A new letter from Senator Grassley

This is a discussion on A new letter from Senator Grassley within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is a result of using Popvox... I get more responses from that than I do from real snail mail, emails and faxes. Senator Charles ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveWorkman
  • 1 Post By WHEC724

Thread: A new letter from Senator Grassley

This is a result of using Popvox... I get more responses from that than I do from real snail mail, emails and faxes.

Senator Charles Grassley of Iowa is crafting a bill which addresses gun violence... without infringing on the law abiding... Here's what he says... still very vague... and he'd better hurry...

Thank you for contacting me about gun legislation that the Senate may soon consider. Your views are important to me.

I have always been and continue to be a strong supporter of the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms.

The bill that I am considering offering would be a legislative alternative for senators who support the Second Amendment to also seek solutions to unnecessary gun violence. It is in no way a “gun control” bill or a “deal” with gun control supporters. It contains no new restrictions on private sales of firearms. It does not contain language that would criminalize conduct where an individual does not know he or she is breaking the law.

This legislation would close loopholes in existing law without burdening law-abiding citizens in any way. It would include provisions addressing mental health, gun trafficking, school violence, and ensuring that veterans’ Second Amendment rights are protected. It strengthens veterans’ Second Amendment rights by protecting them from erroneous determinations restricting their right to own a firearm.

Others who have not even seen my bill have decided to describe it in ways that are inaccurate. They have also made inaccurate statements about Senate procedure. I support the efforts of Senators Paul, Cruz, Lee, Rubio, and Inhofe to oppose legislation on the Senate floor that would prohibit private sales of firearms, ban semi-automatic firearms the opposition labels as “assault weapons,” and laws that would criminalize unknowing conduct. However, it is just not the case that filibustering the motion to proceed to any bill means that the bill cannot be considered. That is just not how the Senate operates.

You can be sure that when the Senate considers any gun legislation, I will staunchly defend the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens, as I have built a record doing for as long as I have served in Congress. Since you can be sure that I fully share your position on the Second Amendment, you may want to disregard anyone who tells you otherwise.

Sincerely,
    Chuck
    All in all a good letter, I hope his bill, if it truly does what he says, gets some major traction.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Chuck Grassley is a good guy. I've had the opportunity to do two one-on-one interviews with the guy on the phone and he's a straight shooter on gun stuff. He's the guy who actually launched the first Capitol Hill inquiry on Fast & Furious more than 2 years ago.
    84160 likes this.

VIP Member
    Interesting.

Actually enforcing our existing gun laws and increasing the penalties for violent offenders just makes too much sense.

It attempts to solve the problem that the administration really is not trying to solve. Reducing felonious gun usage, eliminates their argument for disarming the population.
    84160 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWorkman View Post
    Chuck Grassley is a good guy. I've had the opportunity to do two one-on-one interviews with the guy on the phone and he's a straight shooter on gun stuff. He's the guy who actually launched the first Capitol Hill inquiry on Fast & Furious more than 2 years ago.
    He also says this: "Since you can be sure that I fully share your position on the Second Amendment, you may want to disregard anyone who tells you otherwise."

And, while he may be a good guy, and may get my vote in his next run (breaking my cardinal rule of voting them all out*)... I don't trust a politician... And, if a politician is telling me to disregard what others are saying, I tend to think he's trying the magician's trick of misdirection... I do give him the benefit of the doubt... But I Trust only what I can Verify.

* I have suspended this rule, temporarily. The temporary replacement rule is to vote out anyone who votes in any way against the second amendment. And, to vote only for those who will pledge to stand for my 2nd amendment rights.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Links