Dispelling the 90% myth

This is a discussion on Dispelling the 90% myth within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is quite easy. First, depending on how the poll question is framed, you can easily get 90% if you want. For example, if you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Dispelling the 90% myth

Dispelling the 90% myth

This is quite easy. First, depending on how the poll question is framed, you can easily get 90% if you want. For example, if you ask, would you support universal background checks if it would prevent criminals from obtaining firearms? You get 90% with ease. Second, despite the 90% the media and gun control advocates (redundant, I know) used over and over, the long and short is.......more gun control laws is not a pressing issue for most Americans. Most recently proven in the following Gallup Poll via CNS News:

Gallup: Only 4% of Americans Think Gun Control is an Important Problem | CNS News

Doing simple math: 90% of 100 people is 90. 4% of 90 people is 3.6 people. 3.6 out of 100 people wanted universal background checks and it was an important issue to them. Considering that political affiliation was not listed, it's pretty safe to assume the 3.6 out of 100 are liberals who won't either change the vote from Democrat anyways. Shhh, nobody tell Scarborough or Morgan.
    tony1990, Spirit51 and sensei2 like this.

2. Remove Ads

If the gun-grabbers would simply have identified their polls, the polling group used, the polling methods and the questions to support their ridiculous claims, they'd have firmer ground to stand on. But simply by trotting out "percent" figures for outlandish claims, particularly while there's such an uproar over the unconstitutionality of what they're attempting, gets them nowhere.

Try to blow liberty a new one in back rooms, and you'll get far. God help you when the People find out, though.

Try to lie to the People, and you'll be known for what you are.

Try to not protect, not uphold and not defend the Constitution in direct violation of your sworn oath to do so, and you'll be held accountable ... that is, once we get judges with a spine, a Senate with backbone, and an attorney general with one iota of legal integrity.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Possibly. More pro gun people contacted them than antis. Regardless of false poll stats. They are not stupid. They wan t to be reellected.

The poll is by a respected group, and seems to be fair with clear questions. It was published. I found it with google in about 30 seconds.

National (US) Poll - April 4, 2013 - Background Checks Could Lead T | Quinnipiac University Connecticut

The problem is it is an opinion poll. Opinion polls are not facts. They are beliefs, frequently based on emotion. Timing can have an effect-like after a tragedy.
    After enough media influence, our population seems to believe that removing guns will remove violence. The fact that there is non biased research and years of history demonstrating violence and murder with out guns seems to be irrelevant.

I think its quite clear that many of the Senators got there own poll from their constituents in the last week and most found that there was not an overwhelming support for this bill as it stood and as it was written. Thats for sure. The system works irregardless of what the President wants to make us believe. I imagine there is a majority that found this bill to be far too much and far over reaching in reaction to the event. And so told their representatives. Obama will just have to deal with the truth for a while. His over reaching, pandering, fear tactics and exaggerating didn't work. Facts prevailed.

There's lies, dang lies, and statistics.

Figures don't lie, liars figure.

You can crunch the numbers to say whatever you want them to say. The bottom line is he's full of it and more people are waking up to it.
    shooterX and Spirit51 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougb View Post
    The poll is by a respected group, and seems to be fair with clear questions.
    I suppose it's fair and clear if you agree that all of those polled know what a supposed "assault weapon" is...

And if you ALREADY agree that a so-called "high-capacity magazine" is a mag over ten rounds...

Sure. Not biased at all...
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

"While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by Dougb View Post
    The poll is by a respected group, and seems to be fair with clear questions. It was published. I found it with google in about 30 seconds.

National (US) Poll - April 4, 2013 - Background Checks Could Lead T | Quinnipiac University Connecticut

"From March 26 - April 1, Quinnipiac University surveyed 1,711 registered voters"

There are 300 million of us (approximately) how is a poll of 1700 supposed to be in anyways accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    "From March 26 - April 1, Quinnipiac University surveyed 1,711 registered voters"

There are 300 million of us (approximately) how is a poll of 1700 supposed to be in anyways accurate?
    Not arguing, but Obummer keeps quoting the 40% of guns sold have not had a background check. That number comes from a "study" of about 200 people from what I recall. How does that represent 300+ million people?

People like him will take a thread of truth & weave a blanket out of it to cover the truth.
    shooterX and sensei2 like this.
    Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    I think its quite clear that many of the Senators got there own poll from their constituents in the last week and most found that there was not an overwhelming support for this bill as it stood and as it was written. Thats for sure. The system works irregardless of what the President wants to make us believe.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say "the system works..."

It's the sytem we have, and we have to deal with it. But the system does not always work. In fact, it has failed miserably in many cases. A big part of that reason is "the system," has been corrupted to such an extent that it barely functions at all.

The bottom line is that "our fight," will never be over. Those bent in destroying very tenants in which this nation was founded will never rest. Never stop. They are absolutely, friggon relentless in their quest to seize guns from everyone except the chosen few who they decide will get to keep them.

Things got pretty close this time. Gun owners and gun supporters expended a lot of capital trying to beat this one back. They (we) turned out in droves to attend public rallies, spend money, and generally had an all out phone, fax and email campaign which made our position known in a way that hasn't happened in a long time. And we were able to beat it back this time. But the gun grabbers, and the killers of liberty will be back. And the media will by carrying the torches. I just hope the force of gun supporters which turned out this time don't tire of continuing with that "extra effort" we saw out of everyone this time.

I can pretty much guarantee that before Obama's second term is over, they are going to go after guns again. Maybe several more times.

There were way too many people (including probably several of our members) who did not like or vote for Obama in this last election, but they still would not vote for Romney (for whatever reason they tell themselves). And this is the result. If people keep that attitude and the republicans lose control of the House next November (2014), and we will almost certainly lose most of our gun rights before Obama leaves office in 2016.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I can pretty much guarantee that before Obama's second term is over, they are going to go after guns again. Maybe several more times.
    THAT is the lesson. And it starts tomorrow, 4/18/13.
    BugDude likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    Help me out I can't find the number of people polled. What percent of the entire population of the US answered the poll and how do you extrapolate a very small poll to the total population?

I don't buy the number 90% on any subject. I do not believe you can get that percentage to agree on any one thing.

Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    Help me out I can't find the number of people polled. What percent of the entire population of the US answered the poll and how do you extrapolate a very small poll to the total population?

I don't buy the number 90% on any subject. I do not believe you can get that percentage to agree on any one thing.
    A statistical sample of something like 1500 or 2000 people (if my memory serves me correctly) will get you very good results for the whole US.

You can see additional information - actually a time period. That 4% was up around 6% in February and has subsequently declined down to 4%.

Few in U.S. See Guns, Immigration as Nation's Top Problems
    NRA Life Member

If you died today are you prepared for where you will end up tomorrow?

Thank you to all of those who have served this country - you have my respect!!!

Distinguished Member
    No one must have polled Florida because most are against any gun control. Heck many want no NICS at all. :)
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

VIP Member
    The uninformed public does not know anything about the laws that are on the books now! Only what they are told on TV! They think all legal guns are registered! They think you can go online order any gun with your credit card and it will be on your doorstep in a couple days. They don't know the difference between a clip and magazine but heard the term. They think a semi auto is a full automatic machine gun that you can get at Walmart. Thats the problem with polls. I think the American people ( in general) have a short attention span and are sick of hearing about Sandy Hook and UBC, magazine and weapons bans. They want the economy fixed, they want job growth, cheaper fuel and boarders closed!
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links