House of Representatives FLIPS. Bad News for Gunowners?

This is a discussion on House of Representatives FLIPS. Bad News for Gunowners? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It's become pretty apparent in the last few hours that the House of Representatives has gone back to the control of the Democratic Party for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: House of Representatives FLIPS. Bad News for Gunowners?

Question House of Representatives FLIPS. Bad News for Gunowners?

It's become pretty apparent in the last few hours that the House of Representatives has gone back to the control of the Democratic Party for the first time 12 years. But is that a harbinger of DOOM for all gunowners?

I don't think so. From the indications I've seen in the analysis during tonight's election coverage, the "new breed" of Democrat seems to be far more "conservative" than the people inhabiting DC already.

Example: The House seat that represents Asheville North Carolina (where I hope to make my retirement home someday) has flipped from Republican to Democrat. But the incoming Dem is an evangelical Born Again Christian, pro-life and Pro-GUN.

That seems to be a common thread in these newbies. Not all of course, but in enough areas that I do believe that they'll be able to keep the Dems overarching objective of draconian gun controls from becoming a reality.

I think the Republicans deserved to get "spanked." I hope it will bring them to their senses that in order to stay on top, they've got to adhere to the true conservative principles that have always driven the party until recently. I applaud the defeat of Lincoln Chaffee in Rhode Island. RINOs need to be expunged from the party. This guy, like his daddy before him never saw a gun grabbing scheme he didn't just love.

I'm more than a little concerned about the prospective slate of GOP nominees for the White House in '08. I see lots of liberals and RINOs. IOW....GUN GRABBERS. This election is now over. It's time to "ruck up" and start fighting for THE PRIZE in 2008!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I would have to say it is bad news... depending who gets to chair the different commissions and if the new breed of democrat is really conservative or just facade to get them elected. If the new breed is indeed more conservative and the Liberal side gets all the chairs, there should be enough infight to make them inneficient and save us trouble.

As for Republicans, we have 2 years to clean house.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

The reason that the Dems who are winning seem to be conservative is that they know they can't win if they are liberal. If they are truly conservative, I welcome them, but I fear that they run as coonservatives because they are afraid to say who they really are during the campaign. We'll see how they act now that they are eleceted.

In any event, trouble is likely on the horizon for gun owners, especially if the Dems win the Senate too.

We'll have john Conyers picking Judges, and nancy Palosie deciding which bills get brought up for a vote. Don't forget Sheila jackson Lee and Maxine Waters. In the Senate we have Kennedy, Schumer, Feinstein, and McCarthy as leaders of the majority. Oh yeah, we also have a President who hasn't vetoed a bill in 6yrs.

I don't see how anything positive can come from that. All of them owe Sarah Brady and george Soros big time.

IMO, buy some guns and ammo now, and hope they are grandfathered in so you can keep 'em.

Oh well, the sheeple get the government they deserve.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Don't forget to buy one of those "food" vacuum sealers too they are pretty useful if ya know what I mean. Keeps all that dirt off your food. Especially around junkyards and all.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

Administrator
    Well, it sure is not good news for gun owners.
    Probably not too bad in the short term since any major anti~gun crappola would still need to make it through the Senate. Then there is Presidential veto.
    I am not a happy camper right now though.
    It's not really wise to give a hard slap on the wrist when you hurt your own hand doing it.
    If you always wanted that super special Evil Black Rifle ~ I sure would think seriously about buying it within the next two years though.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Ex Member Array Roundeyesamurai's Avatar
    Truthfully, I wouldn't worry about it. The "flip" is the result of much bigger issues than gun control. I tend to believe the Democrats will have more than enough to worry about (the war in Iraq, for instance) without bringing up new gun control legislation.

Likewise, there's still at least two years of Bush. It should be apparent that he won't sign gun control bills, because he'd be sure to alienate what little support he has left. Likewise, I don't think the Democrats are going to have sufficient majority to overturn the Presidential veto.

So, if anything, expect deadlock for the next two years, at least.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Don't forget to buy one of those "food" vacuum sealers too they are pretty useful if ya know what I mean. Keeps all that dirt off your food. Especially around junkyards and all.
    Yup around junkyards or right next to railroad tracks and iron mines...we think alike....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Exclamation Veto? Unlikely!

Quote Originally Posted by Roundeyesamurai View Post
    Likewise, there's still at least two years of Bush. It should be apparent that he won't sign gun control bills, because he'd be sure to alienate what little support he has left.
    The problem is, this President has only signed ONE veto in his entire two terms thus far! His daddy signed a LOT of anti-gun legislation and signed a LOT more EO's that negatively affected us: Like forbidding importation of foreign ammo for cheap prices and outlawing importation of the Norinco knockoff semi-autos and importation of any of the new examples of the H&K rifles, notably the uber accurate (and uber expensive $$$) PSG-1 "Sniper Rifle."

Don't forget, too that this President is a "LAME DUCK" and now, today, has ZERO reason to care about alienating anybody. If he really cared about that, he'd have sealed our borders instead of inking a deal to ERASE them by 2010 and integrating both our neighbors to the north and south into one huge EU style "security zone." Bush #41 coined the term New World Order. Bush #43 is following the CFR gameplan.

But, you're correct that the Dems will have other things to push besides gun control for at least two years. I don't know yet if we've managed to hang onto the Senate. If (please Lord!) we did, they won't be able to pass anything until Jan 09.

Ex Member Array Roundeyesamurai's Avatar
    Good point, Ex, but let's be cognizant of a few other things:

1) Yes, he's only signed one veto, but that's been during a period where his own party controlled (or ran interference in) Congress.

2) Let's not forget that there must be a Republican party after Bush. If anything, this election is going to spur the Republicans (Bush included) to maintain the support they have. Otherwise, the Republicans will lose even more in 2008.

Bush is, hopefully (for his party's sake), smart enough to realize that the Republican party's position is precarious at best. Further losses in 2008 (which would come from further alienating Republicans) may very well result in a Democrat president and Democrat-controlled House and Senate. I venture to say that if this weren't a midterm election, that's exactly what we'd have now.

Remember, alienation doesn't have to mean that the supporters turn Democrat. They just have to be fed up enough to say "screw it" and not vote at all.

It should probably be mentioned as well, that the moderate Republicans haven't been any more "gun-friendly" than moderate Democrats have been. The GOP's official stance has been for the purpose of appealing to (what they believe is) the majority of their Republican constituents, whom are also moderate.

If there is one thing I draw from this election, it's that the public didn't so much vote Democrat, as vote "anti- Bush & Co.". After experiencing the inevitable gridlock that will come for the next two years, I genuinely believe that there will be probably the greatest opportunity of the last 100 years for third parties. The line of logic goes like this: "We do NOT want the Republicans back, and the Democrats have been worthless the last couple of years.", with a few strong third-party candidates then coming in and campaigning to the tune of "We're not Republicans or Democrats. 'Nuff said.".

Then again, this could just be my optimism speaking.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    C'mon exsoldier, tell us how you REALLY feel. LOL!

As for the flip, they are already talking on the news about Pelosi as the new speaker. I pray I am wrong, but I have a bad feeling about this...

I will limit my comments on the election results to this: I am buying a GLOCK 23 today.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I'm getting pig's blood is my comment on the election.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Just remember that Bush said that he would, in fact, sign the renewing of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban if it was brought up before him in 04...sure it was a political move because he knew that he could say that with the republicans in control and still make it seem like he was for "reasonable gun control"...but I don't like what that would mean in the event that both the house and the senate were lost to the democrats...they would surely bring it up...
    ...so let's see here...time to come up with a checklist

Evil black rifles - check
    Full capacity magaines...lots of them - check
    100 round beta c-mags just to get under the skin of the gun grabbers - check
    lots of ammo - check but still not enough

time to order a few receivers and parts kits if the senate is lost (still up for grabs according to the last article I read)...if not then still place the orders and keep stockpiling for a potential 08 nightmare...oh...and along with the food storage, don't forget PVC pipes...you never know when you might need to replace a piece of drain pipe in your house...it's very usefull stuff ...and cosmoline is also pretty good as a face cream I've heard HAAAAA

IMHO With Ms Nancy in charge, the house of reps is going to become our worst nightmare.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

We really need to be more vigilant about contacting our reps regarding gun issues. We need to stop the stupid "arsenal licenses" and such. Bills start in the House and need to be confirmed by the Senate, so putting pressure on both the reps and senators is needed. Pay attention to the legislation.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links