What different would the gun bill make in stopping crimes like Newtown?

This is a discussion on What different would the gun bill make in stopping crimes like Newtown? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, I know that I am preaching to the choir, but would the proposed gun bill (TEXT OF BILL) have made any difference in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What different would the gun bill make in stopping crimes like Newtown?

Ok, I know that I am preaching to the choir, but would the proposed gun bill (TEXT OF BILL) have made any difference in the Newtown shootings? I cannot find anything in there that would have, but I may be missing something.

Letís run though this:
    *He stole is momís guns. She legally owned them. No part of this bill would have changed that.
    *He shot and killed her. Murder is a crime already.
    *He illegally transported the guns. No part of this will would have changed that.
    *He forced his way into a school. Even with the part III of the bill (School and Campus Safety Enhancements Act,) he would have still gotten in.

He shot and killed innocent people. The government can write laws until their hands fall off and their computers freeze up, but no law would prevent him from doing what he did.

What scares me beyond comprehension is that there are elected members of the Senate, of the House, and the President himself who actually think that this bill is a good thing for America.

PLEASE tell me I am wrong and I am missing something here, and that this bill would do what they say it will. Please tell me that those who we (The general population, not you or I) elected to the highest offices in the Country are actually doing the right thing.

You are not wrong. It is not about Gun Control, its about Control. Plain & Simple.
    Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men.

S. 649 is UNIVERSAL BACKGROUND CHECKS (one of several), despite the euphemistic title of "Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act of 2013."

It's ostensibly an attempt at crime reduction, but it has no hope of reducing crime. It is designed to criminalize lawful transactions between citizens.

The existing NICS/background system already blocks known felons who attempt to purchase from dealers. Citizens are already prohibited from selling arms to people known to be felons prohibited from having such weapons. Criminals already acquire their arms under the table, away from FFL dealers, ignoring existing prohibitions against their having them.

All this bill will do is to criminalize transactions between citizens, raise the cost of such transactions. And criminals will continue doing what they currently do, purchasing their equipment off the radar and under the table.

Pointless and ineffective, for reducing crime, IMO.

Pointless and ineffective, for improving safety or security at our children's schools, too.

The firearms-related aspects of this bill is merely "feel-good" and "sounds-good" legislation that won't actually be good. Nothing more.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

cj
    I've asked that question in every letter I've written to representatives, and not one has addressed it. I also pose the 'what if TWO attackers coordinated in the same area, overwhelming response teams resources?' and ask them to focus more on preventing that type of scenario rather than feel-good legislation. Guess we've seen how that all works out.

VIP Member
    Short answer, NONE.
    gasmitty, RETSUPT99 and Ghost1958 like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

We could all "feel good" because we "did Something," "for the children."

What more could we ask but than to feel good about our efforts to curtail these violent acts...

Well, actually, we could do more... we could take battlefield weapons off the streets by enacting a ban on 'Assault Weapons."

We could require that every weapons transferee had liability insurance before we sold a firearm to them.

We could all join hands and sing Kum Ba Yah.

Hope this helps...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

It would do nothing and isnít intended to, itís only a step to full gun confiscation. Does registering cars stop crime? No, all sorts of crimes involve autos, sure it may make it a bit easier to track them down with a plate number, but that isnít stopping the crime from taking place now is it. The claimed reason for the new gun laws as stated, is to stop or reduce killings.

As for the registration of guns helping solving crimes, it is just about useless. It may come up in a trial but it almost never will lead to the offender. Also in the case of a mad shooter, they almost always die on the scene. It makes the whole thing irrelevant.
    SigPapa226 likes this.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    None.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    I've asked that question in every letter I've written to representatives, and not one has addressed it.
    They never will but their spin is an effective tool.
    NRA Life Member
    R1200RT
    Remember, math is your friend not your enemy!

None

VIP Member
    Laws cause crime. What we need is protection. And the government won't give us that. This forum knows where the responsibility for defense lies.
    If a politician says closing loopholes may save a would-be victim of a lunatic, though that victim could be me, I say, "No thanks. Just don't interfere with the self defense industry, and I'll take my chances."
    We have always had lunatics. Where gun control is strictest, gun violence and homicide rates are highest. What a crock.
    Doghandler likes this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstoneís Commentaries 145Ė146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I heard that they figured it took 5min to do the deed so does that make it sound that there should have been a good guy with a gun on campus ?

This is the only world that I know where "gun free" zones work...

neo_bullet_proof.jpg
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

The greatest threat to the soul of man is the violence of injustice which permeates our activities every day to one degree or another. Those of us willing to commit violence within rules, boundaries and limitations should keep a strong and respected voice in how these rules, boundaries and limitations are defined as we see fit.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

NONE
    Doghandler likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links