Response from Senator Susan M. Collins

Response from Senator Susan M. Collins

This is a discussion on Response from Senator Susan M. Collins within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thought I'd share this reply to my weekly email campaign. <--snip--> Dear Mr. <whoppo>, Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about gun legislation ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By whoppo
  • 1 Post By heatherr855
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 2 Post By ppkheat

Thread: Response from Senator Susan M. Collins

Distinguished Member

Thumbs up Response from Senator Susan M. Collins

Thought I'd share this reply to my weekly email campaign.

<--snip-->

Dear Mr. <whoppo>,

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about gun legislation being considered by Congress. I share your commitment to protecting the Second Amendment and appreciate your comments in defense of the constitutional right to bear arms.

I grew up in northern Maine, where responsible gun ownership is part of the heritage of many families. Throughout my Senate service, I have worked to uphold this heritage, and have opposed legislation that would infringe on the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. I also remain strongly opposed to a national gun registry and national buyback programs. As you are no doubt aware, Maine has one of the highest rates of gun ownership, yet the lowest rate of violent crime in the country.

In the wake of recent tragedies, several gun control proposals have been introduced in Congress, including Senator Feinstein's Assault Weapons Ban of 2013 (S.150), which I oppose. On March 19, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid announced that the Assault Weapons Ban would not be included in the text of a gun measure scheduled to be brought to the Senate floor for consideration later this month due to lack of support for the ban. S.150 would impose onerous and unneeded requirements on gun owners, sportsmen, and firearms manufacturers.

As was the case in the Connecticut, Colorado, and Arizona shootings, severe mental illness is a common factor in many of these tragedies. We need to have a national dialogue to evaluate how we as a society can better identify and care for troubled individuals who pose a threat to themselves and others. I am an original cosponsor of S.264, the Excellence in Mental Health Act. Our current system is fragmented, and patients with serious mental illness all too often lack access to the care that they need. This bipartisan bill would expand access to mental health care for these individuals through our nation's Community Mental Health Centers. It will also improve the quality of mental health care by holding these centers accountable to higher standards.

I believe that denying the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens won't change the behavior of those who intend to use firearms for destructive and tragic purposes. Instead, our laws should focus on keeping guns out of the hands of dangerous criminals and those with severe mental illnesses who could endanger themselves or others.

Thank you again for contacting me on this important matter. Please be assured that I stand behind the constitutional right to bear arms and will keep your views in mind as the Senate considers gun legislation.

Sincerely,

Susan M. Collins
    United States Senator

<--snip-->
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Susan Collins is a long time anti-gunner. She is rated D- by the GOA. In 2004 Collins voted to extend the AWB.

Collins is rated D- by the GOA.

Distinguished Member
    With the number of politicians waffling on the topic (most presumably in hopes of re-election) it's hard to predict their short-term actions based on their "report cards".
    If she's willing to pee in the liberal's cheerios this year, I'll take it.
    Rock and Glock and airslot like this.

Sounds like that may be the case.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    With the number of politicians waffling on the topic (most presumably in hopes of re-election) it's hard to predict their short-term actions based on their "report cards".
    If she's willing to pee in the liberal's cheerios this year, I'll take it.
    Take it, but verify her votes in the congressional record... and if she fails to fulfill her statements, cal her on it.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

That's the thing with politicians.They say one thing to the public, but is it something they really mean?Since i don't trust them,i started trying to find out,who voted for what on a firearm bill.
    airslot likes this.

Only thing I see wrong is that reference to the mental health access thing. Access isnt the problem. Mentally ill folks usually think they are fine and everyone else has the problem. Not always but usually. So they arent going to try to access something they dont think they need.

Want access? Walk into an mental health service and say you think you have a problem. You will get access to everything they have and then some if you need it or not.

Say that you believe your a danger to yourself or others and boy will you get access out the wazoo. Free of charge.

" It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Take it, but verify her votes in the congressional record... and if she fails to fulfill her statements, cal her on it.
    absolutely! make no mistake... I'm hopeful for short-term wins in Congress when I get a reply such as this, but it in no way equates to any form of "trust" in any politician.

I'm watching this really closely....

As was the case in the Connecticut, Colorado, and Arizona shootings, severe mental illness is a common factor in many of these tragedies.

Are you paranoid? Do you have a fixation with guns and weaponry? How many firearms websites do you belong to? Are you a member of any survivalist forums? Would you describe your politics as extreme right wing?

Opinion: Growing threat of extreme right-wing violence - CNN.com

Should you be allowed to own firearms?

Watch that "common sense legislation" coming down the pike and see how it affects you.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I don't trust anyone, especially politicians...it's all about personal greed.
    airslot likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Keep the pressure on them for now, however if they don't vote the way you want them to, then get involved against them in their next election. We can't just rely on our one vote anymore. We have to get on board someone running for election that you agree with and help them out with a donation of our time and money.

New tactics for us, but we've got to outwork the competition ! Make 2014 become a "2A Revolution"

I AIN'T QUITTIN' and I AIN'T FORGETTIN'
    airslot and whoppo like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

When it comes to politicians. Its all smoke and mirrors folks its all smoke and mirrors. D.T.A. (Dont trust anyone).

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Politician=If the mouth is moving, the BS is flowing.

The stench is reaching the level of overwhelming. The time to flush it has arrived.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Links