Manchin: Gun bill to be reintroduced/Toomey says he won't take new shot at gun bill

This is a discussion on Manchin: Gun bill to be reintroduced/Toomey says he won't take new shot at gun bill within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; One of the architects of failed gun control legislation says he's bringing it back. My Way News - Manchin: Gun bill to be reintroduced "My ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Manchin: Gun bill to be reintroduced/Toomey says he won't take new shot at gun bill

Manchin: Gun bill to be reintroduced/Toomey says he won't take new shot at gun bill

One of the architects of failed gun control legislation says he's bringing it back.
    My Way News - Manchin: Gun bill to be reintroduced

"My own view is very simple: The Senate has had its vote. We've seen the outcome of that vote. I am not aware of any reason to believe that if we had the vote again that we'd have a different outcome," Toomey said on a conference call.
    Toomey says he won't take new shot at gun bill - Philly.com
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Give it up Joe, this round is over.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I don't understand why Manchin is pushing this so hard. He was "A" rated by the NRA. He serves at the will of a state that strongly favors gun rights. What is in it for him? That fact is if he wanted to do something useful, I am sure the NRA would work with him to craft a bill. Instead he is more intent on creating a bill that will do the bidding of his party leaders and little to nothing for the public safety and infringe on everyone's rights..

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    I don't understand why Manchin is pushing this so hard. He was "A" rated by the NRA. He serves at the will of a state that strongly favors gun rights. What is in it for him? That fact is if he wanted to do something useful, I am sure the NRA would work with him to craft a bill. Instead he is more intent on creating a bill that will do the bidding of his party leaders and little to nothing for the public safety.
    I don't think that it is a far reach to presume that he's been offered a safety net. He's not worried about re-election.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I guess my question is "who is pulling his strings?". I do not imagine his is doing the will of the majority of his voters.

...don't break out the champagne just yet...a Congress that can pass obamacaresless without reading it could still slip something in on us...
    goldshellback likes this.

Darn it Crowman, I read your thread title as "machine gun bill" and got excited there for a minute. Thought they might be doing something PRO-2A and lifting the MG restrictions...

A guy can dream, right?
    British by birth. American by choice.

VIP Member
    Manchin says there was confusion over what was in the bill.
    There was no confusion over it, the bill included a way to require a gun registration scheme and got shot down, as it should have been.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Manchin ceased to be my Senator when he did exactly the opposite of what he stated before elected to the Senate.

His days are numbered in the Senate when he became the turncoat and traitor that was underneath all the glitter. I have the feeling WV voters, who typically vote Democrat party, have taken notice of his actions and perhaps we can rid the Senate of him that way. The election however isn't until 2014 and he can do loads of damage to the Second Amendment and other "rights" unless something comes along to radically change his mind. Let's hope common sense prevails and his "gun bill" gets killed for good. Only then will he get the message.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I think he does indeed have a safety net, or some other promise, or perhaps even a greater goal such as a national position in his sights. He's just pushing too hard. WV is decidedly a pro-gun state and there's no way even the majority of his democratic constituency is pushing him to do this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    He sounds like a kid that has already been told "no" to something about five times. And following the classic definition of insanity, he thinks that doing the same thing over and over will bring a different result. Meanwhile, Obama and Bite-me are holding their breath until they turn blue in the face because the American public isn't buying it.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Listening to the radio and Obama has said he wants a gun control bill by the end of the year. Gird you loins ladies and gentlemen, continue to take action, it's far from over.

I guess my question is "who is pulling his strings?". I do not imagine his is doing the will of the majority of his voters.
    Who? Why, it's the puppetmaster himself. You know him, the Obamination squatting in the offal office.

"The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." -- George Washington

I don't understand why Manchin is pushing this so hard. He was "A" rated by the NRA. He serves at the will of a state that strongly favors gun rights. What is in it for him? That fact is if he wanted to do something useful, I am sure the NRA would work with him to craft a bill. Instead he is more intent on creating a bill that will do the bidding of his party leaders and little to nothing for the public safety and infringe on everyone's rights..
    I have been asking myself that same question lately. I don't know of any politician who makes the initial effort to get elected, only to be happy about being in office for only one term. He must indeed have some kind of safety net, like bigmacque suggested. Perhaps Obama has promised him some kind of cabinet position. There has to be a reason Manchin is willing to go against the wishes of his constituents, making himself a one term Senator. There's more to this story that we don't yet know.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Yes Obama wants a gun control bill by the end of the year ..... because history tells us that he may well not have a majority in either the house or the senate after the mid-term elections. He needs to push this as quickly as possible.

My tactic so far has been to remind my representatives and senators that the obummer-care bill was passed with little or no review, just pushed through and voted on before anyone actually read the bill and understood all of the potential ramifications. At a minimum this will slow down the process.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links