Feel like A Wimp, but ....

This is a discussion on Feel like A Wimp, but .... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Next door neighbor was over. Somehow i need to not bring up guns or magazines (My Bad). she knows i have a weapon in the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Feel like A Wimp, but ....

Next door neighbor was over. Somehow i need to not bring up guns or magazines (My Bad). she knows i have a weapon in the house and it doesn't bother her. She more or less stated that she did not see why anyone should need a high capacity magazine. And that all you need for home defense is a shotgun anyway. I can tell my wife was eying me up to see what my reply was (I thought about it, but just listened quietly). They are really great couple and great neighbors. I'll be the bigger person and pick my fights elsewhere (Wife really likes her too, hard to find friends your age when your 60+) in a new area.

You were smart. She was baiting you. You couldn't win. Save it for later. Good job, Sir.

People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care. What could you say?

I think you did just fine. No need to feel wimpy. There is a time and place for everything. And it is highly unlikely you would win the argument.

I suppose you could have said "I have no problem with a person not wanting a hi-cap magazine. I have a problem when the try and take away mine." But to what end? Nah, sometimes you let em go.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

It isn't about picking a fight, it's about informing the other party without coming on too strong. Take them to the range. Let them shoot one of your pistols and see how bad they do. Then start talking about adding low light and multiple moving targets into the mix.

Again, you can't win an emotional argument with facts. It was smart to hold you tongue. However, if the opportunity arises to start the education process, I would do it.
    Rock and Glock, Taurahe and dV8r like this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

It's just like when the 500th turd decides to tell me about his brother-in-law's cousin twice removed had a friend who wrecked his motorcycle and now is a veg for life. I just look very interested, thank them for the profound insight, tell them I will really consider what they have said, and then I fire the Harley up and ride anyway. :-)
    "If you only knew the power of the dark side!" - Darth Vader

Don't talk about guns, just start mentioning ALL the crime in the area.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If it happens they ever have that unspeakable event of a home invasion. I'd still be the first one out there to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    You were smart. She was baiting you. You couldn't win. Save it for later. Good job, Sir.
    Saying that she was baiting him and that he couldn't win kind of implies that there are no good reasons for having high capacity magazines and that we don't have valid arguments. He could have definitely won that conversation. The key to winning it is to show them the reasons why you DO need them. Should we not try to inform and win over people any time we get the chance? As for saving it for later, when is the right time? We are already against the wall.

Can you really see yourself arguing with somebody that takes home defense advice from Joe Biden?

Quote Originally Posted by TxCommish View Post
    It's just like when the 500th turd decides to tell me about his brother-in-law's cousin twice removed had a friend who wrecked his motorcycle and now is a veg for life. I just look very interested, thank them for the profound insight, tell them I will really consider what they have said, and then I fire the Harley up and ride anyway. :-)
    I laugh about that. I have had a few friends who over the years have tried to sell me their bikes (one was a Harley, two where Goldwings) As a former truck driver I have ALWAYS looked out for bikers. not because they are generally better or worse drivers, but because they are more vulnerable. But i have told my friends... If i didn't learn to ride at 15 why would i want to start at 60+ . Personal choice, that's freedom... I would never tell anyone to ban motorcylces, just because it doesn't suit me ! wish the Libtards would make that same commitment.

I agree with most of the responses. No need to pick a fight with someone who, in my opinion was baiting him. Not to say that he wouldn't have won, but I will say that I'm almost certain she would not have listened anyway.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    Next door neighbor was over. Somehow i need to not bring up guns or magazines (My Bad). she knows i have a weapon in the house and it doesn't bother her. She more or less stated that she did not see why anyone should need a high capacity magazine. And that all you need for home defense is a shotgun anyway. I can tell my wife was eying me up to see what my reply was (I thought about it, but just listened quietly). They are really great couple and great neighbors. I'll be the bigger person and pick my fights elsewhere (Wife really likes her too, hard to find friends your age when your 60+) in a new area.
    I would ask her if she understands how the country she lives in was formed - and what does the 4th of July mean to her.

Ask her - if she is even slightly religious - what her thoughts would be if they took away her "religion" and if she is "very religious" ask her what her thoughts would be if the government told her the only Bible she could have was a King James Version.

Ask her what her thoughts would be if the government said you could only read the NY Times - all other magazines off limit.

Or ask her what she would think if she was limited on when she could freely talk - in other words she does not have the right of freedom of speech.

In dealing with such people you have to break down their foundation. How you do that - kind of like skinning a cat ... lots of ways.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    NRA Life Member

If you died today are you prepared for where you will end up tomorrow?

Thank you to all of those who have served this country - you have my respect!!!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Don't talk about guns, just start mentioning ALL the crime in the area.
    A GOLD STAR for this idea!
    msgt/ret and Kennydale like this.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    It's OK to state your position as long as you do so (depending on the situation) gently and tactfully. A sign at a desk in a call center where I use to work says:

"Tomorrow someone may not remember anything you said today, but they will never forget how you made them feel".
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links