Senate Bi-Partisan Background Check Agreement Reached

This is a discussion on Senate Bi-Partisan Background Check Agreement Reached within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm watching the Today show and their breaking news is that there will be a formal announcement at 11:00 am ET today about an agreement ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Senate Bi-Partisan Background Check Agreement Reached

Senate Bi-Partisan Background Check Agreement Reached

I'm watching the Today show and their breaking news is that there will be a formal announcement at 11:00 am ET today about an agreement being reached. The only details is that it won't cover transfers between family members (i.e., it won't be truly universal). I haven't been able to find any more details at this time. The statement was that this bi-partisan group has enough votes to "block a Republican filibuster."

If that is indeed true hopefully things will stop in the House.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    We will have to (READ) the actual proposed law.
    I am certain it will contain enough nebulous verbage to give the anti's wiggle room to interpret as they see fit.

I think I'll apply to law school. The courts will be over flowing for years!
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

If it turns out to be SB 480 it might not be so bad, but the way it was portrayed (NBC, so who knows) it seems like it will be worse.

Exclamation Termination of debate (cloture) scheduled for Thu, 4/10/13

Quote Originally Posted by From the Congressional Record's Daily Digest for 4/9/2013
    Daily Digest (pD283) ... Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act — Cloture:

Senate began consideration of the motion to proceed to consideration of S. 649, to ensure that all individuals who should be prohibited from buying a firearm are listed in the national instant criminal background check system and require a background check for every firearm sale. Pages S2475–78, S2482–92

A motion was entered to close further debate on the motion to proceed to consideration of the bill, and, in accordance with the provisions of Rule XXII of the Standing Rules of the Senate, a vote on cloture will occur on Thursday, April 11, 2013. Page S2492

A unanimous-consent-time agreement was reached providing for further consideration of the motion to proceed to consideration of the bill at approximately 9:30 a.m., on Wednesday, April 10, 2013, and the next hour be equally divided and controlled between the two Leaders, or their designees, with Senators permitted to speak therein for up to 10 minutes each, with the first half controlled by the Republicans and the second half controlled by the Majority. Page S2509

9:30am Weds, 4/10/13, on C-SPAN -- This is when the discussion on the floor will occur, subject to apparently agreed-upon restrictions on debate, including proposed cloture (termination of further debate) on Thurs, 4/11.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cn262 View Post
    If it turns out to be SB 480 it might not be so bad, but the way it was portrayed (NBC, so who knows) it seems like it will be worse.
    The networks are going to portray anything as a victory, and maybe it is.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Here's a related story. It looks like Republicans are still fighting to avoid a registration database, which is important.

Coburn: There won?t be a filibuster ? CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

VIP Member
    So the Senate will take a test vote on Thursday. lets say they can get it to pass. What is next. Doesn't the House have to pass it?

FYI: for the record I am against it! enough is enough! It is time to move on from the Gun control talk
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    If passed then it goes to the house for their consideration then back to the senate to iron out any differences.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    If passed then it goes to the house for their consideration then back to the senate to iron out any differences.
    Thats what I thought but remember how obamacare got pushed thru. Middle of the night closed doors who knows what kind of deals they will cut.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Thats what I thought but remember how obamacare got pushed thru. Middle of the night closed doors who knows what kind of deals they will cut.
    Yea, but that happened with a democratic majority in the House. We have a Republican majority so it won't be that easy.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Surprised to find a decent, balanced story on CNN about why new gun laws probably won't be effective. This link was right under the link about the potential Senate deal. Not used to seeing things like this lately.

CNN Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Yea, but that happened with a democratic majority in the House. We have a Republican majority so it won't be that easy.
    In a word... RINO.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Another NRA A rated traitor to our side just killed the filibuster and opened the flood gates. Why am I not surprised? If a senator sits on the fence like that and flops over to the other side how in the world do they get A ratings from NRA???? I think ill go for a ride before i run my head through a wall I decided to do the NRA thing because a lot here said I should but never ever again. Shouldnt have this time.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Senior Moderator
    It going to pass no matter what.

Its a done deal. Anything else is semantics.

Obama care passed.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    It going to pass no matter what.

Its a done deal. Anything else is semantics.

Obama care passed.
    I thought we had this stopped but now I think I gotta agree with you Hotguns. A few senators were ready to hit this head on but after being back stabbed by their own I cant say I blame em for not wanting to be thrown under the bus that will be allowed to roll over them no matter what they do.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links