A letter from my Senator, Timm Scott.

This is a discussion on A letter from my Senator, Timm Scott. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sure its probably mostly a form letter but I do appreciate it anyway... thought I might share it with you. I am liking this guy ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By cphilip

Thread: A letter from my Senator, Timm Scott.

A letter from my Senator, Timm Scott.

Sure its probably mostly a form letter but I do appreciate it anyway... thought I might share it with you.

I am liking this guy so far.

Dear Mr. Carroll,

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns regarding S. 649, the Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act of 2013. I always appreciate your input and the opportunity to share with you some of my thoughts on this important issue.

As you may know, this legislation has been introduced by Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV). The bill expands the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) to include universal background checks on weapons purchases as well as restrictions on straw purchases and provides funding for school safety.

On April 12, I voted to block consideration of this bill. You may know that the motion to proceed passed by a vote of 68-31. Votes were held on April 17 and 18 on amendments to S. 649 including the assault weapons ban offered by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) and the amendment by Sen. Pat Toomey (R-PA) and Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) which would have extended the NICS to include sales at gun shows and online weapons sales. A total of nine amendments were voted on; seven of those amendments were defeated, including the assault weapons ban and the Toomey-Manchin amendment, both of which I opposed. The support for Second Amendment rights has effectively blocked this legislation for the time being.

Only two amendments received enough votes to pass. These were the privacy amendment offered by Sen. John Barrasso (R-WY) and the mental health amendment offered by Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA). Sen. Barrasso's amendment would withhold five percent of the Community Oriented Policing Services program funding from states and local governments that release sensitive and confidential information on law-abiding gun owners and victims of domestic violence. This amendment passed by a vote of 67-30.

Sen. Harkin's amendment included S. 689, the Mental Health Awareness and Improvement Act, which was passed on April 10 by the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee of which I am a member. Like you, I understand the importance of mental health services and your support for increased awareness of the diminished care and services provided to those with mental health issues. The fact that this amendment passed by a vote of 95-2 shows that there is wide support for solutions in this area.

Like you, I am an ardent supporter of an individual's right to possess and bear arms. This right is unequivocally protected by the Second Amendment and is a cornerstone of our democracy. As Americans, we have the right to defend ourselves, our families and our property, and the federal government should not interfere with this right.

You can be assured that I will always fight to uphold the rights that our nation was founded on and defend the constitutional right to bear arms.

Again, thank you for sharing your perspective with me; I hope that you will continue to do so in the future. If I can ever be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me or a member of my staff.

For more information, please visit my website at Senator Tim Scott and subscribe to my monthly e-newsletter. I also encourage you to follow me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/SenatorTimScott and Twitter: www.twitter.com/SenatorTimScott for daily updates.

Sincerely,

Tim Scott
    United States Senator

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for sharing...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

GH
    Good letter. I have the usual & customary 2 Senators. One is very pro-2A while the other is an avid anti-2A. I get the e mail from her giving the usual platitudes as to how we must save the children & I tell her that the "children" near my neighborhood are all armed & not afraid to boost their local drug dealer or an innocent's car & how much safer I think my family is because I'm also armed. As I wait for a reply to that one I can hear the crickets chirp. The Senate has spoken - she lost. This time.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Nice response.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    I like him.A while back,i sent him an email.He actually answered my question.He said exactly what he agreed with,or didn't.He is definitely a pro gun and 2a Senator.He told me,he never saw one gun bill that would have stopped,these senseless shootings.

Links