"Background checks for online purchases"

This is a discussion on "Background checks for online purchases" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I see this thrown around all the time by antis. What do they mean? We already have to ship online purchases to an FFL and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: "Background checks for online purchases"

I see this thrown around all the time by antis. What do they mean? We already have to ship online purchases to an FFL and have a NICS check before we can take ownership.

Am I missing something?

...nope...just a GREAT opportunity to use the word "ignorant"...they're so busy telling us what to do and not to do, they don't bother themselves finding out what it is that we're DOING...kinda like the ignoramus who said "use up all the hi-cap mags"...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    I see this thrown around all the time by antis. What do they mean? We already have to ship online purchases to an FFL and have a NICS check before we can take ownership.

Am I missing something?
    Only that there are a lot of people in the anti-gun movement who are ignorant of firearms laws that are already on the books.
    Snub44 likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...nope...just a GREAT opportunity to use the word "ignorant"...they're so busy telling us what to do and not to do, they don't bother themselves finding out what it is that we're DOING...kinda like the ignoramus who said "use up all the hi-cap mags"...
    Notice that I seized the great opportunity to use the word "ignorant" in the post below yours.
    Snub44 likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

...by their own admission, they don't read 'em...they just pass 'em...

Report: Background check deal reached, debate Thursday

Report: Background check deal reached, debate Thursday - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

And there's a hint that this could be a starting point for national CPL reciprocity.

We'll see

OK, so lets drive a REALLY hard compromise, and offer up background checks ONLY on on-line sales. Give 'em half of what they want, right?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member

Am I missing something?
    You aren't missing anything; it's propaganda that gets parroted by people who choose to remain ignorant about firearms laws because it fits their personal beliefs on 'the problem'. Everyone who wants to know how internet firearm purchases work, understands that all sales must go through an FFL. However the anti-gun activists want people to believe that there is some vast "loophole" that allows all sorts of dangerous criminals to purchase firearms over the internet and have them sent directly to their batcave, where they can amass a huge stockpile of weapons and unleash vast destruction to all humanity.
    Snub44 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

jsk

Am I missing something?
    I've wondered about this as well. Only think I can think of is they're talking about online sales between individuals where the actual exchange is in-person rather than shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...by their own admission, they don't read 'em...they just pass 'em...
    It's aggravating to be sure. Saw some good news today though. It looks like the Tennessee senate is well on the way to blocking public access to the state database of handgun carry permit holders.
    msgt/ret and Snub44 like this.

...you lost me at national...sounds too much like Federal...
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveWorkman View Post
    Report: Background check deal reached, debate Thursday

Report: Background check deal reached, debate Thursday - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

And there's a hint that this could be a starting point for national CPL reciprocity.

We'll see

Am I missing something?
    No, you're not missing "much"... This would require a background check on a private transaction that starts with some kind of on-line advertisement.
    Say you posted a gun for sale on this forum and it turns out you live just down the road from me 40 miles, so I say..Hey, I've got the cash, I can meet you in the parking lot of Joe's cafe tomorrow and we'll do the deal and have breakfast.

That would now become: "I'll meet you at Fred's gun store and we can have Fred do the check'

unless they provide some kind of on-line background check capability for private citizens.

Now, if it is a cross state transfer, everything apparently remains the same as is...go through an FFL..
    Hopyard and Pistology like this.

Yea, I don't get that one either. If you listen to this crap, you would think that you just go online and order a gun and it magically shows up at your door.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Yea, I don't get that one either. If you listen to this crap, you would think that you just go online and order a gun and it magically shows up at your door.
    That's exactly what they want people to believe because that supports their position that more laws and more government are needed to ensure everyone's safety.
    varob likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I see this thrown around all the time by antis. What do they mean?
    This one can be filed right along side some of the statistics they come up with, such as: "40% of all gun sales are done without a background check".
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links