Capitol Hill probing DHS ammo buys

This is a discussion on Capitol Hill probing DHS ammo buys within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; House Oversight subcommittees to look at DHS ammo purchases After months of shrinking ammunition supplies at gun shops, gun shows and even for many police ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Capitol Hill probing DHS ammo buys

Capitol Hill probing DHS ammo buys

House Oversight subcommittees to look at DHS ammo purchases

After months of shrinking ammunition supplies at gun shops, gun shows and even for many police and sheriff’s departments, two subcommittees of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform will hold a joint hearing this Thursday to probe huge ammunition purchases by the Department of Homeland Security.

House Oversight subcommittees to look at DHS ammo purchases - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

2. Remove Ads

Government will not tell on itself unless it can gain a power or financial edge.
    The easy way is always mined.

Don't they really have better things to do than chase down internet rumors?
    Various manufacturers have already released statements stating that all government purchases (not just DHS) amount to less than 5% of their sales. The problem isn't the government it is the gullible public that will believe without question what they read on the internet or hear on late night radio.
    srings, Sig 210, Tzadik and 2 others like this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've yet to see DHS run into my LGS and empty the shelves of ammo. Too many fools already standing in line for DHS to do that.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Hoarding? Not me. It is about impossible to hoard when you can only find 1 or 2 boxes a week.

Something funny is going on with Ammo,,,,, we should be seeing the selves beginning to
    fill back up,,,,, but we are not,,,,, why? maybe the government is behind it.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    There may be better things for them to be doing, but this makes more sense than the garbage the government is spending its time doing these days.
    bigmacque likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet1234 View Post
    Something funny is going on with Ammo,,,,, we should be seeing the selves beginning to
    fill back up,,,,, but we are not,,,,, why? maybe the government is behind it.
    Something funny indeed... You expect the shelves to start filling up now, since "they" lost?

They haven't "lost" anything... The bill was pulled... It can be re-introduced at any time.

What is happening to ammo is that our own fellow gun owners are buying more than they need, and "screwing" their "brothers in arms."

Add to that that we have idiots like Lautenberg (sp?) trying to ban black powder and smokeless... That will be next... If it hasn't already started disappearing. And DHS has NO need, or desire for reloading supplies.

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Gerry
    Ft Collins

'oakchas' you have hit a nail on the head.
    There are hoarders, and there are a bunch of people buying ammunition when they don't need it "just in case" and they empty shelves.
    Why? Probably because greed and stupidity are blood relatives.

I see people carting cases of ammunition out the doors of gun shops, sporting goods and and gun shows. Ask them why and they say, "don't you know there's a shortage?" Well, yeah dummy, and you're the reason!

However, there is "something" going on with ammo and I think Chaffetz and his colleagues will bring attention to the DHS purchase and that might just provide a partial solution. Ammo makers are cranking out a lot of rounds, they say, and that should translate to more supply.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWorkman View Post
    'oakchas' you have hit a nail on the head.
    There are hoarders, and there are a bunch of people buying ammunition when they don't need it "just in case" and they empty shelves.
    Why? Probably because greed and stupidity are blood relatives.

I see people carting cases of ammunition out the doors of gun shops, sporting goods and and gun shows. Ask them why and they say, "don't you know there's a shortage?" Well, yeah dummy, and you're the reason!

However, there is "something" going on with ammo and I think Chaffetz and his colleagues will bring attention to the DHS purchase and that might just provide a partial solution. Ammo makers are cranking out a lot of rounds, they say, and that should translate to more supply.
    Show me to them gun shops... I'd buy cases, too. Haven't you heard? There's a shortage! And, I've got as much human nature as the next guy. Greed, it's a terrible thing to waste!

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

I am sure the "OBAMA" administration will get to the bottom of this!!....(SARCASM)
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    I just can't buy the entire story concerning hoarding.

The ammo trickles in at the LGS's.
    It trickles in at the local Walmart, one of the largest purchasers of ammo.

Since Newtown, I have not seen or heard of any large suppliers say "I had 100 boxes come in today."

I'm certainly not trying to hoard. I'm happy to get a a box of 40's per week just to practice.

It is interesting to note there are no retail figures to support this "hoarding" yet we are supposed to
    believe the GAO's figures?
    By the way, retail sales of ammo (CAN) be tracked; yet I see no figures to support the claim of [consumer] hoarding.
    A administration that clearly lies, an anti-gun crowd that clearly lies...and I'm supposed to buy into the hoarding theory?
    I'm having a real problem with that. (IF) the gov was buying up large amounts of ammo; does anyone here believe they would tell us?

Also interesting everyone I talk to and even those on this forum are all complaining they can't get enough ammo.
    Well who the hell (IS) getting it then?

I am not convinced. Regardless of the reason, not much ammo out there yet.

Select committees investigating? Kinda' like the fox guarding the hen house isn't it?

I find it more plausible to believe ammo manufacturers are limiting the supply to increase the price; ammo will never return to pre-Newtown prices.
    I suppose one can believe Remington and Winchester are our friends and will do all they can to get us citizens ammo regardless of their P&L statements.
    bigmacque likes this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Don't they really have better things to do than chase down internet rumors?
    With ~600 reps in congress and countless staffers, it's simple enough to ask a few questions of a few folks in the know, to hopefully get the truth and to get it on record. Anything's possible, as is shown in the recent Missouri debacle with the privacy (Real ID) questions. IMO, it's better they perform their legitimate oversight role than perform other illegitimate roles.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Check this out, an org chart of a government agency with a Secretary that reports directly to the POTUS. An agency that has been in existence only ten years, and this chart was posted in 2004 -- can you imagine what it looks like by now?

dhs.jpg
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links