Why is the NRA blamed?

Why is the NRA blamed?

This is a discussion on Why is the NRA blamed? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Politicians want to blame the NRA for the failures on gun issues. OK...why? Why is the NRA so influential on Senators and Representatives? Is it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Why is the NRA blamed?

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

Why is the NRA blamed?

Politicians want to blame the NRA for the failures on gun issues. OK...why? Why is the NRA so influential on Senators and Representatives? Is it the money they donate to the causes of politicians with regards to gun rights/re-election campaigns? Let's assume it is. Let's assume the NRA promises to back politicians with funds for campaigns if they vote the way they want.

A few stats (as accurate as I have found):

NRA average annual revenue is around $205 million. In the 2008 Presidential campaign, they spent $10 million. National Rifle Association (NRA) Statistics | Statistic Brain

Mayor Michael Bloomberg's net worth, according to Forbes, is about $27 Billion. Michael Bloomberg - Forbes

George Soros' net worth, also according to Forbes, is about $19.2 Billion George Soros - Forbes

These two guys alone are worth an estimated $46.2 Billion, compared to the NRA revenue of $200 Million. Interestingly enough, they are two guys that are in 100% support of Democratic agendas (from what I've read). These guys could offer a lot more to a voting Senator or Representative than the NRA could....if it was only about money.

Maybe it's the 4.3 million members the NRA has and countless other gun-rights supporters that carry more weight than any amount of money they can throw at a politician.

OD*
    The NRA defies most elitists, makes them an easy scapegoat.

The last thing you want to do is mess with a politician's ego, Obummer proved that yesterday.
    mg27 likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Already running: NRA doesn't mean...

Okay, I'm just kidding
    TX expat and heatherr855 like this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    The NRA defies most elitists, makes them an easy scapegoat.

The last thing you want to do is mess with a politician's ego, Obummer proved that yesterday.
    A very good point. That may very well be why those two clowns I mentioned don't put their money with their mouth is on a national level regarding gun rights...their egos would be slaughtered.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    What the politcal class and elitests call blame, I call "giving credit to".
    OD*, TX expat and msgt/ret like this.

Why? The NRA's the one "out there," the visible target. They largely represent their membership's views on things. On the topic, they're the 800-pound gorilla in the room, though SAF and GOA are getting fairly influential too.

What the liberty-haters fail to acknowledge publicly (though, I fully suspect they understand this very well) is that IT'S THE PEOPLE who have these opinions. It's not merely some fringe, rogue, irrelevant "lobby" group that has nothing to do with the People's views on oaths, constitutionality, liberty, civil rights, defense and all the rest.

But it's tough to crap on 80M+ adults when they're not all poking their heads out (to be smacked). It's far simpler to go gunnin' for the visible "threat." And that happens to be the NRA.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The NRA is to blame for what? I am the one that wrote my reps, I am the one that called them. The NRA is being blamed as part of the liberal medias bias towards freedom and corps. that represent freedom. The people along with the NRA won this battle, not the NRA by itself.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    The NRA was up next on their 'blame checklist' rotation.

1. Blame Bush
    2. Blame racism
    3. Blame Bush
    4. Blame evil, money making corporations.
    5. Blame Bush
    6. Blame the NRA
    RickyD, OD*, mprp and 5 others like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    They have to blame someone, you don't expect them to admit that their bills were idiotic?
    OD*, BugDude and thephanatik like this.

Distinguished Member
    Obozo and his supporters don't ever admit fault or failure of the exalted one. It has to be someone else's fault; simply stating that a majority of the US population doesn't agree with him doesn't compute in their world - it can't happen, so they need someone to blame.

The NRA is a singular term for a group and thus it can be demonized.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    They have to blame someone, you don't expect them to admit that their bills were idiotic?
    Yes, I think they should. No, I don't believe they'd ever "stoop" to that, believers that they are.

I'd settle for them agreeing the spearing of upstanding citizens in the hope that it'll snag a few criminals gets admitted. IF they can do that, they might have a chance at crafting a "crime" bill that has any hope of preventing/deterring crime. Until they recognize that core failing of their approach, they'll never make a serious impact on crime.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I just see it as doing their math. With all of the recent poo-flinging at corporations lately by simply being successful in the Capitalist realm, they probably would like to get the impression out there that this is a powerful, heavy-handed corporation that does nothing more than sit around and try to think of ways to kill our children. It looks much better for the vote than if they were to imply that the view is actually backed and endorsed by millions of people in the country who have some sense of patriotism and common sense.
    deadguy likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    The NRA was up next on their 'blame checklist' rotation.

1. Blame Bush
    2. Blame racism
    3. Blame Bush
    4. Blame evil, money making corporations.
    5. Blame Bush
    6. Blame the NRA
    I've always love this one, #4, it's as though these morons don't realize where their paychecks originate.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I've always love this one, #4, it's as though these morons don't realize where their paychecks originate.
    Yes, it always causes me to chuckle as well. Ohhh, bad capitalist! Bad, bad, money making company. Yet they owe their very existence to it.
    OD* likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I'm tempted to research the net worth of some of the most outspoken democratic supporters, and the sources of their income. I'm certain to find some hypocrisy somewhere in that list.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links