Senators Quietly Seeking New Path on Gun Control/Biden reassures gun groups

This is a discussion on Senators Quietly Seeking New Path on Gun Control/Biden reassures gun groups within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Two separate article...... Senators Quietly Seeking New Path on Gun Control Drawing on the lessons from battles in the 1980s and ’90s over the Brady ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Senators Quietly Seeking New Path on Gun Control/Biden reassures gun groups

Senators Quietly Seeking New Path on Gun Control/Biden reassures gun groups

Two separate article......

Senators Quietly Seeking New Path on Gun Control
    Drawing on the lessons from battles in the 1980s and ’90s over the Brady Bill, which failed in Congress several times before ultimately passing, gun control supporters believe they can prevail by working on a two-pronged strategy.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/26/us...rol.html?_r=2&

Biden reassures gun groups
    Vice President Joe Biden reassured leading gun control groups Thursday that the administration remains committed to pushing an expansion of background checks for gun purchases through Congress, according to one of the event's attendees.
    Biden reassures gun groups ? CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Second, they are looking to build a national campaign
    ..and who will be paying for this I wonder?

The attack on a 2nd amendment will never end.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

VIP Member
    Meanwhile, a separate gun measure, an anti-trafficking bill, is the subject of talks between Senator Kirsten E. Gillibrand, Democrat of New York, and two Republican senators who voted no on the background check bill. The Republicans, Senators Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire and Charles E. Grassley of Iowa, are discussing ways they might support the bill, which would criminalize the shipping or transfer of guns to someone who is barred from possessing a firearm.
    Yep, lets make a law that makes something that is already illegal, illegal!
    8th ID, airslot, Tzadik and 1 others like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

"...are discussing ways they might support the bill, which would criminalize the shipping or transfer of guns to someone who is barred from possessing a firearm."

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Yep, lets make a law that makes something that is already illegal, illegal!
    Not funny at all. This 'anti-trafficking' concept is backdoor to gun registration and UBC.

If you sell a gun, and it ends up at a crime scene, you go to jail unless you can prove you sold it to someone that could pass a BC. So at the bare minimun you need record keeping on all sales/transfers to protect yourself, but I suspect most will elect for a BC pior to the sale.

Then how does uncle sam track this 'trafficking?' Seems they would need the same registration scheme to enforce anti-trafficking that they would need for UBC, doesn't it?

We're in very dicy waters friends.
    TVJ and Darrow75 like this.

And yet our country is $17TRILLION in debt, our military has a CUT budget, we have no White House tours, our new Healthcare system is a "TRAINWRECK"(Sen Baucus, MT), and we still send foreign aid to countries who hate the US. Oh I forgot, the government pay millions to keep zero balance accounts open....wasting more money. LINK: Government spends thousands of taxpayer dollars on absolutely nothing | Fox News
    The Old Anglo likes this.
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

The path they need to seek is crime control. Disarming would-be victims does nothing to help ensure they become victims. Tracing everyone's transactions doesn't stop felons from arming themselves. "Trafficking" is already unlawful, as is providing arms to felons, as are "straw" purchases. But then, they know this. It's just that crime control isn't really what they want to accomplish. IMO, ultimately disarming and criminalizing all citizens is.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    "Quietly" is a keyword here, and it's very disturbing to me.

Obviously the public is riled up, so let's hide our intentions from the public (so they'll be quiet) and let's do what we want by doing it behind closed doors.

I can't hardly wait for 2014.
    The Old Anglo and ep1953 like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I think there are forces behind this that want a civil war so they can have an excuse to rid themselves or their opponents.
    Ghost1958 and The Old Anglo like this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    So long as it's unconstitutional liberty-control and infringement they're seeking, it'll always be disturbing. As is the mere fact they choose to plan their next round of attempted eviscerations behind closed doors. Violation of their sworn oaths of office always is.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I think engaging in a little unconstitutional activity of our own might send a message: start a recall campaign for these yahoos. It hardly matters if it were successful. It would get their attention, cause a distraction, get some press and send a chilling message. Once it fails, start a campaign to amend the Constitution to allow recall of Senators and Congressmen. I'd love to put these folks on the defensive and see them squirm for a change.
    The Old Anglo and Ghost1958 like this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    I think engaging in a little unconstitutional activity of our own might send a message: start a recall campaign for these yahoos. It hardly matters if it were successful. It would get their attention, cause a distraction, get some press and send a chilling message. Once it fails, start a campaign to amend the Constitution to allow recall of Senators and Congressmen. I'd love to put these folks on the defensive and see them squirm for a change.
    I like the sound of that.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    Oh,their egos are way to big,for them to stop the foolishness.They won't give up,that's a given,ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    Hmm... let's find a Senator or Representative that will write a bill/constitutional amendment allowing for recall... Any takers?

Thought not.

But I do like the idea.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

OK, here it comes...wait for it....
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post

Obviously the public is riled up, so let's hide our intentions from the public (so they'll be quiet) and let's do what we want by doing it behind closed doors.

I can't hardly wait for 2014.
    You got that right! For a president that was going to have the "most transparent" administration in history it sure is hard to get any info from them and the laws they have and the laws they seek to pass, the more quickly and quietly they can shove them through the happier they are. Thanks for your transparency, mr. president.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links