Defensive Carry banner

Get ready for the long fight

5K views 67 replies 40 participants last post by  ExSoldier 
#1 ·
As of 6am (MST) the House has shifted to the Democraps, the Senate is still undecided. Just as bad, the majority of Governorships have also gone over to the dark side. I think we're going to see some tough days ahead, and it could (and probably will) get worse in 2 years from now.

#3 ·
unfortunately I think y'all are right...here we go again :frown:

#5 ·
I agree.

I would expect to see Pelosi and her ilk introduce another AWB in the not too distant future. The 2nd Amendment will be under assault from the Dems and I wouldn't be surprised to see some type of bill that outlaws CCW introduced in congress at some point.

My fear is, while Clinton was bad for the 2A and we lovers of freedom, this could be worse.

Dig your foxhole deep, it may be a few years before this fight dies down.

#7 ·
I agree.

I would expect to see Pelosi and her ilk introduce another AWB in the not too distant future. The 2nd Amendment will be under assault from the Dems and I wouldn't be surprised to see some type of bill that outlaws CCW introduced in congress at some point.
They've introduced it every year since it expired. Some versions, IIRC, called not just for a ban on sales but made possession unlawful.

Matt

#6 ·
Not a happy start to the day at all. :frown: What I feared.

Reminder tho folks - express your unhappiness by all means but - no political debate per se.

#8 ·
While no Democrats rode anti-gun issues to office the new leadership has it as one of their pet projects and we all need to be worried.

The bottom line is the 2A is a very minor issue in the eyes of most Americans. Unless the current administration wakes up and smells the coffee things will be infinitely worse in 2 years.

If you all think you have it bad come here to New York where the Dems swept just about everything. Even the Comptroller, who all admit is corrupt and may be indited, won with the same majority as the other Dems.

#9 ·
I really don't see them disarming us ccw or other wise). However, I do think that we all get caught up in the moment. I would not be worried one bit. We have a large voice in congress and believe it or not some demoncrats carry. I think by nature we love drama and we just love to have something to talk about and the demoncrats taking our guns and placing us under martial law is one of them. I voted yes, but do I worry, no, because ultimately things will be what they will be. Just do your part and hope for the rest. My 2cents.

#20 ·
why so much gloom & doom?

+1.

Besides, the Dem party has other pressing & difficult objectives to undertake first. And those tasks which I forsee them setting their sights on will occupy their efforts & willpower for some time to come without leaving much else for a long, protracted fight such as one against 2A.

Let's not forget that the country has become more CCW accessible since the AWB than ever before and blood has not run in the streets as the Brady bunch predicted. This time around, if the D's do attempt another run-about the 2A, the lies and fears on which the AWB and its ilk were built will be harder to sell to the populace.

I know this for sure: I am much wiser to issues of gun ownership in 2006 than I was in 1994. And judging by the people with which I undertook my CCW training and the new shooters like myself that I see at the range, I'd have to conclude that the same is true for many others, too.

Let it suffice to say that in my neck of the woods, some of the same people that you'd typically imagine to be in the Brady ranks now pack heat. These people are the ones on whose back the AWB was passed the first time.

#12 ·
Makes me think twice about mentioning any guns I own on a public forum. Sadly, one of the key Senate races that is very close is here in Montana between Burns and Tester. Burns (Republican) has screwed up a lot and Tester (Democrat) is a very likable guy. No, I didn't vote for him.

Republicans need to grow some balls and be the conservitives they were elected to be. I don't vote out of anger but out of what I feel is best for my country and my family. This is why as a conservitive Christian I NEVER vote Democrat. NEVER! Not for dog catcher. Nothing!

#13 ·
I just hope the shtf after January! I'm out of extra spending cash so I can't restock yet! DOH! Not that I'm not sort of stocked up already, but a little more never hurts:icon_neutral:

#14 ·
I wouldn't expect much to change until after 08 and then only if Hillary is elected. No way an AWB passes even now and no way any substantial anti gun measures pass.

It does mean, however, that CCW liberlization will slow down and stop. Don't expect many restrictions to be waived anytime soon.

#15 ·
The thing that surprises me is that when I checked the NRA website, many of the Democrats there got A ratings from the NRA. In fact, there were quite a few Dems that the NRA was suggesting you vote for over the Republican candidate.

So there's a bunch of Dems who have been elected on a pro-2a stance that I'm sure can keep Pelosi in line. The sword swings both ways. Honestly, the Dems didn't need to "adopt" a pro 2a stance to win this thing, the anti-war sentiment was enough I think, which makes me believe they are genuine.

#16 ·
I am glad I am am not as paranoid about this stuff as some of you.

Maybe we should save a copy of all the posts here and when the gloom and doom doesn't happen then everyone can reread thier posts in a couple of years.

#38 ·
Sort of like saving articles from the newspaper where anti-gunners predict (slobberingly) blood running in the streets in states where CCW laws are passed? :rolleyes:

You can call it "paranoid," but it's only because some people stay ahead of their opponents while there is not an attack underway that we keep the rights we do have.

You honestly think that the time to gear up for a fight is once the first salvo has been fired at you?! :rolleyes:

#18 ·
There were some dems out there that avoided the subject. Some of them actually embraced 2A rights like Heath Shuler (NC) who claims to be a strong advocate of gun rights. But I'm afraid when it gets down to it, a lot of them are going to vote the party line at the worst, or keep their mouth shut and not buck the system at the least.

#21 ·
I see this election as good for an additional 1million NRA members, a sales boom in guns, and my constant calls to congress/senate vocalizing my opposition to future pending legislation! If the Repubs weren't wimps, they would have won. Instead we had RepubliCrats - halfbreeds that didn't stand for anything.

#22 ·
Supreme Court

What concerns me most is the composition of the Supreme Court. The Senate can exert control over Supreme Court nominees that Bush might put forward over the next 2 years. If Bush gets another nomination or two during the remainder of his term, he may not get a judicial conservative approved by the Senate, like the recent approval of Judge Alito. The Senate may force him to name a moderate to gain approval.

Someday there will be a significant Second Amendment case before the Supreme Court, and I'd like the outcome to be favorable for us.

#23 ·
I was pretty distraught last night watching the results. Today, I have realized that there really isn't a new fight, just a continuation of one. I don't think I could have honestly believed that one party would control all aspects of government forever. In fact, I don't think it should be that way at all.

This day after election day is really no different than any other year in the respect that there are those that will always want to limit the individual rights of the others. There have been people calling for the disarming of individuals since well before the country even got a start, and it will probably be the case for years to come.

Back to basics I say. I am going to upgrade my NRA membership from Annual to Life, join the GOA, and write even more letters now to those that represent me in government. South Dakota's lone seat in the house was held convincingly by the Democratic candidate and we have traded letters over the last year or so. This will be no different.

I am not a registered anything as far as party goes, but I am a Freedom junkie, liberty addict. I will strive to conduct myself in a reasonable manner while discussing my position with those that currently disagree with how I see it.

Politics can be painful. When it comes down to it I would take this system over any other though.

Rambling over, my first post on any forum since last night's beating.

#24 ·
I think that everyone needs to relax a little and not worry so much.

Just as activist Republicans have not been able to get a lot of social issues that they shouldn't be screwing with passed, so the Democrats will not change the country either.

Checks and balances tend to work and there are a lot more moderate, reasonable people out there than there are activists.

#25 ·
Checks and balances tend to work and there are a lot more moderate, reasonable people out there than there are activists.
I have to disagree. There are a lot of people who cannot make up their mind unless Hollywood, the main networks and the liberal papers tells them what to think. Those sitting in the middle and undecided until election day have not put any substantial thought into the issues or they would have already picked a side. IF someone is not bright enough to decide where they stand I fail to see why I should have confidence in them.

#28 ·
Pelosi has been a far left congresswoman from San Francisco (where else?) since 1987. She may have a lot of juice with her fellow ultra-liberal democrats, however she clearly doesn't speak for most Americans.

My view is that those checks and balances people referred to above will prevent her from succeeding in her inevitable and ongoing assault on the Second Amendment.

#30 ·
Like some of the other posters have said, not all of the Democrats elected to the Senate or House are anti-gun. I believe that this is a turn from the Democrats away from their past to get elected. After NOLA, many people saw what happens when the government is left to its own devices and law & order holes up in its police stations. People want to keep their firearms and I think the Dems recognize that - the fact that the Republicans would use that as ammunition against them. The Democrats will want to keep their offices, so it is likely that they will remain stagnant with were gun laws currently are.

However, there is the possibility that they Dems will throw that into the wind and try to ban as much as possible.

What GREATLY concerns me is Nancy Pelosi. She will be the speaker of the house, and ultimately, have control of what bills make it to the floor and which ones don't. I'd hate to think how many Pro2A items are cut because of what she thinks. I mean, geez, look what they tried in San Francisco last year (or was it the year before?)....

#31 ·
What GREATLY concerns me is Nancy Pelosi. She will be the speaker of the house, and ultimately, have control of what bills make it to the floor and which ones don't. I'd hate to think how many Pro2A items are cut because of what she thinks. I mean, geez, look what they tried in San Francisco last year (or was it the year before?)....
+1. This is the result from yesterday that concerns me the most at the moment. Many of the newly-elected Democrats in the House at least ran with a pro-RKBA stance (see http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=ZjViZDZlMTkwNDBkZDU0ZDE3MGFkYTE0Y2RiYWE4MjU=)
, and time will tell on that. The notion of "Speaker Pelosi" is what I find appalling today.

#32 ·
Personaly I see it as a time for all gunowners and ccw holders in particular to be pro active , take the time to drop a note to the new legislators as to what we expect from them during thier term of representing us . I also understand that good old snailmail weighs heavyer on the scales of consideration than email or faxes . Do i see this as the end of the world , nope It is a wake up call to the administration and the hard line radicals of both partys since tho democrat , most of the new folks seem to be centerest , not on the frenge of the party that gets the press .

Just my thoughts , but IMHO put off that urge to run out and buy more ammo , or more guns long enough to pay a bit of postage . In the long run it will pay more dividends .

#33 ·
Well, I'm not taking any chances.

Got the 10.5 upper in .223 on order, bought another Bushmaster lower, got the paperwork ready for the SBR .223 and getting ready to mail it off.

It was the last one I wanted right now anyway.

I'll worry about the "evil" aspects of the guns I have afterward.

The ball is in their court (now that they have both houses and GWB said that he'd sign the AWB. Also, Oregon lost big, so I'm expecting California part 2 to happen here).

Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.