The Filibuster was started and voted down

This is a discussion on The Filibuster was started and voted down within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well thanks to our pro gun reps Rand and McConnell began the filibuster and the 60 votes to stop it suddenly materialised this morning to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: The Filibuster was started and voted down

The Filibuster was started and voted down

Well thanks to our pro gun reps Rand and McConnell began the filibuster and the 60 votes to stop it suddenly materialised this morning to end it. The bill that a lot here seems to think is really nothing includes a lot of things none of us apparently knew. Its a disaster.
    I just spoke to Rand and McConnell.

Thank you very much Toomey Manchin McCain and the NRA. We have just been blindsided again.

Check GOA site for what is actually in this stupid bill and it is open for any amendments that anyone wants to try to attach to it.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

2. Remove Ads

16 Republicans voted with the Democrats

(Copied from elsewhere)
    Kelly Ayotte (N.H.)
    Richard Burr (N.C.)
    Saxby Chambliss (Ga.)
    Tom Coburn (Okla.)
    Susan Collins (Maine)
    Bob Corker (Tenn.)
    Jeff Flake (Ariz.)
    Lindsey Graham (S.C.)
    Dean Heller (Nev.)
    John Hoeven (N.D.)
    Johnny Isakson (Ga.)
    Mark Kirk (Ill.),
    John McCain (Ariz.)
    Pat Toomey (Pa.)
    Roger Wicker (Miss.)
    Lamar Alexander (Tenn.)

NRA's rating of those...
    Lamar Alexander (Tenn.) – NRA A rated
    Kelly Ayotte (N.H.) – NRA A rated
    Richard Burr (N.C.) – NRA A rated
    Saxby Chambliss (Ga.) – NRA A rated
    Tom Coburn (Okla.) – NRA A rated
    Susan Collins (Maine) – NRA B+ rated
    Bob Corker (Tenn.) – NRA A rated
    Jeff Flake (Ariz.) – NRA A rated
    Lindsey Graham (S.C.) – NRA A rated
    Dean Heller (Nev.) – NRA A rated
    John Hoeven (N.D.) – NRA A rated
    Johnny Isakson (Ga.) – NRA A rated
    Mark Kirk (Ill.) – NRA D rated
    John McCain (Ariz.) – NRA B+ rated
    Pat Toomey (Pa.) – NRA A rated
    Roger Wicker (Miss.) – NRA A+ rated
    Concealed means hidden from ordinary observation so as to prevent disclosure or recognition. A deadly weapon is concealed when it is carried on or about the person in such a manner that another person in the ordinary course of events would not be placed on notice that the weapon was being carried.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Well thanks to our pro gun reps Rand and McConnell began the filibuster and the 60 votes to stop it suddenly materialised this morning to end it. The bill that a lot here seems to think is really nothing includes a lot of things none of us apparently knew. Its a disaster.
    I just spoke to Rand and McConnell.

Thank you very much Toomey Manchin McCain and the NRA. We have just been blindsided again.

Check GOA site for what is actually in this stupid bill and it is open for any amendments that anyone wants to try to attach to it.
    I don't think you have it correct exactly what went down... but the 60 votes to move the bill forward were well known two days ago. And so a filibuster was never feasible. And this is not the bill that NRA is supporting either. And no one has ever SEEN the version supposedly agreed to in order to garner the 60 votes. Nor is there any way to know if it will even make it into the bill. I think it was certainly a mistake for them to agree to vote the bill forward under that circumstance. But its far from over.

VIP Member
    Just goes to show you that the NRA does not really have much of a clue on how to rate these folks. At least at this point, however, they have only voted to discuss the issue, not enact anything. It does make you wonder what is up in AZ & TN however.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Saxby and Isakson have been pulling this garbage for a long time now. Saxby has been running anti-gun propaganda on cable network for at least a couple of months now. I suppose it was in anticipation of this legislation.
    Pistology likes this.

The last I heard Tuesday is the ones who agreed on the vote to let the bill get to the floor and not filibuster did so only if each measure were to be voted on separately. I think I like this for 3 reasons:

1) the only measures likely to pass are background checks at gun shows and criminalizing straw purchases (which is already illegal to sell a firearm to a person who can't legally own one). I'm on the fence about background checks at gun shows only because it opens a can of worms on all private transfers.

2) there can be serious debate on actually ENFORCING existing laws.

3) all the anti 2nd amendment measures in the bill will be voted on and won't pass; BUT we get to see where each and every representative stands on each and every measure because they'll be on record, and vote the Rhinos and so called "blue dogs" out of office. Mark Pryor and all the Dems from conservative states were praying for a filibuster so they wouldn't have to go on record as either A.) thumbing their nose at their constituents; or B.) thumbing their nose at their party.

It's a shame I can't vote against Pat Toomey until 2016.
    blitzburgh likes this.

Shameful.............get ready to live like we do here in NJ............Oppressive.

...n e v e r...
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxplosive View Post
    shameful.............get ready to live like we do here in nj............oppressive.

Just got off the phone with a staffer in Isaksons office. Apparently he is going to vote No when the actual bill comes up for debate. He wanted to allow debate on the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

VIP Member
    Lindsey Graham is a RINO that will pound a stump with conservative talk, and then turn around and vote the exact opposite. It's maddening.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    ....It does make you wonder what is up in AZ & TN however.
    And GA. McCain is singing the old big-government-can't-live-without-it jingo under the guise of being the Great Compromiser. Give me a break. RINO Schmino. Yeah, Republicans are for big government show, too.
    What I want to know is if discussing infringing on the right to keep and bear arms is not the time for a filibuster, when is?
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

With few exceptions, politicians are only worried three things, Money, Power, and Self. They are too busy playing politics to actually do the right thing. We need to elect better people. It is not a republican/democrat problem... it is a DC problem.

Besides, the word politics explains it all. Poli- meaning many and -tics meaning blood sucking creatures.
    RookWV, msgt/ret and Peckerhead like this.

Better People = stop electing Lawyers.
    mook012, airslot, BamaT and 2 others like this.

The bill coming up for a vote is not a bad thing. First it exposes who is really who, and most importantly it allows for anyone to amend the bill with other legislation, which makes it very, very difficult to get a consensus for either side, effectively forcing a " pigeon holed" or dead bill.

Back to Civics 101
    BugDude likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links