Property v. human rights redux

This is a discussion on Property v. human rights redux within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A business may not enact a prohibition against any person based on that person being part of a group that has legal civil rights status. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Property v. human rights redux

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

A business may not enact a prohibition against any person based on that person being part of a group that has legal civil rights status. For example, race, religion, national origin or sex.

For example, a business cannot post signs that say:

"NO BLACKS"
    "NO MUSLIMS"
    "NO IRAQIS"
    "NO FEMALES"

So here's my question. Doesn't being a citizen qualify as a group? Isn't "keep and bear arms/self defense" a civil right? Can we find a legislator who is willing to codify our "baseline" civil rights, enumerated in the Bill of Rights, into a Federal anti-discrimination bill?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

The owner of private property, regardless if it is a business or not, has the right to allow or disallow a citizen from carrying a firearm onto their property.

The Second Amendment doesn't give you the right to violate their property rights.

If I don't want anyone coming in my house armed, that is my right. The Second Amendment doesn't give you any protection regarding private parties, it is only a prohibition against government. A private party cannot violate your Second Amendment right.

If you don't like a particular private party's or business's lawful prohibition of firearms on their private property, go or shop somewhere else. They have just as much right to prohibit firearms on their property as you do to spend your money at another establishment.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    The owner of private property, regardless if it is a business or not, has the right to allow or disallow a citizen from carrying a firearm onto their property.

The Second Amendment doesn't give you the right to violate their property rights.

If I don't want anyone coming in my house armed, that is my right. The Second Amendment doesn't give you any protection regarding private parties, it is only a prohibition against government. A private party cannot violate your Second Amendment right.

If you don't like a particular private party's or business's lawful prohibition of firearms on their private property, go or shop somewhere else. They have just as much right to prohibit firearms on their property as you do to spend your money at another establishment.
    I agree 100%. You can lodge a protest against a company's policies, or boycott them, if that makes you feel better, but the bottom line is prohibiting firearms on private property is NOT discrimination or a civil rights violation.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

AMEN!
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

The best solution to this dilemma is what some states have done: if a posted no carry business asks you to leave the premises while carrying and you refuse to do so, then it's a crime.

Yea its not a problem until All the businesses start to regard your civil rights as dangerous. Then its too late. Also your vehicle should be "your" private property but some offending business don't respect that do they? Not much reciprocation from the benevolent Business gods is there. They are starting to be able to fire you for anything you do (they don't like) outside of the normal property and workday.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

I would also contend that private property owners should have the right to disallow Blacks, Iraqis, Females or Muslims on their property too.

The problem isn't that anti-discrimination laws should also protect us who CCW, the problem is that no matter how well intentioned, anti-discrimination laws are anti-freedom.

Equal rights. Which is "more" equal? Neither, of course. None trumps the other. They coexist. As it should be. The USA was founded, primarily, on the right of the people to govern themselves. Property rights, self defense rights, arms ownership rights, the right to speak/write/assemble freely ... all are crucial to who the people of the USA are. Someone wants to claim rights on my property, in my home, on my time or on my nickel? That person needs to rethink his premises. That's as it should be.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    A business may not enact a prohibition against any person based on that person being part of a group that has legal civil rights status. For example, race, religion, national origin or sex.

For example, a business cannot post signs that say:

"NO BLACKS"
    "NO MUSLIMS"
    "NO IRAQIS"
    "NO FEMALES"

So here's my question. Doesn't being a citizen qualify as a group? Isn't "keep and bear arms/self defense" a civil right? Can we find a legislator who is willing to codify our "baseline" civil rights, enumerated in the Bill of Rights, into a Federal anti-discrimination bill?
    You will have to clarify for me what defines a group as having a "legal civil rights status."

As for being a "citizen" qualifying as a group, the answer is NO, it does not qualify as a group under the law. Why? Because our laws pertain equally to citizens and non-citizens alike when it comes to things like civil rights. A foreigner has as much protection under the law as a citizen.

While the 1st Amendment is well known, as a business owner, I don't have to allow you the right to exercise your 1st Amendment rights on my property.

So, a business may have to let a Muslim enter the business for business purposes, but it does not have to allow the Muslim to practice religious services in the business.

Similarly, businnesses are not discriminating against people with CCW/CHLs. They are discrimminating against the object itself, the firearm. You are still welcome in the business, but your firearm is not. They don't have to allow the firearm in their business and by proxy, don't have to allow you in their business if you are carrying a firearm, but that isn't discrimination against you.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Wow, there are a lot of strong opinions here, and surprisingly, most people on a pro-CCW forum are against the imposition of CCW on private property.

I believe very strongly in private property.

I believe that my right to self defense (life) trumps any other rights.

I believe that a corporation, when formed so that it can be a "person", should have greater responsibility to other "persons" rights that a non-corporation.

I believe that a private property that is open to the public should have more restriction on their property rights than one not open to the public.

But I can see that I am in the minority here, and I respect that. While there have been times throughout our nation's history when the minority was judged RIGHT by the SCOTUS, perhaps this is not one of those issues, or the time is not right.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

This may sound bad, wrong, or just assinine but here are my thoughts:

I figure that my body, and anything upon my body, to be private property.

So, therefore, even though I am on private property, the firearm and anything else upon my body is on private property.

So therefore, I don't consider my having a firearm on their private property as disobeying thier signs due to the fact that my private property (firearm) is upon my private property (my body) which just happens to be on their private property.

I know that many here will think that I'm disrespecting the other persons private property but I am not, for the firearm is technically on my private property so therefore it is removed twice from their private property.

Hey, it's just my way of thinking. Some may disagree with me, but that is just the way I think about the subject.

Plus, it's concealed, what others don't know won't hurt them or cause them to freak out.

Wayne

I'm a big fan of the Nevada law....

There's no such thing as a private business "banning" concealed firearms. If they catch you they can ask you to leave, and you must or else be charged with trespassing, but you can't face any criminal charges for it.
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

So therefore, I don't consider my having a firearm on their private property as disobeying thier signs due to the fact that my private property (firearm) is upon my private property (my body) which just happens to be on their private property.

I know that many here will think that I'm disrespecting the other persons private property but I am not, for the firearm is technically on my private property so therefore it is removed twice from their private property.
    No, we don't think you would be disrespecting our property. We think you would be violating another person's rights and technically, you would be breaking the law, technically, regardless of what you consider to be private property.

By your logic, you should be able to carry on planes, but that isn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge View Post
    I would also contend that private property owners should have the right to disallow Blacks, Iraqis, Females or Muslims on their property too.

The problem isn't that anti-discrimination laws should also protect us who CCW, the problem is that no matter how well intentioned, anti-discrimination laws are anti-freedom.
    Well said.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    By your logic, you should be able to carry on planes, but that isn't the case.
    Absolutely we SHOULD be able to carry anywhere the general public, or paying customers are welcome. Unfortunately that is not the case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links