Conn School teaching there is NO 2nd Ammendment Rights!

Conn School teaching there is NO 2nd Ammendment Rights!

This is a discussion on Conn School teaching there is NO 2nd Ammendment Rights! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; School: Americans Don?t Have Right to Bear Arms | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes Conn. Father?s Stunning Claim: Son?s School Is Teaching That Americans ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Conn School teaching there is NO 2nd Ammendment Rights!

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member
    I'm glad my kids are grown and have a clue... I fear for my grandchildren though.

This teacher should be fired... immediately.
    84160 likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

VIP Member
    There has been a recent Circuit Court ruling that there is no 2A right to carry concealed.
    10th Circuit- Peterson v. Martinez.

Perhaps that is where the misinformation is coming from, misunderstanding of that decision.
    Or maybe the teacher was trying to explain that the RKBA isn't unlimited, and that idea
    was taken to mean there is no 2A right. Who knows. We weren't there to hear exactly what was said.

Also, schools have always been sources of partial information and misinformation about lots of things.
    Partly this is due to the need to make things understandable for younger children, simplify even
    for older students, and partly it is poor text books or poor teacher education.
    Mostly they get it right, but teachers are human too.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Our schools here, while probably ranked last in the nation, do not teach this crap. Most of the teachers in my kids schools attend church, believe in morals, and believe in the constitution. It is all about where you live. You wouldn't see this crap here. A group of gun toting rednecks would show up to remove said teacher from his/her position.
    NONAME762 and surefire7 like this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I learned in the military that those who should often know, don't. I made it a habit of reading the regs, etc., and learning the real truth. Hopefully enough student will be smart enough to do some "homework" of their own and see the truth.
    msgt/ret and Sarge65 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    They are just planning ahead. The liberal machine in this country would happily eradicate the Second so the sooner they start teaching their subjects that it doesn't exist, the sooner they can fully repeal it.
    msgt/ret, 84160 and SigPapa226 like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I have always thought the teaching curiculum was set up by a state scholastic board. If that is the case, then how are the teachers allowed to divert from the scheduled/printed curiculum? In my humble opinion, the teachers should be fired, without a hearing.

VIP Member
    When genuine facts do not support a position, make up some that do. It works for the current administration, so why shouldn't it work for a Social Studies teacher in Connecticut.
    mprp, msgt/ret, OD* and 2 others like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    I have always thought the teaching curiculum was set up by a state scholastic board. If that is the case, then how are the teachers allowed to divert from the scheduled/printed curiculum? In my humble opinion, the teachers should be fired, without a hearing.
    What makes you think it isn't part of their scheduled curriculum? It is, Connecticut after all, and they don't exactly have a stellar track record for being a truly free state.
    84160 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Those with the guns have the power, that's why our government is trying to disarm its citizens.
    msgt/ret, Ghost1958 and 84160 like this.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    When I was in high school, there were 2 AP history teachers. One was very good (mine). The one next door had to be relieved of their history classes and was moved to teaching psychology (their original subject). Why? Because this teacher was making up absolutely ridiculously inaccurate fictional delusions tied to racial prejudices. Because of politics, this went on for an entire year. The class had to be supplemented and corrected after hours to fix the misinformation they were being spoonfed. This teacher was not fired, only placed in a different subject. At the time, we as students laughed about it. Looking back, that is some scary stuff that is probably happening all over the country.

Guy sounds like an idiot...but I don't think the parent is that bright either. Sorry, just calling it the way I see it. Teacher is definitely wrong stating or supporting literature given to students that says:
    “This means that the rights of this amendment are not extended to the individual citizens of the states,” the worksheet reads. “So a person has no right to complain about a Second Amendment violation by state laws.”
    According to the document, the Second Amendment “only provides the right of a state to keep an armed National Guard.”
    Whether folks agree with this or not the teacher is correct in this statement: (I am not saying the courts and SCOTUS get it right, just that the statement is correct)

As noted in the worksheet provided to students – that means “the interpretation changes to meet the needs of the times.”
    “The judges and courts of each generation provide the interpretation of the document,” the worksheet states.
    I don't understand why the parent thinks it is mind boggling. We have had the Constitution change over time for the good (womens suffarge, slavery). And courts do interpret the Constitution correctly also which folks always seem to forget. We love SCOTUS when they agree, but think they are Constitutional morons when we disagree

Boibeaux called that concept mind-boggling.
    It’s not up to the teacher to determine what the Constitution means,” he said. “If you want to learn about the Constitution, recite it word for word.”
    And I do not want a teacher to stand their and recite word for word a document and chalk that up as teaching. At that grade level they can get more into it than a recitation of a document. It is a social studies class. The kids need to be enabled to think on their own. A proper discussion of what is going on with gun rights in this country is not a bad thing to be discussing in 8th grade social studies. But it does need to be unbiaesed from the schools official syllabus. That is where the teacher is wrong. Terms like "regulated" should be discussed so folks understand that words have different meanings now than they did over 200 years ago.

Or discuss the state of the country at the time it was written, possibly bring up the Federalist pages and writings from people of the era to get n understanding of why they wrote the 2A. The 2A underwent many revisions before the final wording...which is saying that it was a compromise from everybody.
    oakchas and msgt/ret like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Guy sounds like an idiot...but I don't think the parent is that bright either. Sorry, just calling it the way I see it. Teacher is definitely wrong stating or supporting literature given to students that says:

Whether folks agree with this or not the teacher is correct in this statement: (I am not saying the courts and SCOTUS get it right, just that the statement is correct)

I don't understand why the parent thinks it is mind boggling. We have had the Constitution change over time for the good (womens suffarge, slavery). And courts do interpret the Constitution correctly also which folks always seem to forget. We love SCOTUS when they agree, but think they are Constitutional morons when we disagree

And I do not want a teacher to stand their and recite word for word a document and chalk that up as teaching. At that grade level they can get more into it than a recitation of a document. It is a social studies class. The kids need to be enabled to think on their own. A proper discussion of what is going on with gun rights in this country is not a bad thing to be discussing in 8th grade social studies. But it does need to be unbiaesed from the schools official syllabus. That is where the teacher is wrong. Terms like "regulated" should be discussed so folks understand that words have different meanings now than they did over 200 years ago.

Or discuss the state of the country at the time it was written, possibly bring up the Federalist pages and writings from people of the era to get n understanding of why they wrote the 2A. The 2A underwent many revisions before the final wording...which is saying that it was a compromise from everybody.
    What? You want our children to be educated rather than INDOCTRINATED? What, are you crazy? In the PUBLIC schools? Really?

I agree with you, of course... But I can also see that the schools are indeed INDOCTRINATING our children... and that through ZERO tolerance policies, are in fact creating a generation of Hopolophobes.

There are two factions (which are both minorities today) clashing. The gun grabbers and the 2nd Amendment fundamentalists. The rest of the country is "meh, who cares?" By the time the schools have finished with the current generation, the majority may very well be gun grabbers.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I don't understand why the parent thinks it is mind boggling. We have had the Constitution change over time for the good (womens suffarge, slavery).
    The amendment process enshrined in the Consitution is the mechanism by which it changes. Both womens suffarge (sic), and slavery were appropriately handled via the 15th and 19th amendments. If you think the Constitution is a living document subject to interpretation, why even bother to write it down? Please go back and read Justice Joseph Story's Commentaries on the Consitution of the United States.
    Tzadik likes this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    The amendment process enshrined in the Consitution is the mechanism by which it changes. Both womens suffarge (sic), and slavery were appropriately handled via the 15th and 19th amendments. If you think the Constitution is a living document subject to interpretation, why even bother to write it down? Please go back and read Justice Joseph Story's Commentaries on the Consitution of the United States.
    and the last part of my qoute:
    And courts do interpret the Constitution correctly also which folks always seem to forget. We love SCOTUS when they agree, but think they are Constitutional morons when we disagree
    I don't understand what you are trying to say. SCOTUS is their to make sure legal judgements by lower courts are COnstitutional. They do have to interpret the Constitution (meaning the Founding Fathers intent) as technology and other advancements change. Wiretapping is at the top of my head when thinking about this.

Also, they have interpreted the meaning of the 2A over time. If you don't like the owrd interprut then find a different one.

I am not saying that they interpret it to appease the current societal norms by any stretch of the imagination.

Oh,here is the qoute I was referring to :
    It’s not up to the teacher to determine what the Constitution means,” he said. “If you want to learn about the Constitution, recite it word for word.”
    In bold...betcha 5 bucks the father has no clue about the rest of the document and does not understand the meaning of the word "regulated" and how it was defined back then.
    He thinks that a teachers job to teach the Constitutionis to just read it....give me a break. We on this forum don't agree with how it is implemeted. Some folks think background checks and mandatory liscening and training for CC'er is just hunky dory. The teacher is an idiot, but the father is also for making such an outlandish statement.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links