the top of a list of Republicans considered most likely to sign on to legislation expanding background checks after talks with Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) stalled earlier this month.

Read more: http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/2...ground-checks-
    Last edited by SigPapa226; March 24th, 2013 at 10:25 PM.
    Snub44 likes this.
    Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SigPapa226 View Post
    “I don’t know a Republican that doesn’t want to have significantly enhanced and universal background checks,”
    Sounds like he doesn't know any Republicans...
    Naufragia and Tzadik like this.

This is not good. We all need to tell our Senators not to cave on this issue.

No way. I know both of my senators are against UBC.

We must rally the troops to fight against this. In my opinion, Universal Background Checks (and the registration that will surely follow) is more insidious than an assault weapon ban.

It'll never get through the House.

At least I don't think it will. (But I'll never cash a check as a political analyst, that's for sure.)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    Sounds like he doesn't know any Republicans...
    He certainly doesn't known mine he is against it.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Criminals could care less about background checks. This is all about registering and tracking every gun in America.

I have most of the firearms i want,and all i really need.If they pass that bleeping UBC,and,it requires gun registration,there will have to be something,i want really,really bad to buy it.Personally,i could careless,about a political party,but,i'm not for the UBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Naufragia View Post
    It'll never get through the House.

At least I don't think it will. (But I'll never cash a check as a political analyst, that's for sure.)
    Don't want it to get out of the Senate!

Reduce the risk, kill it there!
    gregnsc likes this.
    Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    From "Meet the Press" today:
    ="RALPH REED: Our organization doesn't work on this issue so I'm speaking only for myself. But I think the devil will be in the details. Look, this bill already exempts family transfers. So Newtown doesn't even get prevented by this. The mother could go out and buy an assault weapon, because Harry Reid has already said that's not going to pass in the Senate, and she can give it to her son. That's what happened in Newtown; it happens under whatever the Senate--"]RALPH REED: Our organization doesn't work on this issue so I'm speaking only for myself. But I think the devil will be in the details. Look, this bill already exempts family transfers. So Newtown doesn't even get prevented by this. The mother could go out and buy an assault weapon, because Harry Reid has already said that's not going to pass in the Senate, and she can give it to her son. That's what happened in Newtown; it happens under whatever the Senate--
    Is that what happened??? Nancy Lanza legally transferred ownership of her rifle to her son so he could murder her? Or did he take her rifle without her permission and murder 26 people?

Reed is correct, UBC will not stop psychopaths from stealing weapons and killing people.

Like already said: It will never pass the house. Heck it probably won't pass the senate. My buddy is a hill staffer and he said the AWB never even had a chance in the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

Distinguished Member
    I thought Senator Corburn was pro gun? Looks like he's selling us out for something that looks less but in truth it's just as bad. Maybe he's getting money under the table to push it and the heck with us. It's what it looks like too me anyway...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Trial ballon. Float it see how violent a backlash comes from it. If its not to bad and even our most staunch pro gun senators think that it can go thru without derailing their base and pick them up some antis support as well for being "reasonable" you will see just how fast politicians swearing to you they will not vote anything through will.

If their feet are not held firmly to the fire before all this is voted on with rabid and overwhelming emails phone calls and letters to OUR guys in Washington you will likely be surprised what your rep will vote through in the end. Be careful or be snookered.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

"Background check" and "gun/owner registration" needs to always be in the same sentence. Can't have one without the other.
    It is the gun registration that the NRA and Republicans are against, as we all should be.
    WE THE PEOPLE created the federal government. It is our “creature” as stated by Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson.
    Our “creature”, can lawfully do only what WE authorized it to do in our Constitution. WE did not give our “creature” power to control medical care or our guns. - Publius-Huldah

I like the idea that if you have a CCW, you shouldn't have to do another background check to purchase a firearm.
    WE THE PEOPLE created the federal government. It is our “creature” as stated by Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson.
    Our “creature”, can lawfully do only what WE authorized it to do in our Constitution. WE did not give our “creature” power to control medical care or our guns. - Publius-Huldah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links