Getting inside the head of an anti

This is a discussion on Getting inside the head of an anti within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had a fascinating conversation with a friend of mine who is a very liberal attorney today. I asked him if the events that played ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Getting inside the head of an anti

VIP Member

I had a fascinating conversation with a friend of mine who is a very liberal attorney today. I asked him if the events that played out in Boston over the last 24 hours had made him reconsider his anti 2A position. He said that not only had it not changed his position, but rather confirmed it.

I simply couldn't get my head around that statement until I asked a bunch of follow up questions. His position boils down to one of reliance - when pushed directly, he embraced the idea of being reliant on other people to protect him and help him if he or his family is ever in need. The fact that he estimates police response time in his area at 3 to 5 minutes or more didn't phase him. He accepts that his fate is in others hands and wants no part of protecting his family.

Further and most importantly, he is afraid that BG's will take guns away from GG's and that is the reason he believes in gun control. He didn't care that I disagreed and when I pushed him on why his opinion should impinge my rights, he said because my position somehow endangers him.

Other than calling him a sheep and continually explaining that I don't believe the same thing, I believe it is not only my right, but my obligation to protect my family and that our founders agreed with me, how do you convince someone who sees the world so differently? Once someone has lost the desire to protect themselves or their family, they are lost.

This mentality completely blows my mind.
    TJDN, darbo, vilecanards and 2 others like this.

Personally, there's no way I could maintain a friendship with someone like that. More power to ya.
    WhoopsImPackin, OD*, TJDN and 2 others like this.

The liberal logic: the fewer guns Gary Gunowner has in his possession the fewer guns there are for Mr. BG to steal. If it just happens to trample on your rights so be it. Call if trickle down gunenomics
    Patti likes this.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

yard-sign.jpg

Show him this sign !

And there you have it. Fear. Fear of needing to protect oneself and family. Fear of not having someone else do it for you. Total fear and knowledge that you within yourself are not capable of protecting your self or family.

And the biggie as far as we are concerned. The fear that somehow one of us will be disarmed and that firearm used in the future to attack those who will not defend themselves. So of course since they cant protect themselves we should not be allowed to either.

I think that pretty much sums up a lot a citizens that are anti. Government knows better but uses the only tool it has for control. Fear.
    RickyD, 1MoreGoodGuy, OD* and 2 others like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Ask him if he's familiar with the Petit case in CT from 6 years ago. If not, Google it and see what the 2 perps did to defenseless people in a quiet, "safe" neighborhood.
    If that doesn't register, then ask if he read In Cold Blood, Truman Capote's book that launched his career.
    If that seems dated, then suggest he read Judgment Ridge, about the 2001 Dartmouth professor murders.

And if none of those register with him, ask why his fears should trump your Constitutional rights.
    ANGLICO, msgt/ret, MJB_17 and 2 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    I had a fascinating conversation with a friend of mine who is a very liberal attorney today. I asked him if the events that played out in Boston over the last 24 hours had made him reconsider his anti 2A position. He said that not only had it not changed his position, but rather confirmed it.

I simply couldn't get my head around that statement until I asked a bunch of follow up questions. His position boils down to one of reliance - when pushed directly, he embraced the idea of being reliant on other people to protect him and help him if he or his family is ever in need. The fact that he estimates police response time in his area at 3 to 5 minutes or more didn't phase him. He accepts that his fate is in others hands and wants no part of protecting his family.

Further and most importantly, he is afraid that BG's will take guns away from GG's and that is the reason he believes in gun control. He didn't care that I disagreed and when I pushed him on why his opinion should impinge my rights, he said because my position somehow endangers him.

Other than calling him a sheep and continually explaining that I don't believe the same thing, I believe it is not only my right, but my obligation to protect my family and that our founders agreed with me, how do you convince someone who sees the world so differently? Once someone has lost the desire to protect themselves or their family, they are lost.

This mentality completely blows my mind.
    I have a son-in-law who sounds an awful lot like your friend. He is a professor at Vanderbilt U in Nashville. When he visits us in Wisconsin our conversations always filter back to guns and gun control. He actually told me that he would do nothing to defend himself, or even worse, my daughter. I was amazed to hear a grown man talk like that. When I heard that, I just had to bite my tongue and just shut up. I excused myself and left the room. Funny thing is, he has NEVER been with me that I wasn't armed...not even when I visit them in Nashville. I do take comfort in that little secret.
    RickyD, OD* and Patti like this.

Calm discussion and asking questions are good ideas - it sounds like you did this though. This guy may be a lost cause. Without even the most basic common basis, like the responsibility to protect family, there is not much to build on for a reasonable discussion.

I believe that 'liberal logic' is an oxymoron. In general, they will be driven by how they 'feel' and their 'experiences', not by 'logic' and 'facts'. Attorneys may be worse than the general public, inasmuch as they have been indoctrinated in the legal system where logical thinking for yourself is not valued, but rather memorizing case-law.
    RickyD likes this.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Just because your attorney is well educated does not mean that he has common sense or he can pour a body fluid out of a boot without help. I knew several devout atheist while in combat and both asked for God's help when our position was overrun by sappers. I do believe your attorney would be singing a different song if he were ever a victim of an armed attack........my attorney is a whimp but he carries a S&W M&P 40......
    msgt/ret and Pistology like this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I can get my head around a lot of the ways that the antis think.... but not this one. Self defense to me is a no brainer and is exactly what it says.... SELF defense. I guess is someone won't do it fo themselves then they are ok with being a victim. Not me.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    And there you have it. Fear. Fear of needing to protect oneself and family. Fear of not having someone else do it for you. Total fear and knowledge that you within yourself are not capable of protecting your self or family.

And the biggie as far as we are concerned. The fear that somehow one of us will be disarmed and that firearm used in the future to attack those who will not defend themselves. So of course since they cant protect themselves we should not be allowed to either.

I think that pretty much sums up a lot a citizens that are anti. Government knows better but uses the only tool it has for control. Fear.
    Ghost, I think you have it - fear is what drives so many people.

I understand that not everyone is willing to step up and not everyone is comfortable around guns, but having no desire to protect your family? I just can't get it - how can you willingly be so useless and pathetic? I consider myself a fairly intelligent and well rounded person, but I cannot identify with this mentality at all.

And the part that really drives the wedge is their willingness to project their fear onto us. Our self-reliance and determination is as incomrehensible to them as their fear and reliance is to us. If or maybe when, a majority of the population develops this mentality, we are doomed. What is our society becoming?

Some time ago there was a reporter from the Detroit News, named Pete Waldmeir, he was quite anti gun, wrote many columns why people shouldn't have guns. Then one day his vehicle broke down on the John Lodge freeway. At that time the free way was not patrolled by any police because of cut backs. Later on it was taken over by the state police, but at the time it was largely unpatrolled by any law enforcement. People were being robbed, cars were being striped within minutes after being left at the side of the road.

On one day Pete 's car broke down on a exit ramp in the middle of route form his comfortable suburban home and his downtown job. He was beaten and relieved of all his possessions that had any value. Well he was not happy the police were late in showing, he couldn't get help ( pre cell phone days). Well his tune sure changed for a few weeks, he thought that every citizen should be able to carry, until a few of his writer friends straightened him out, then it just seem to fade away.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

I know several antis, and most are nice (but horribly misguided) folks.

They all have a lot of statistics that they love to push (all are bogus, of course), but they live in a world of emotion-over-logic. "Gun violence" and "semi-automatic" evoke Pavlovian responses in them.

The best comeback I have is to say that I want to keep legitimate gun ownership ... PRO CHOICE.
    msgt/ret, RickyD and vilecanards like this.
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    yard-sign.jpg

Show him this sign !
    LOL. As much as I like the sign, I think that it may get my guns stolen while I am not home.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

This past week, my daughter's boyfriend came by to ask for her hand in marriage. One of the things that impressed me most was the fact that he stated very plainly while displaying his pistol that he would protect our daughter. At dinner last night, our daughter was telling her mother that she had been with him to the shooting range...and that it was fun. It is a comforting thought to know that someone will protect your child.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links