Would you be willing to boycott the purchase of guns made in anti-2A states?

This is a discussion on Would you be willing to boycott the purchase of guns made in anti-2A states? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; With the ill-considered and rushed anti-gun legislation recently passed in some states; would you be willing to actively boycott the purchase of firearms and gun-related ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Would you be willing to boycott the purchase of guns made in anti-2A states?

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar

With the ill-considered and rushed anti-gun legislation recently passed in some states; would you be willing to actively boycott the purchase of firearms and gun-related accessories from any manufacturer who resides in those states? Here is the gist of my email soon to go out to Sturm Ruger and Company.

"Dear Sir or Madam, I wanted to send you a picture of the last Ruger product I will ever purchase, new or used, as long as Sturm Ruger and Co., remains in the anti-2nd Amendment state Connecticut."
    Eagleks likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Yes, I do.

There are plenty of other options, including on the pre-owned market.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If they support the anti agenda then yes. If they are just caught up in the mess and have little chance to do anything about it, then heck no; it's not their fault they live and work in a worthless state. I'd say, support um all we can and hope they can build enough revenue to get the heck out at some point. JMO, YMMV.
    Tzadik, AZJD1968 and Jeanlouise like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I would say the first choice would be to put the pressure on them to get up and move. They got caught up in the mess, IIRC Ruger has their own lobbying group so you can't say they weren't trying. If they refuse to move then that's when we should look at the boycott option.

Depends on how much $$$ I'm willing to spend by buying elsewhere. Some of us don't have a lot of coin and buy what we can when we can.

When a manufacture stays in an anti state, they pour money into that states economy. Thus supporting that state. I would have to say yes I would support a boycott. .
    KoriBustard and jem102 like this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member
    It's not the fault of the manufacturers in anti-gun states. You'd be risking a lot of American jobs. In other words, no I wouldn't boycott their products if those products were something I wanted. I will, however, never do business with CTD. That's who you should be boycotting. good luck

Many of the manufacturers in the "offending" states have said they will move. In fact. I believe that Ruger has said it will move the rest of their operations to NH.

While I won't boycott a company for being stuck in a crappy state, it will play into my decision on who to buy from. If it comes down to two products that are of similar quality/features at a similar price point, being in a gun-friendly state will tip the scales in favor of that product for me.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Yep but I think ruger is moving. Id be even happier to boycott ammo and weapons manufactures that sell to LE and other agencys in those states. Or the DHS ATF or well you get the point.
    91wm6 and Aragorn77 like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    With the ill-considered and rushed anti-gun legislation recently passed in some states; would you be willing to actively boycott the purchase of firearms and gun-related accessories from any manufacturer who resides in those states? Here is the gist of my email soon to go out to Sturm Ruger and Company.

"Dear Sir or Madam, I wanted to send you a picture of the last Ruger product I will ever purchase, new or used, as long as Sturm Ruger and Co., remains in the anti-2nd Amendment state Connecticut."
    The problem with that approach is that Ruger actually manufactures no guns in Connecticut, although they did a long time ago. They currently manufacture here in Arizona and in New Hampshire.

And if I lived in Massachusetts, or was still a taxpaying property owner there, no, I would not boycott Smith and Wesson, for example. They aren't there because they love Taxachusetts or its restrictive gun laws (worse than Connecticut's until just a few days ago), they're there because of a skilled worker base and the expense of relocating elsewhere. I'm not about to punish the gun manufacturers or their employees for a situation they didn't create. Colt actually bused a number of its West Hartford employees to Hartford to protest the proposed legislation several weeks ago, but even though the majority party there is in love with unionized workers, the thought of losing union jobs didn't deter Malloy and his cronies.

I think one's time, money and energies are more productively spent supporting the upcoming legal challenges to the laws that New York, Connecticut and Colorado just enacted.
    wmhawth and glockman10mm like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    If they support the anti agenda then yes. If they are just caught up in the mess and have little chance to do anything about it, then heck no; it's not their fault they live and work in a worthless state. I'd say, support um all we can and hope they can build enough revenue to get the heck out at some point. JMO, YMMV.
    +1.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I cancelled my usual August ride to Colorado, and when buying online from outside my home state, I favor sellers in Arizona.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    The one bright side to all of this just might be that now seems a great time to make such a jump, given record sales for many companies, strong profits and stock prices, crappy economy and real estate (overall), plenty of folks willing to make a move in order to keep a job, etc. I'm sure that given the current tenor of the "conversation," too, means that MANY states will be waiting with open arms for such a move by these sorts of companies.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I already am - see earlier letter to Colt. I believe Ruger has moved its US mfg to NH and AZ. I didn't have any plans to buy Mossbergs or StagArms before the ban, so I haven't written them.

Not like you can find P-Mags anyhow without a ridiculous markup, but I won't be buying anything from them until they put their money where their mouth is and leave CO.

I've been on a Sig binge lately... they're made right down the street, and make just about everything Colt currently makes that interests me.

I avoid buying anything from the People's Republics to the South. If I have to drive through, visit (cringe), or use the airport (I do my best to fly out of MHT), I fuel up North of the border and bring a cooler so I don't have to buy any food.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links