Polls: Support for Gun Control fading

Polls: Support for Gun Control fading

This is a discussion on Polls: Support for Gun Control fading within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Polls suggest Congress might have waited too long on gun control - CNN.com Polls suggest Congress might have waited too long on gun control By ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveH
  • 3 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 4 Post By SmokinFool
  • 1 Post By DaveH
  • 2 Post By BugDude

Thread: Polls: Support for Gun Control fading

VIP Member

Thumbs up Polls: Support for Gun Control fading

Polls suggest Congress might have waited too long on gun control - CNN.com

Polls suggest Congress might have waited too long on gun control

By Paul Steinhauser, CNN Political Editor
    updated 1:31 PM EDT, Wed March 27, 2013

Washington (CNN) -- Is the clock ticking on gun control?

While support for many gun control policies remains high in the wake of the horrific shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut, polls conducted over the past few weeks suggest that three-and-a-half months after the tragedy, public backing for major new gun laws overall appears to have dropped significantly.

A CBS News survey released earlier this week indicated a 10-point drop in the public backing of stricter gun laws, from 57% immediately after the shootings in Newtown, Connecticut, in December when a heavily armed gunman killed 20 young students and six adults, to 47% now.

That poll was in line with a CNN/ORC International survey released last week that indicated a nine-point drop in the percentage of Americans who favor major restrictions on guns or an outright ban on gun ownership, from 52% following the shootings to 43%.

Other polls have shown changes within their sampling error but in the same downward direction.

SNIP
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

That's good,but,one thing.It is a poll.I don't pay much attention,to them,but,that's just me.

The public has a very short attention span. Apart from the families of the victims, nobody really cares anymore beyond using it to further an agenda. Not trying to sound callous, but that is just the truth.

VIP Member
    When it comes to gun control congress can wait until HELL.jpg
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Related article:

The Fat Lady Sings on Gun Control, 2013 Edition | Rothenblog

The Fat Lady Sings on Gun Control, 2013 Edition

By Stuart Rothenberg Posted at 3:27 p.m. on March 27

Whether you are a staunch supporter of the National Rifle Association or an enthusiastic backer of the effort by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and California Sen. Dianne Feinstein for stronger gun control laws, it now should be clear who is winning — indeed, who has won — the latest skirmish in the gun control wars.

As my friend Chris Cillizza noted recently in an excellent piece, supporters of new gun control measures are poised to fail, yet again, in their efforts to pass significant new legislation.

The Senate’s gun violence bill doesn’t include an assault weapons ban or a ban on high-capacity magazines, so almost any legislation eventually enacted is likely to fall far short of what activists on the gun control side really want — or hoped for after the Newtown, Conn., tragedy.

The assault weapons ban was officially declared dead last week, and even a new requirement for expanded background checks could fail unless its supporters work with congressional Republicans to fashion a proposal that both parties can accept.

The liberal Center for American Progress, which in January proposed more than a dozen policies “to prevent gun violence in our nation,” on Wednesday issued a report arguing that the Newtown shootings “changed the debate” on gun control” and criticizing polling for missing “emerging trends on gun issues” even before the Connecticut tragedy.

But a CBS News poll released this week suggests the gun control issue is losing steam.

SNIP

In fact, given the geographical distribution of support for more gun control (disproportionately in the Northeast and in urban areas around the country) and the way congressional districts are drawn, higher turnout among liberals and minority voters isn’t likely to improve Democratic prospects.

And the Senate map for 2014 — with seats up in Alaska, Arkansas, Louisiana, North Carolina, South Dakota and West Virginia — is more likely to be a problem for Democrats who support substantial new gun control measures.

SNIP
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

If "support fading" equaled "sanity prevailing" then I'd start to imagine a brighter day was dawning. But, until then, the yapping dogs are still trying to scratch through the screen doors. It's no time to ease up on the dogs, though.

Nice to see an opinion piece here and there agree that the ludicrous proposals are starting to flap in the wind. That's a bit of welcome music to the ears, at least.
    SmokinFool likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    More:

On guns, has Washington waited too long? - Reid J. Epstein - POLITICO.com

On guns, has Washington waited too long?

By REID J. EPSTEIN | 3/27/13 4:40 AM EDT

President Barack Obama said Newtown changed everything.

But it didn’t change Washington.

SNIP

But the increasingly sour mood of gun control proponents highlights the stakes in reaping even a slim victory from Congress this spring.
    Anything less, in terms of Obama’s legacy, would transform Newtown from a moment of moral clarity to a symbol of how much clout a newly reelected president really has in a divided Washington.

Obama may still get a bill, but not like the one he and his allies envisioned in December. There won’t be new bans on assault weapons or high-capacity ammunition magazines. Universal background checks have moved from an assumed yes to a wish list item for gun control advocates. Even a new gun trafficking law — the smallest and weakest of the issues — is not a sure thing to pass the Senate.

SNIP
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I believe the new polls. Either the people surveyed are changing their position or they are feeling more confident in giving their real opinions. But we need to act like there's no change. We still have a big fight on our hands. We'd better be dealing with it or it will come back to bite us in the butt.
    msgt/ret, ccw9mm, DaveH and 1 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    . . . . We still have a big fight on our hands. We'd better being dealing with it or it will come back to bite us in the butt.
    Abso-pea-picking-lutely!

“There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men.” -- Edmund Burke

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." -- John Philpot Curran:

Rock and Glock likes this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Every poll that I have seen even CNN polls have not supported more gun control. They tend to be 75 to 80 in favor of changing nothing, unlike Bloomberg claiming that 90% of America wants more gun control, I guess that is why he feels that he needs to spend 12 million on ads to change people’s minds.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

51% of a popular vote may be enough to vote an idiot into the White House, but it should not be sufficient to take Constitutional Rights.
    msgt/ret and DaveH like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Maybe they want to see how bad the Damnorats in Denver get WHIPPED in 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Maybe they want to see how bad the Damnorats in Denver get WHIPPED in 2014!
    I hope they get slaughtered.
    Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men.

Watch out, the liberal left is fully aware of this, and they have legislation "in waiting", and they are just waiting (do I dare say hoping for) another horrible event. Within days of it (if not within 24 hours) the new legislation will be introduced. The left wants the vote to be done on emotion, and not logic.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

VIP Member
    that is the plan wait until it cools off and slip something in when we are asleep! Stay awake my friends!
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Links