"Why Wayne LaPierre Is Right and Bloomberg Is Wrong" con job. . .

This is a discussion on "Why Wayne LaPierre Is Right and Bloomberg Is Wrong" con job. . . within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; when you get to his bottom line "Universal background checks are good. So, probably, is limiting magazines." In fact as oneshot pointed out the whole ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Lindy1933
  • 3 Post By oneshot

Thread: "Why Wayne LaPierre Is Right and Bloomberg Is Wrong" con job. . .

VIP Member

Thumbs down "Why Wayne LaPierre Is Right and Bloomberg Is Wrong" con job. . .

when you get to his bottom line "Universal background checks are good. So, probably, is limiting magazines."

In fact as oneshot pointed out the whole thing is a con job. I was focusing on the slight-of-hand rhetorical trick of saying that "LaPierre Is Right" to champion a position that LaPierre Is totally against.

Thanks oneshot.

Beware of wolves in sheep clothing.

Why Wayne LaPierre Is Right and Bloomberg Is Wrong (Part I) | Pennsylvania Avenue

Why Wayne LaPierre Is Right and Bloomberg Is Wrong (Part I)

By Morton Kondracke Posted at 12:18 p.m. March 29

Wayne LaPierre and the National Rifle Association are obnoxious, paranoid and intimidationist — but he and they are not always wrong. Some of their ideas should be adopted by advocates of “gun safety,” including Congress.
    Why Bloomberg Is Right and LaPierre Is Wrong (Part II) | Pennsylvania Avenue

Why Bloomberg Is Right and LaPierre Is Wrong (Part II)

By Morton Kondracke Posted at 6:22 p.m. March 29

The National Rifle Association is paranoid about universal background checks leading to national registries leading to confiscation of guns. The NRA threatens politicians who favor limits on the size of magazines.
    Last edited by gasmitty; March 30th, 2013 at 04:19 PM. Reason: to comply with copyright rules
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

But where I live is not NYC or even close. Why not let locals make gun laws for locals? The answer, of course, is there is no great power show for either Bloomberg or LaPierre. Take away TV and either one is just like you or me, they put their pants on one leg at a time.
    RichB70 likes this.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindy1933 View Post
    Why not let locals make gun laws for locals?
    If by local you are referring to the States, I agree -- fully.

True, for the interstate traveler the state-to-state crazy patchwork quilt laws is a minefield of no guns in/on/at "X" -- e.g., airport parking lots, airport terminals, any public building, any venue that charges admission, bars, buses, churches, colleges, concerts, funeral, gun shops, gun shows, libraries, parades, parks, protest, public gathering, public meetings (councils, boards, etc), road side rest areas, schools, sporting events, stadiums, trains, to name a few. Every time I take a trip, I have to do too much research for every state I enter. However, as a 10Aer and a Federalist at heart, I'll pay that price, however logistically hard they can make for us to avoid run afoul of the law.

OTOH, I strongly approve of State preemption over local government authority in the area of the RKBA.

Last night I drove to a VCDL meeting about an hour and 15 minutes up the road. I drove through parts of three Cities (which in Virginia are separate and fully independent from Counties), four Counties, and I don't know how many towns (but I can think of at least six). The vast majority of the trip was on an Interstate and most of the rest on a US highway. I can't imagine having to do the same sort of research of different laws for such a local intrastate trip as I need to do to travel interstate.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Violating someone's civil rights and effecting an illegal stop in NYC just because the majority of people say, "alright, if it will make us safer" is still a violation of someone's civil rights.
    Where does society draw the line?

Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe." -- gh@c2

"Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is doing it. Right is right, even if nobody is doing it."
    St. Augustine

Martin Luther King, Jr.:
    Cowardice asks the question, 'Is it safe?' Expediency asks the question, 'Is it politic?' Vanity asks the question, 'Is it popular?' But, conscience asks the question, 'Is it right?' And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because one's conscience tells one that it is right.
    DaveH, airslot and ccw9mm like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Oneshot, 3/29 @ 08:26 PM

Well done!

Last edited by DaveH; March 30th, 2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: clanged "today" to 3/29 -- as yesterday's "today" is now "yesterday."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links