Liberal vs Conservative or is it Urban vs Rural?

This is a discussion on Liberal vs Conservative or is it Urban vs Rural? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The thought keeps crossing my mind that there is another, and perhaps ever more common thread that this divide on Guns keeps occurring. I don't ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Liberal vs Conservative or is it Urban vs Rural?

The thought keeps crossing my mind that there is another, and perhaps ever more common thread that this divide on Guns keeps occurring. I don't mean where they (or you) live now. But I mean how closely your tied in your upbringing to being more Rural in lifestyle. vs being more Urban. Maybe a generation or two back.

It seems to me that those who are less and less in tune with the land and the traditions of self reliance and who are of Urban backgrounds generation after generation seem to tend to be more anti gun ownership than those that see them as tools and in regular use. Or at least remember them as such and or have some connection to things like hunting, fishing and gardening etc. Those that grow further from the knowledge of how to survive tend to put less importance on being able to is sort of my theory here.

I say this because I have liberal friends that are real gun nuts. But they also come from families that hunted, Fished and Gardened and some still do. And I also have a few liberal minded beliefs myself. And I also find that is doesn't seem to be a race issue. I have a couple of African American, and Asian and a few Hispanic friends who hunt and shoot and they share my view as well. But they all garden, can their vegetables and come from somewhat agrarian sorts of roots not too far removed from them.

I think now that, more than anything, we are a nation divided not by race as is much claimed whenever we disagree but by our roots in the land and it is a Urban vs Rural split (not location but mindset and influence)

If this is so, then we are concentrating on the wrong fix. We must reintroduce things like hunting, fishing and gardening to the Urban schools and communities. We must refocus some of our education on teaching self reliance.

Just thinking out loud here this morning. Only had one cup of coffee...

You may have some very valid observations there. Those country folk are much more conservative and lean more toward independence and whatever it takes to maintain that independence. Usually that equates to being pro 2nd amendment and pro gun.

Liberal friends? I have to admit that my only true friends are conservative and independent. When someone's liberal views and voting helps destroy the fabric of America and my kid's and my grandkid's futures, I have to cross em off the list. That's after two cups of coffee.
    Last edited by commonground; April 25th, 2013 at 11:42 AM.
    "Do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.” - Gabe Suarez

VIP Member
    You may be on to something.

I've never been a liberal, but I spent over 20 years in the large corporate business world and living in cities. When the Clinton gun ban came about, I was only mildly irritated. The fact was, I was on an airplane several days a week, staying in the best hotels, in the best parts of town. I didn't carry, in fact I didn't even own a pistol at the time. I just didn't have a dog in the fight, so it just wasn't on my radar.

It was actually a sales guy that I often traveled with, that was addicted to gunbroker.com, that sparked my interest again. What really cemented it for me was when I retired to a small rural town, and found myself surrounded by the professionally unemployed, that I realized how dangerous things had become.
    84160 likes this.

It is all of the above. I know folks in TX that are very "country",live on farms and raise livestock. They love guns, hate welfare, but are always for a government helping hand during a drought or when things don't go well. They are for txing everybody but don't mind tax incentives they get for having livestock.

I know folks in Boston that hate guns, think only LE shoud have them, think unions, and in particular teachers unions, are the holy grail for the worker, but are against abortion and many forms of government handouts to individuals.

With "being out of the closet" more common now, many families who thought homosexuality was terrible are now rethinking thier stance one that, urban or country.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I can see it. You may just be on to something. Most of the liberals do seem to be centered around big cities, nyc, denver, hollywood. And conservatives seem to be more rural. But I think you may have a clearer distinction of what's really going on.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

For clarification: Folks have different mindsets. Liberal and conservative are too broad. You have folks that are conservative on fiscal issues but liberal on social issues and vice versa and a million combinations in between.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

...I thought this was common knowledge???

All you have to do is look at an election map from 2008/2012 by county.

and 2012..

If it weren't for big cities, the gap between conservatism and liberalism would hardly exist.
    darbo, Mike1956, wmhawth and 11 others like this.

True that Geographically it has always been the case. But when you move people into out out of those regions you see that "link to the land" sticks with them. They certainly can't change the majority. But I'm talking about what causes this mindset more than where they got it. I am of the mind that it could be perpetuated within those strongholds of Urban lifestyles, even after generations of loss. Perhaps.

Lord know that Michelle Obama never thought of this possibility when she tried to reintroduce urban gardening into the culture. But I think she may have been onto something. Not that it was her idea to start with. Different generation. But a step in the right direction I think.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    For clarification: Folks have different mindsets. Liberal and conservative are too broad. You have folks that are conservative on fiscal issues but liberal on social issues and vice versa and a million combinations in between.
    True that. I am this way. And so perhaps thats why when we use things like Conservative or Liberal we miss the mark with most people. Perhaps Urban and Rural as monikers is more accurate. Even when they live in the opposite places. Urban and Rural as a mindset, not a place.

I have had the same basic ideas for a long time.

I knew I couldn't be the only one!

VIP Member
    You nailed it in one, Lotus. In Ohio, for example Obama carried only sixteen out of eighty-eight counties, yet still won the state. Similar results are seen nearly everywhere except the upper northeast, and the left coast.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Everyone doesn't walk in the same shoes. We're all unique individuals with different views on various issues regardless of where we happen to reside. I was raised in a rural environment, but have lived in an urban/suburban environment most of my adult life.

Being poor working class people, my parents were staunch Democrats. But I eventually developed socially conservative, and fiscally moderate views that has made it difficult at times for me to select a candidate from either party to vote for.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    OMG! All this talk of guns and killing, can't we all just get along? Why not greet them with a smile and welcome them to our country, give them free healthcare, free welfare, free schooling, and free ObamaPhones so that we can be converted!

Where is Gunny with the kleenex?

Here is a clue: It has nothing to do with where you live! It is all about the "Educational System" and the News Media! God I'm glad I'll be going the way of the Dinosaurs soon enough! All you Mamby Pambys with this: "why can't we be understood"? Continue with this PC crap and you'll have the same fate as the DoDo Birds! Grow a pair!

Not everyone in this world will be your friend or even understand your feelings and some just want to KILL you, just live with it! Or have the Government provide for you as most are doing today!
    Last edited by onacoma; April 25th, 2013 at 11:15 AM.
    NONAME762 likes this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Lotus,

Oh hey look, my states completely blue...

Most of the area here is rural, but I'd like to think its only the cities in each county that contain liberal voters.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links