Get ready for the long fight

This is a discussion on Get ready for the long fight within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SixBravo What GREATLY concerns me is Nancy Pelosi. She will be the speaker of the house, and ultimately, have control of what ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Get ready for the long fight

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    What GREATLY concerns me is Nancy Pelosi. She will be the speaker of the house, and ultimately, have control of what bills make it to the floor and which ones don't. I'd hate to think how many Pro2A items are cut because of what she thinks. I mean, geez, look what they tried in San Francisco last year (or was it the year before?)....
    +1. This is the result from yesterday that concerns me the most at the moment. Many of the newly-elected Democrats in the House at least ran with a pro-RKBA stance (see http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...E0Y2RiYWE4MjU=)
    , and time will tell on that. The notion of "Speaker Pelosi" is what I find appalling today.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Personaly I see it as a time for all gunowners and ccw holders in particular to be pro active , take the time to drop a note to the new legislators as to what we expect from them during thier term of representing us . I also understand that good old snailmail weighs heavyer on the scales of consideration than email or faxes . Do i see this as the end of the world , nope It is a wake up call to the administration and the hard line radicals of both partys since tho democrat , most of the new folks seem to be centerest , not on the frenge of the party that gets the press .

Just my thoughts , but IMHO put off that urge to run out and buy more ammo , or more guns long enough to pay a bit of postage . In the long run it will pay more dividends .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Well, I'm not taking any chances.

Got the 10.5 upper in .223 on order, bought another Bushmaster lower, got the paperwork ready for the SBR .223 and getting ready to mail it off.

It was the last one I wanted right now anyway.

I'll worry about the "evil" aspects of the guns I have afterward.

The ball is in their court (now that they have both houses and GWB said that he'd sign the AWB. Also, Oregon lost big, so I'm expecting California part 2 to happen here).

Wayne

Where is Ronald Reagan when we need him......

I Think That We Have SOME Time...

before anything happens...in the 'near' future. I also think that if bad things do begin to happen, it would be a clamp on new purchases, not turn in your weapons stuff.
    Do you have any idea what would happen in the South if gun 'collection' by the government WERE attempted?
    I don't like what I'm hearing, but I do believe that we have time to prepare.
    Looking at the upside of all this...maybe it is a wake-up call to the entire country...I know that we have more conservatives than liberals in this country...they just didn't get to the polls...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    I see this election as good for an additional 1million NRA members, a sales boom in guns, and my constant calls to congress/senate vocalizing my opposition to future pending legislation! If the Repubs weren't wimps, they would have won. Instead we had RepubliCrats - halfbreeds that didn't stand for anything.
    Bout sums it up. Getting to be where you can't tell the difference between the (D) and (R) anymore.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    They've introduced it every year since it expired. Some versions, IIRC, called not just for a ban on sales but made possession unlawful.

Matt

Molon labe!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I am glad I am am not as paranoid about this stuff as some of you.

Maybe we should save a copy of all the posts here and when the gloom and doom doesn't happen then everyone can reread thier posts in a couple of years.

Sort of like saving articles from the newspaper where anti-gunners predict (slobberingly) blood running in the streets in states where CCW laws are passed?

You can call it "paranoid," but it's only because some people stay ahead of their opponents while there is not an attack underway that we keep the rights we do have.

You honestly think that the time to gear up for a fight is once the first salvo has been fired at you?!

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    You can call it "paranoid," but it's only because some people stay ahead of their opponents while there is not an attack underway that we keep the rights we do have.
    The mark of any good survivor is they are proactive, not reactive.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Do you have any idea what would happen in the South if gun 'collection' by the government WERE attempted?
    Unfortunately this is being attempted in NY and NJ. Last year the NY assembly PASSED a law to ban the 50BMG, and "assault weapons" with a much stricter definition that includes pump action rifles and any semi auto rifle with a pistol grip...all guns that fit this category would have to be turned into the government for testing and be registered...the 50BMG owners would have to remove them from the state. Fortunately it didn't pass both houses and didn't become law. That is about the most mild of the bills on the table...there are some scary ones for sure. NJ has a proposed bill that will ban all handguns...no grandfathering, no nothing. If you have a handgun, you are a criminal.

So, I agree, I don't really think it's being paranoid to be concerned about the gun rights in this country and here's why. Because there are people that want all guns banned...period. They start at the state level and have openly said that they would like these laws to be adopted at the federal level. So I think that it's just common sense to take a close look at the government whenever there is a change (regardless of who controlls the house and the senate) and keep an eye on them for the rest of the time. It only makes sense to me. The fact of the matter is if there aren't enough people that are willing to stand up for our rights then there ARE people that are willing (and trying) to take them away...the second amendment doesn't just defend itself. If the antis had their way then all guns would have been banned long ago..."they" will start with the scariest first by calling semi autos "assault weapons" and the 50BMG "a gun that can shoot airplanes out of the sky"...then they would move on to handguns since they are involved in so many gang shootings and roberies...then all of a sudden your hunting rifle is a "sniper rifle" and the old argument "the second amendment only applies to black powder guns" is brought back up and people start to believe it. I don't believe that I'm paranoid, I'm just ever watchful of the evil lurking in the shadows that tries to strip us of our basic right to self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    Because there are people that want all guns banned...period.
    Sometimes we surround ourselves with like-minded people so often, it's hard for us to imagine what "the rest of the world" thinks. Guns and gun control is just one of those topics. On a gun forum such as this, phrases like “I had my gun on me when I went to the grocery store this afternoon” or “I had my Glock 22 with me when I dropped my daughter off at soccer practice” sounds normal, almost mundane. But for someone who doesn't own a gun or only knows what the media tells them, that sounds terrifying. In their view, the idea of average citizens walking amongst them “strapped” or “packing heat” is a recipe for disaster. Why on Earth would the average person need to have something so extreme such as a gun? I attend a community college ranked 2nd in “the best 2 year school in America”. With that being said, the student body is a healthy mix of teenagers and adults. I have been, on many occasions “the lone representative” in 2nd Amendment and pro-gun debates in class. Often arguing against 5 to 6 other students (ironically, more with the adults than with the kids) that are in favor of gun confiscation. I remember one such argument where a student surmised that carrying a firearm in public for “all of creation to see” (as she put it), amounted to nothing but domestic terrorism. When I asked why, her response was “because they are terrorizing the ***** out of us.” She then stated that everything from crime, domestic assaults, intimidation, suicides and accidental shootings can all be prevented if all guns were confiscated from private citizens. Even with all of my rational examples of how guns don't magically go off and kill people or how responsibility for owning a firearm is just like knowing how to responsibly drive a car, both of which could kill if you are irresponsible, those students just wouldn't hear it.
    I'm sure if you go to more rural parts of the nation, the opinion of guns are positive, however, laws are not written in rural parts of the nation.

Speaking of which, I wanted to add my two cents in regards to democratic officials that carry. Yes, there are democratic officials that carry a firearm. That doesn't mean squat. There are republican officials that do not carry a firearm, what does that mean? They are anti-2nd Amendment? I remember several years back, Eleanor Holmes Norton, the Democratic Rep. from DC, answered the question as to why public officials (or any other famous person) SHOULD carry a firearm for protection, while the average citizen shouldn't. Her response is that people, such as herself, are always in the public eye. Sometimes they make decisions that please people, and sometimes they make decisions that REALLY don't please people. Being so, they are routinely exposed to many people, some of whom may disagree so strongly with their decisions there is a chance they can be confronted and assaulted. She than said the average citizen has no need to carry a firearm and that it would eventually do more harm than good (mentioning the number of suicides and accidental shootings in DC). To illustrate this, Mayor Tony Williams several years ago became a reserve DC police officer. Yup, went through the training, has the ability to pull people over and perform arrests. He also now has the ability to carry a firearm in the District of Columbia, something law abiding citizens cannot do.

Don't judge someone by what they say, judge them by their actions (or lack there of) and who is supporting them financially.

Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    Sometimes we surround ourselves with like-minded people so often, it's hard for us to imagine what "the rest of the world" thinks. Guns and gun control is just one of those topics.
    yep, I agree totally! ...and I can relate to the college thing...I'm relatively young...graduated college about 5 years ago...when I was there I had to take a public speaking class...for the final in the class we had to "argue a point" to the rest of the class. A girl in the class got up in front of the class and stated that she was calling for more gun control...but here's the kicker...she had essentially dedicated her whole life to it. She was going to college and choosing her major based on the fact that she wants to become a lawyer and/or politician with one main focus. Removing guns (yes all guns) from the United States of America. I was doing very well in my public speaking class unti the last day. Needless to say my grade went from an A to a C during the questions and answer segment of this girl's speach but I got to speak my mind...and the best part was that I made her look like a crazy person in front of the class who, at the end of it all, seemed to agree with the points that I had made...though the teacher didn't like it at all and tended to agree with the student.

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    Needless to say my grade went from an A to a C during the questions and answer segment of this girl's speach but I got to speak my mind...and the best part was that I made her look like a crazy person in front of the class who, at the end of it all, seemed to agree with the points that I had made...though the teacher didn't like it at all and tended to agree with the student.
    Man that sucks about the grade. But at least you proved one thing: We will NOT remain silent.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    All I have to say is...

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ
    Fear No Evil.

Lightbulb Speaking as a TEACHER of Psychology Among Other Subjects....

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I am glad I am am not as paranoid about this stuff as some of you. Maybe we should save a copy of all the posts here and when the gloom and doom doesn't happen then everyone can reread their posts in a couple of years.
    Always remember: Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you! Was the 1994 AWB & The Brady Bill an act of placid acceptance? I was the paranoid nutcase who got ready for a bad hurricane season here in south Florida a couple of years ago. My family all laughed. My neighbors chuckled. Then came Katrina, Wilma & Rita. Suddenly I wasn't paranoid...I was PREPARED.

Speaking of paranoia, just exactly HOW would you describe the government's actions in New Orleans post Katrina? Still think it'll never happen on a national scale? Who was in charge in that city and state then? Who's got the clout at the national level, now? You bet I'm paranoid. But I like to think I'm....prepared.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links