Hole in Obama's Logic

This is a discussion on Hole in Obama's Logic within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Earlier this evening I watched the speech that Pres. Obama made yesterday when his precious gun-control amendments failed to be added to SB 649. Everyone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Hole in Obama's Logic

Hole in Obama's Logic

Earlier this evening I watched the speech that Pres. Obama made yesterday when his precious gun-control amendments failed to be added to SB 649. Everyone was right, it was kind of a pathetic hissy fit.

But I just realized a hole in his logic. In his speech, Obama made the claim that 90% of Americans (even a vast majority of NRA members) want stricter gun control. Don't even get me started on that pile of bull. But let's assume for a minute that Obama is correct and 90% of Americans and the majority of NRA members WANT more gun control.

Also in his speech, Obama claimed that the Senators that voted against the gun-control measures (or for the pro-gun measures) did so because they were worried about their next election - that they only voted the way they did because they're too worried that their constituents will vote them out of office - instead of focusing on doing what's "right" (don't even get me started on the hypocrisy of this statement).

So let's think about this for a minute. 90 PERCENT OF AMERICANS WANT stricter gun control laws, but half of the senators in our congress are worried that they will be voted out of office by their constituents if they vote FOR gun control? It seems to me that if 90 PERCENT of Americans wanted stricter gun control, the Senators (who are supposedly voting out of fear of losing office) would vote for stricter gun control, not the other way around. I'd go as far as to say that these Senators must REALLY want to do what's right if they're voting opposite of the way their constituents feel in order to uphold the Constitution.

But maybe there's more elaborate math involved that Obama knows about that I don't that makes this all somehow make sense.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

2. Remove Ads

Wait . . .

Just one hole in his logic? You weren't looking hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    Wait . . .

Just one hole in his logic? You weren't looking hard enough.
    Haha, hey now, I only said it was "a" hole, not the only one!

Not that I'm calling anyone an "a" hole or anything...
    Alex_C, ANGLICO and sdprof like this.

His logic has more holes than swiss cheese.

And he gets his numbers using Obamamath, coming soon to a school near you...

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/images/pol...s04042013.pdf/

There is a poll and it shows 90% favor UBC. It is by a respected Connecticut University and was probably accurate on the day it was taken and with the target group it polled. It may have been biased from two weeks of dead kids on TV, followed by weeks of vilifying guns and gun owners by politicians and media types. It apparently wasn't accurate on the day of the vote, the only poll that matters. Notice though that most amendments had over half the votes. Not good.

VIP Member
    I feared opening this thread because if I opened it up to reveal the black hole that is the 'hole in his logic' I'd be forever lost...

bhvincent1.jpg

It's a monster all right.

A rip in the very fabric of space and time.
    OD* likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by Dougb View Post
    http://www.quinnipiac.edu/images/pol...s04042013.pdf/

There is a poll and it shows 90% favor UBC. It is by a respected Connecticut University and was probably accurate on the day it was taken and with the target group it polled. It may have been biased from two weeks of dead kids on TV, followed by weeks of vilifying guns and gun owners by politicians and media types. It apparently wasn't accurate on the day of the vote, the only poll that matters. Notice though that most amendments had over half the votes. Not good.
    And how many people were polled, and where do those pollees live? 90% of 1000 people from CT is a lot different than 90% of a couple hundred million from across the entire country. And if I remember correctly, the Democratic Senators from CT voted in favor of gun-control and against pro-gun amendments. In which case they did their job and listened to their constituents 90% of whom apparently want more gun control.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    I think "a-hole" pretty much sums it up.

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    And how many people were polled, and where do those pollees live? 90% of 1000 people from CT is a lot different than 90% of a couple hundred million from across the entire country. And if I remember correctly, the Democratic Senators from CT voted in favor of gun-control and against pro-gun amendments. In which case they did their job and listened to their constituents 90% of whom apparently want more gun control.
    The other issue is that the people somehow believe that no background checks are conducted at gun shows, and they were in favor of having background checks there. Well, purchasing from a dealer at a gun show or not requires a background check. Many people don't realize this, so of course they say there should be background checks at gun shows.

It's that new math. The 90% rule. 90% want it, 90% of Democrats voted for it and 90% of Republicans voted against it, yet a minority of the representatives voted it down. I'm still trying to figure out what the 10% of the Ds and Rs supposedly did in his scenario.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Administrator
    Actually I think that is about 4% of Americans polled place a high priority on stricter gun control laws.
    He pretty much got his percentages back aswards.
    NONAME762, OD* and Mardet65 like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    The other issue is that the people somehow believe that no background checks are conducted at gun shows, and they were in favor of having background checks there. Well, purchasing from a dealer at a gun show or not requires a background check. Many people don't realize this, so of course they say there should be background checks at gun shows.
    Yes. The media has been doing their part. They keep pitching this as a bill that will now regulate internet sales and those magical zones called gun shows where we're all to believe that the law doesn't apply. The reality is that even the American Criminal Liberties Union had problems with this bill which is saying a lot. When the ACLU opposes a gun control bill, it's got to be bad!

If only Obama were as concerned about what the people's opinion was on health care, illegal immigration, gay marriage, Benghazi, and a whole host of other issues as he is about these cooked-up opinions on gun control. He only seems to be concerned about the American public's opinion when it coincides with his quest to destroy liberty.
    pittypat21 likes this.

That is a great observation. Not that I think anyone here needs to hear this, but there is no logic, stats, or legal position in support of our Dear Leader's thirst for gun control.

It is an agenda.
    Laws do not stop criminals, bullets do.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    You are right of course, but what you are missing is that he wasn't talking to you. He can't change your perception, the extreme liberals don't need changing (in his calculus), so that means he's addressing those in the middle; the undecided, ignorant, lazy, or just plain stupid.

logical thinking and obama cannot be use together, he only believes in emotional thinking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links