Reciprocity 58-42

Reciprocity 58-42

This is a discussion on Reciprocity 58-42 within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Gun background check compromise, assault weapon ban fail in Senate 58 to 42; a GOP-backed amendment that would have permitted “national reciprocity” of state-issued concealed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Reciprocity 58-42

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar

Reciprocity 58-42

Gun background check compromise, assault weapon ban fail in Senate
    58 to 42; a GOP-backed amendment that would have permitted “national reciprocity” of state-issued concealed carry permits,
    If nation wide reciprocity were to pass, and every state would be required to honor the license of every other state, how would that impact your carry in another state? For example, when you take your driver's license to another state, you may operate a motor vehicle, but you must drive IAW the motor vehicle laws of that state. You must obey their speed limits. Montana may have higher limits than your state, so you can go their speed. Rhode Island may have lower limits than your state, so you must go their speeds.

What about registration or emmission laws? CA has more strict emissions laws than my state, but I don't need to convert my car to enter CA. FL has different trailor registration laws than my state, but I don't need to get a FL trailor license. CO requires front and rear license plates, but I don't need to buy a second plate to enter CO.

To me, this means if you were to enter another state concealed, you need to stay concealed, but wouldn't need to take rounds out of your magazine. You may not be able to keep the gun in the glove box, but you wouldn't need to register the gun in that state. What other implications of details will anti-gunners use to road block what should be such a simple idea?

I had mixed emotions about this bill. For one I don't really want the Feds getting involved in how this process works. But I have to say I thought a vote of 58 - 42 was a wake up call to those other states that don't allow CCP's and I bet it scared the pants off of them. It caused Schumer to mess his britches I am sure. He was genuinely scared! He even started stammering about states rights at one point. I think it was the closest to passing of any of the amendments wasn't it?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    I had mixed emotions about this bill. For one I don't really want the Feds getting involved in how this process works. But I have to say I thought a vote of 58 - 42 was a wake up call to those other states that don't allow CCP's and I bet it scared the pants off of them. It caused Schumer to mess his britches I am sure. He was genuinely scared! He even started stammering about states rights at one point. I think it was the closest to passing of any of the amendments wasn't it?
    I agree. Maybe even stronger, than just "mixed emotions" -- but reject it on principle.

I'm not just a 10A'er when it suits my preferences on various issues.

As you pointed out "[Schumer] was genuinely scared! He even started stammering about states rights at one point." Funny, how many folk champion States' rights when it advances their agenda and turn around and dispute them when States' rights are championed against their agenda.
    Tzadik, jem102, NONAME762 and 1 others like this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    It is a moot point.
    The anti gun people don't try to block it....they simply add pork to it as is the case with any legislation; hence we have grid lock.
    None of the amendments should pass. Some look deceptively ok on their face but further examination will show follow on wording is dangerous to the 2A.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Bloomberg wants his 12M back............those commercials sucked.

How's Cuomo lookin' now New York.....?
    BugDude and DaveH like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post

drop in the bucket for that rich clown. probably got to write it off his taxes and it saved him some money.
    Betty, jem102 and Poseidon like this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    Back to the topic, I don't think about it since it did not pass.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

On the other hand they acted some what like middle school kids...... The basically democratic bill was defeated first and then the middle schoolers defeated amendments proposed by republicans.....
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I'm torn between agreeing that it's a states right and supporting a bill that would essentially restore your right to bear arms in a state that decided to take away that ability. I think there's a valid argument either way. My fear is that what may start as a pro-gun bill will get amended at some point to add restrictions that apply to every state. With that in mind, I think would be better if the citizens of each state fight to improve their concealed carry laws.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

VIP Member
    With less than 67 votes in favor of it, it does not matter.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

We are lucky the senate rule is 60 votes to prevail........ Keep in mind we lost on a majority vote....... We still have lots of homework to do folks............
    jem102 and DaveH like this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post

You'd think a fat cat like Bloombooger woulda' heard of Buyer Beware long before now... Cry us a river BloomBooger you morfrodite trogledite butthead. Bloombooger wants his Mammy!!
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Here's one anti-gun roadblock: if we have nation wide reciprocity, we need a national gun ID. Really? Just for guns? Not driving?

One more: some states take a"crazy" look at liberty and treat their residents like adults. AZ and AK let you carry simply because their Constitution recognizes the right to self defense. i thing AZ will issue an ID if you ask. So anti-gun states might say they won't let you carry because your state doesn't issue ID's (VT). Every state must let you vote if you are a resident, but not bear arms? They fight voter ID, but push a national gun ID?

The entire national ID is a false argument. This is too easy.

For the sake of what-ifs, I would think it would work much like States that reciprocate now. I have a Florida CHL and when I drive through Georgia, SC, NC, and into VA all of those states recognize my FL CHL but I have to abide by the laws of each individual state when I am there. I would not see this as being any different if it had passed or does pass at some point in the future.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I'm actually glad it didn't pass as I'm sure there would be a Federal data base involved.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links