Rep. Steve Stockman says he'll use a house blue slip to kill anti gun bill

This is a discussion on Rep. Steve Stockman says he'll use a house blue slip to kill anti gun bill within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Tuesday, April 2, 2013 | Jennifer Harper | The Washington Times Should Senate Democrats approve a sweeping new anti-gun bill in the near future, Rep.Steve ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Bummer
  • 2 Post By BugDude
  • 1 Post By oakchas
  • 1 Post By LoneStarSooner

Thread: Rep. Steve Stockman says he'll use a house blue slip to kill anti gun bill

Rep. Steve Stockman says he'll use a house blue slip to kill anti gun bill

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 | Jennifer Harper | The Washington Times
    Should Senate Democrats approve a sweeping new anti-gun bill in the near future, Rep.Steve Stockman says he’ll seek to automatically kill it using a House “blue slip.” That slip automatically returns to the Senate any bill that violates the “origination clause” of the U.S. Constitution, which says all bills that raise revenue must originate in the House.

“The Democrat gun ban is dead on arrival. I will introduce in the House a blue-slip resolution that will automatically kill the Senate gun ban,” the Texas Republican promises. “Not only are Democrats on the wrong side of public opinion, they are on the wrong side of the Constitution. You can’t strip Americans of their gun rights, and you certainly can’t do it by having the Senate create a national tax on firearms. They are in violation of constitutional limits on federal power.”

Mr. Stockman notes that the Democrat-sponsored bill requires background checks to purchase or acquire a weapon and requires people to pay for the checks. This makes the bill a revenue measure, he argues, citing Supreme Court precedent and a Heritage Foundation analysis.

Blue-slip resolutions, incidentally, are immediately considered as a matter of constitutional privilege, are debatable for an hour and are not subject to amendment.
    BugDude, Jetfuelrm and joker1 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Hope it flies!
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

VIP Member
    I've not heard of a proposal to create a national tax on firearms. Where's that notion coming from?

Ah, a quick Google gets this: SB-2099 - Diabolical Conspiracy to Tax Handguns - Urban Legends
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I've not heard of a proposal to create a national tax on firearms. Where's that notion coming from?

Ah, a quick Google gets this: SB-2099 - Diabolical Conspiracy to Tax Handguns - Urban Legends
    I've read several articles about this recently (not the urban legend part) and it seems like it's becoming a more viable problem. I don't know if it will fly but at least someone is standing up to the idea.

The bill should be returned with a blue slip and a jar of gasoline!OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

"requires background checks to purchase or acquire a weapon and requires people to pay for the checks. This makes the bill a revenue measure"

It's an indirect tax. You know, kind of how Oblamer said the Obamacare money was a penalty, then when that wasn't kosher they declared it was a tax (because they have the authority to tax).
    oakchas and Crowbait like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Some States that have already enacted "universal" background checks have tacked on a fee for performing the check. A Federal law will likely do the same. Even ammo sales have had a "sin tax" added in some States. Feds could include that in their bills too. There's also the fingerprinting requirements in some areas for gun/ammo sales. Add in FOID cards and you're looking at half a dozen extra fees when buying guns and/or ammo. Dems never miss an oppertunity to put their hand in your pocketbook.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    Some States that have already enacted "universal" background checks have tacked on a fee for performing the check. A Federal law will likely do the same. Even ammo sales have had a "sin tax" added in some States. Feds could include that in their bills too. There's also the fingerprinting requirements in some areas for gun/ammo sales. Add in FOID cards and you're looking at half a dozen extra fees when buying guns and/or ammo. Dems never miss an oppertunity to put their hand in your pocketbook.
    The states do all sorts of things. Meanwhile, I've still not seen a real citation to a real piece
    of legislation in The Senate that would conflict with The House's constitutional prerogatives. Maybe
    I've missed something. I just found it interesting that when I tried to find the real story I quickly
    came upon the link I put up.

If The Senate sends a bill (on any subject) to The House which is constitutionally dicey for any reason, I'd expect
    any and all Critters to cause The House to "stand its constitutional ground" -- and the other way around if The
    House sends something to The Senate that is not constitutionally solid.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

The cost is already being charged to CCW applicants to renew my Nevada permit to renew is $65.25 and the cost of the class is another $70.00. My california permit is just as expensive then add in the cost of ammunition and you have a large expense just to renew and run the name in a data base.

Regardless of the bogus "list your firearms on you Tax form" nonsense, Hopyard, I hope the blue slip notion flies... In fact, I'm for ANY means to stop this nonsense at the earliest possible moment...

Perhaps we can label the Blue Slip "the morning after pill." And, Filibuster an "early term abortion."

Those labels ought to satisfy the liberals, and let these unwanted children die. You know, before they become "viable."
    Crowbait likes this.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Regardless of the bogus "list your firearms on you Tax form" nonsense, Hopyard, I hope the blue slip notion flies... In fact, I'm for ANY means to stop this nonsense at the earliest possible moment...

Perhaps we can label the Blue Slip "the morning after pill." And, Filibuster an "early term abortion."

Those labels ought to satisfy the liberals, and let these unwanted children die. You know, before they become "viable."
    What I am trying to get at is the "blue slip" is a limited use deal. The legislation sent to The House
    has to have the appropriate characteristics regarding taxation for that maneuver to be used.

I'm all for use of the blue slip if it is warranted by the nature of a proposed bill and that would be
    the case whether the legislation is gun related or not. If The House's constitutional territory is stepped
    on it is incumbent on them to protect it.

I've yet to see from Google searches that something of the
    sort will be headed to The House. I'd guess that The Senate knows what is subject to a Blue Slip and
    what is not, and will avoid that issue.

I think the critter mentioned in post 1 is merely grand standing and telling his constituents how
    tough he is going to be; but it is bluster IMO.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    The bill should be returned with a blue slip and a jar of Vaseline!OMOYMV
    Fixed it for you.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    The cost is already being charged to CCW applicants to renew my Nevada permit to renew is $65.25 and the cost of the class is another $70.00. My california permit is just as expensive then add in the cost of ammunition and you have a large expense just to renew and run the name in a data base.
    The fees that you referenced are for your ccw processing at the state level. The US Senate bill is for purchasing a firearm. Apples and oranges.
    Bitter clinger!

There are consequences…..

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dling View Post
    The fees that you referenced are for your ccw processing at the state level. The US Senate bill is for purchasing a firearm. Apples and oranges.
    Are you saying that there is a bill in The Senate to directly tax the purchase of a firearm?
    I think not. But I'd be happy to look at whatever source exits.

Anyhow, I agree with you. The two situations you mentioned are apples and oranges.
    Andrew Jackson

Hopyard I agree that it's primarily bluster from Rep Stockman but I think you'll agree that we'd rather have someone blustering for our side than against. I'll take him standing up for us even if he's just doing the "look how pro-2A I am" dance.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may. - Samuel Houston

If you've ever driven across Texas, you know how different one area of the state can be from another. Take El Paso. It looks as much like Dallas as I look like Jack Nicklaus.
    Lee Trevino

Links