Contacting your reps and senators works

This is a discussion on Contacting your reps and senators works within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I thought this tidbit from the WSJ regarding Sen. Begich (D) of Alaska was of interest (he voted against the bill): Guns are woven into ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By PEF
  • 2 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By mkh

Thread: Contacting your reps and senators works

VIP Member

I thought this tidbit from the WSJ regarding Sen. Begich (D) of Alaska was of interest (he voted against the bill):

Guns are woven into the culture of Alaska, a vast, rural state. When Mr. Begich was in Alaska during a recent, two-week congressional recess, he was confronted in the airport and at virtually every event by constituents urging him to oppose the background-check legislation, according to aides.

This is the same Sen. Begich that stated there was a "sea change" in gun politics just after the Newtown shooting.

I think all of us that contacted our peeps in DC can claim a small sliver of victory. But the Alaskans on the forum that reached out to Begich should each claim a plank.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Let's all remember to send a note of thanks to our legislators who voted to preserve our rights. We're sure quick to let them know when they let us down, but everyone likes a little bit of praise every once in a while.
    BugDude and JDE101 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Let's all remember to send a note of thanks to our legislators who voted to preserve our rights. We're sure quick to let them know when they let us down, but everyone likes a little bit of praise every once in a while.
    Amen brother!!! I just found out I'll be attending a local constituent's dinner the end of this month with Marco Rubio and I will absolutely shake his hand and thank him in person for his leadership in protecting our Second Amendment rights!!!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I agree with you. We should thank our reps when they do a good job of representing us. Unfortunately I can't write a thank note to my Senator, as mine is Manchin, who was the main writer of the Background Check bill.

Don't forget John D. Rockefeller who voted to ban "assault rifles" and high capacity magazines. He can't be gone soon enough...

I actually just posted a thread about this:

Thank You to My Senators - You Should Do It, Too

We should most definitely all thank our Senators (the ones that are deserving, that is). Especially those of you with Democratic Senators that still voted in our favor.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Tzed250 View Post
    Don't forget John D. Rockefeller who voted to ban "assault rifles" and high capacity magazines. He can't be gone soon enough...
    Yeah, him too. At least he'll be retiring after his current term so maybe we'll be able to get someone in office who will actually represent his constituents rather than his own agenda.

Reminder for us all

Contacting our hired representatives can work. And it can work both ways. We should keep that in mind, irrespective of the issue/vote involved, as there are tens of millions of sheeple who believe the gun is the devil incarnate and the senators who stood up for constitutional limitations on the reach of a governing few doesn't trump our constitution's prohibitions

So can letters to the editor in local/regional newspapers, which can be read by tens of thousands of people (if not more). In my area, for example, this morning's newspaper contained 17 different op/ed pieces, letters to the editor and political cartoons in the OpEd/Letters section. Of those 17 pieces, 15 were anti-gun, anti-rep and highly-charged against the failure to pass "common-sense, reasonable" legislation.

So can continuing to be a solid, responsible, upstanding example in our communities, by carrying consistently and responsibly, by helping to train and introduce others on the joys and responsibilities of shooting and of providing for your own defense, by helping others to see that the knee-jerk, fearful, emotion-based reactions to "guns" doesn't square with having actual protection of our families, actual protection of our children at school, actual procedures/guards in place in public spaces.

We can make a difference, so long as every opportunity we can take advantage of is leveraged to help instead of hinder. But we must never lose sight of the fact that those who are swayed by the emotional side of it all have those same points of leverage as well, if only they get off their duffs and exercise those opportunities. And in their tens of millions, they can be just as effective as us on this issue.
    MoreAmmo likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    So can continuing to be a solid, responsible, upstanding example in our communities, by carrying consistently and responsibly, by helping to train and introduce others on the joys and responsibilities of shooting and of providing for your own defense, by helping others to see that the knee-jerk, fearful, emotion-based reactions to "guns" doesn't square with having actual protection of our families, actual protection of our children at school, actual procedures/guards in place in public spaces.

We can make a difference, so long as every opportunity we can take advantage of is leveraged to help instead of hinder. But we must never lose sight of the fact that those who are swayed by the emotional side of it all have those same points of leverage as well, if only they get off their duffs and exercise those opportunities. And in their tens of millions, they can be just as effective as us on this issue.
    Agreed.
    As we saw in this last pitiful election. Takeover by the OWSers, Public Employee Unions, and the deadbeat class that leach off of the taxpayer.
    Charliehorse .........................>>> I support the NRA!

Gun Ownership is NOT a Gun Crime!

Too true. What people forget or ignore is that though some may be anti-gun, we pro-gun people even if outnumbered (we aren't) by the antis, we are much more vocal and active in our support for the Second Amendment.

Most antis dislike guns and feel that they should be banned or limited. But how many of them are willing to get off their butts and take action?

Not as many as us who ARE willing to defend our RIGHTS!
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

mkh
    Don't get too excited. Yes there were some Senators that listened to us and some would have voted agaisnt it anyway but...

The bill failed because most of them were protecting their jobs not because they had some altruistic idea of listening to the people.
    ccw9mm likes this.

I just wrote to Senator Portman yesterday and thanked him for voting to protect the Second Amendment, and I told him my wife and I voted for him in the past and will do so again in the future.

Unfortunately, Ohio's other senator is that libtard Brown, who just got reelected, and we are stuck with him for almost 6 more years.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    Don't get too excited. Yes there were some Senators that listened to us and some would have voted agaisnt it anyway but...

The bill failed because most of them were protecting their jobs not because they had some altruistic idea of listening to the people.
    If our reps are doing what we expect of them, even it's only to save their jobs, they are still representing us. It doesn't really matter to me why they are representing us as long as they are.

I have never emailed or wrote our Senators until now. These Amendment rights are important to our freedom in this country. I wrote in support of one of our Senators who voted NO and the other that voted YES about him mis-represting the people who elected him. I noticed in our local paper today that the GUN BAN liberals are attacking our Sen Baucus for his NO vote stating he was against stopping gun violence in the US. I am sure the failed bill wouldn't do anything to stop the tragedies of the past or future gun crimes.
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

Exclamation

Oh yes, the many Letters, FAX's, Phone calls and Emails have gained the attention of the "leaders". And I feel almost certain that if it weren't for the pending 2014 elections we likely wouldn’t have won this round.

But, we must remember that we still can't get too confident, keep a close eye on "them" and their agenda's and be ready to apply a bunch of pressure at any moment cause this fight clearly isn't over. Also keep a keen eye on your state lawmakers cause they still might have some slick ideas.

However, I did enjoy the stern faces presented by the two highest elected officials of this country. This image proves that contacting your reps and senators does have results:

Just Because You Are Paranoid
    Doesn't Mean They Aren't Out To Get You

Links