Puzzled

Puzzled

This is a discussion on Puzzled within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's the story: North Carolina man arrested in NYC hotel gun incident | Fox News My question: WHO has the authority/jurisdiction to arrest a man ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Puzzled

Puzzled

Here's the story:

North Carolina man arrested in NYC hotel gun incident | Fox News

My question: WHO has the authority/jurisdiction to arrest a man in North Carolina, for violation of an unconstitutional New York law???
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Here's the story:

North Carolina man arrested in NYC hotel gun incident | Fox News

My question: WHO has the authority/jurisdiction to arrest a man in North Carolina, for violation of an unconstitutional New York law???
    Let's forget for a moment that the law, in your opinion, is unconstitutional... Hasn't yet been determined.

If someone committed a murder in NY, and fled to NC. Would he be arrested in NC? and extradited to NY? Answer? Yes. Same deal.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    It's called a warrant. Some warrants state the issuing jurisdiction will extradite, some warrants will not.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If he did not want to abide by NY law, he should stay out of NY. Why spend your money in a state that has laws that you do not support.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Did I miss something, Leaving your gun under a cushion in the hotel lobby?? What's wrong with this picture??

There's more to the story here that we don't know. How did they know it was this guys gun, from what I read, he had left it there and got back on his tour bus. Then some lady found it. There must be another reason why the NYPD is bringing this guy all the way from North Carolina on a simple gun possesion charge. They must want him for something else.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by BradL View Post
    There's more to the story here that we don't know. How did they know it was this guys gun, from what I read, he had left it there and got back on his tour bus. Then some lady found it. There must be another reason why the NYPD is bringing this guy all the way from North Carolina on a simple gun possesion charge. They must want him for something else.
    While we don't know....

You and your tour group are staying at a hotel... or you and your wife are staying at the hotel and decide to go on a tour that the hotel has mentioned and the tour bus stops at the hotels in town to pick up interested suckers.

You forgot you had your gun on you... and stash it under a pillow in the lobby... It ain't no flea bag... it has security cameras... some woman sits on the chair in which you have secreted you firearm... she turns it in... police look at video... clerk says "oh yeah, that's the guy in 314."

Now, I hate to point out the obvious and profile based on appearance all at once, but here goes... if the picture in the article is the man in question... Does he look to you to be the sharpest tool in the drawer? Or does he look like he might be a grown up banjo player from the movieDeliverance..? just sayin'.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    If anyone wants to leave a non-stolen firearm under my cushions, i'll send you my address!
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Ummm. . .Let's ponder on this. Just for the moment let's not set aside, but rather just place, the legal issue back one notch, behind the common sensical and responsibilty issue, of leaving a gun under a sofa cushion in the lobby of a hotel. A woman sat on it. Okay, bad enough. But what if the woman had a small child which had been plunked down there? We should all give up collective thanks that kind of scenario and whatever that could have led to never played out. Anti's are drooling for such things to fuel their agenda. I hope that whatever, if any, legal issues are thrashed out in the correct way. But not to include this bonehead escaping culpability and consequences of an absolutely atrocious act due to a legalistic loophole.

Whoa, time out!
    You guys are forgetting NY draconian gun law.
    If you don't have a NY permit...and you can't get one of those unless you're a NY resident and even then you gotta wait 6 months and jump through hoops....you can't have a gun in NY. No can do. Verboten. Period.

Far too many people have run afoul of this law, which is widely known, for me to believe it's just NY authorities being jerkwads.

I'm getting more convinced that there are just a bunch of stupid people who own guns. I'm not there just yet, but the evidence is mounting.

After all...WHO HERE DOESN'T KNOW that non NY residents cannot carry guns in NY? Hands? Anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Let's forget for a moment that the law, in your opinion, is unconstitutional... Hasn't yet been determined.

If someone committed a murder in NY, and fled to NC. Would he be arrested in NC? and extradited to NY? Answer? Yes. Same deal.
    Just one more excellent reason to stay the heck outta NYC!!
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

I would hope that ANY state would have a problem with a visitor who leaves a firearm unsecured in a public area where children could access it.

This isn't a case to slam NY, heck we can find plenty of other reasons to do that. This is a case of stupid receiving the necessary correction.
    ksholder and Arborigine like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I have an aquaintance who left his loaded gun in the bushes at the Statue of Liberty under very similar circunstances. He never made it out of the state. I would consider tmy aquaintance. pretty intelligent. He had a lifelong career, made good money and retired. He panicked when he saw the metal detectors and made a very stupid mistake following his mistake of not knowing the gun laws on NY before he left on the church bus trip.

Senior Moderator
    Ummm, it is a law and until it is determined unconstitutional by our court system it still is the law.

Leaving a gun under a cushion at a hotel is stupid and he does deserve the reckless endangerment charge.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    It is my belief that, if you leave your firearm anywhere, in public, unattended you should expect to get busted.
    I can't imagine that this would surprise anyone, even this guy, that is why he HID it.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links