House of Representatives FLIPS. Bad News for Gunowners?

This is a discussion on House of Representatives FLIPS. Bad News for Gunowners? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Before anyone get's carried away (too late) take a look at David Kopel's post over on the Volokh Conspiracy: In Anti-Republican Deluge, Second Amendment Gets ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: House of Representatives FLIPS. Bad News for Gunowners?

Before anyone get's carried away (too late) take a look at David Kopel's post over on the Volokh Conspiracy: In Anti-Republican Deluge, Second Amendment Gets A Little Damp. He's also got a similar article in the National Review Online. His conclusion is that the net losses for gun rights are only -1 in the Senate (versus -5 or 6 for the Republican party), -14 in the House (versus -32 for the Repubs) and -1.5 in governerships. A lot of the newly elected dems are pro-gun. Kopel contrasts this to the 1994 election where Democratic party losses were pretty much synonomous with anti-gun losses.

Now, most of the higher-ups in the Democratic party are antis (the leadership, committee chairs, etc.) so they can controll what bills get brought to the floor. However, I think they'll have a hard time getting anti-gun legislation through. The party has a lot of arm-twisting power, but I'm sure the new electees from red-leaning states are cognizant that any anti-gun votes will come back to haunt them next election.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Before anyone get's carried away (too late) take a look at David Kopel's post over on the Volokh Conspiracy: In Anti-Republican Deluge, Second Amendment Gets A Little Damp. He's also got a similar article in the National Review Online. His conclusion is that the net losses for gun rights are only -1 in the Senate (versus -5 or 6 for the Republican party), -14 in the House (versus -32 for the Repubs) and -1.5 in governerships. A lot of the newly elected dems are pro-gun. Kopel contrasts this to the 1994 election where Democratic party losses were pretty much synonomous with anti-gun losses.

Now, most of the higher-ups in the Democratic party are antis (the leadership, committee chairs, etc.) so they can controll what bills get brought to the floor. However, I think they'll have a hard time getting anti-gun legislation through. The party has a lot of arm-twisting power, but I'm sure the new electees from red-leaning states are cognizant that any anti-gun votes will come back to haunt them next election.
    Well said and good link!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

"Democratic victories are no longer synonymous with gun control victories."

Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

VIP Member
    I think we may be deluding each other........

see related post:
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=16495
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I would tend to agree that anti 2nd amendment legislation will be hard to push. The democrats know how much the AWB hurt them in '94, and a lot of this majority they picked up was from heavily republican areas, and with conservative democrat candidates. If strict gun legislation makes it through, expect these seats won in 06 to disappear in 08. Remember, every single one of these seats opens back up in 08. They still want to ban guns, but will probably have to find another way to do it, like through the courts, or the U.N.. I don't see it coming through the legislature.

Do I remember correctly that the term politics or politicians has something to do with blood sucking?

They're all wealthy eliteists. When was the last time a real, average, American got elected to any significant office?

Lifetime benefits, special services and treatment, all inclusive expense accounts.

Then there's all the oponent bashing and very little talk about the issues and plans to deal with them.

I'm disgusted with the process and the candidates but have to vote for what I beleive may not be better but rather the lesser of the evils.

Disgusted, Angry, Disallusioned...........
    George
    PC has become the term for Political Cowardice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links