the Manchin-Toomey Amendment

This is a discussion on the Manchin-Toomey Amendment within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The text of the Manchin-Toomey Amendment, pending in the U.S. Senate....

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: the Manchin-Toomey Amendment

The text of the Manchin-Toomey Amendment, pending in the U.S. Senate.
    Attached Files

VIP Member
    Clear as mud. A clear choice between freedom and the federation. Notice, in the first paragraphs, all of the withholdings of federal grant money to non-compliant states. Making the states do the dirty work by lording over billions in LE funding. Billions first forcibly removed from productive citizens.
    For further on this angle on a non-related upcoming SCOTUS trial issue, click the link. But if you're not already wearing your tin foil hat, you may want to get it.
    It's a short article that begins with an opinion from the MOJ. That's the Ministry of Justice. In Russia. The article leads to high-stakes legal maneuvering by the Lawyer-in-Chief. And it has the Cato Institute's imprimatur warning of TEOTWAWKI.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member
    Hmm. Say bye bye to internet gun forum listings for face to face transfers:

it shall be unlawful for any person
    other than a licensed dealer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed importer to complete the transfer of a firearm to any other person who is not licensed under this chapter, if such transfer occurs—
    (B) pursuant to an advertisement, posting,
    display or other listing on the Internet or in a publc
    cation by the transferor of his intent to transfer, or
    the transferee of his intent to acquire, the firearm.

I'm not quite sure about the Attonery General certification exception, but there is an exception for family members.

No wonder the Republicans are scratching their heads and wondering why their support is lacking. What a disaster. They didn't even have the spine to preclude cloture.
    Duisburg likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    Thinking about this more, this is an unmitigated disaster, regardless of whether anything emerges from the Senate.

Say what you want about the democrats and the left. But you have to respect them for sticking to the guns. Pun intended. They don't back down, they don't give up, they press on and endure.

The republicans, on the other hand, have been skittish for the past 20+ years. For once, for once, make a stand! But they won't.

I'll write my senator and my congressman. I'll do what I can.

But damn I am tired of carrying their water in leaky buckets.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Say what you want about the democrats and the left. But you have to respect them for sticking to the guns. Pun intended. They don't back down, they don't give up, they press on and endure.

The republicans, on the other hand, have been skittish for the past 20+ years. For once, for once, make a stand! But they won't.

-AMEN!
    "In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.....those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
    -Clint Eastwood "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly"

VIP Member
    It looks to create another goverment agency that will have more possible controls or powers in place. This is much worse than just UBC. It needs to be stopped at all costs
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

This Manchin-Toomey thing still has to get through the entire senate and then by the house. It may be DOA, or changed so much so as not to matter all that much.

Sometimes I think if we threw a small bone to the antis, (say, UBCs without registration?) they would back off and go find something else that is much easier and cheaper to support and rally around. In other words, give them a little something to crow about so they can declare victory and then shut the hell up.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billstaf View Post

Sometimes I think if we threw a small bone to the antis, (say, UBCs without registration?) they would back off and go find something else that is much easier and cheaper to support and rally around. In other words, give them a little something to crow about so they can declare victory and then shut the hell up.
    thats how they get their foot in the door! no no no
    phreddy, msgt/ret, zacii and 2 others like this.
    Wyatt Earp

This bill seems to give too much power to the U.S. Attorney General..... From withholding funds to states that do not entirely implement, getting approval from U.S. Attorney General for certain things, language that allows the U.S. Attorney General to make regulations(further) based on this bill.......

Simply put......... A no vote is a must on this bill.............
    MrBuckwheat likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    This bill seems to give too much power to the U.S. Attorney General..... From withholding funds to states that do not entirely implement, getting approval from U.S. Attorney General for certain things, language that allows the U.S. Attorney General to make regulations(further) based on this bill.......

Simply put......... A no vote is a must on this bill.............

Eric Holder needs more power???? No
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by billstaf View Post
    This Manchin-Toomey thing still has to get through the entire senate and then by the house. It may be DOA, or changed so much so as not to matter all that much.

NO! 649 must not pass.
    NO! The more they push, the firmer we must stand.
    NO! NEVER UBCs.

Clarifying existing law, and giving a road back from being barred, I can live with...

But, my line in the sand has been tempered with lime and portland... And it's setting up.

ENOUGH GIVING. PERIOD.
    Ghost1958, krisspy, zacii and 2 others like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

not one more inch!
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Both the bills especially the once thought to be harmless Toomey one I see isnt so harmless now that they started amending it. Well Reid has using an amendment tree priviledge. I wish id been wrong. But this is the Feds ya know

P S anyone notice they are gutting the HIPPA regulations????
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Y'all thinking about lines are gonna get flanked.
    You'd better button down the home front.
    It's a battle for the states like the last electoral college. The big feds in the senate are above us, now, and fading. We're depending on the pipsqueak house and those in the hinterlands clinging to their guns and internet forums and active in local state politics.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links