7 reasons gun control will have a hard time passing

This is a discussion on 7 reasons gun control will have a hard time passing within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A pretty good read check it out http://www.guns.com/2013/04/27/7-rea...-future-video/...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By QKShooter
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm

Thread: 7 reasons gun control will have a hard time passing

I like the part about bloomingidiotburg. Myself

Administrator
    Slightly off topic but, somewhat related.

I heard this on the radio but, missed the source but, a large survey was done and Americans are mistrusting government more than ever before & they are wanting less intrusion on their rights and liberties by govt. for reasons of attempting to "keep them safe" and they do not appreciate being lied to by government.

Which is quite a positive sign being as 50% of Americans have no idea where the water comes from when they turn on a faucet.
    phreddy likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Slightly off topic but, somewhat related.

I heard this on the radio but, missed the source but, a large survey was done and Americans are mistrusting government more than ever before & they are wanting less intrusion on their rights and liberties by govt. for reasons of attempting to "keep them safe" and they do not appreciate being lied to by government.

Which is quite a positive sign being as 50% of Americans have no idea where the water comes from when they turn on a faucet.
    And then you have this.....?Dihydrogen monoxide? joke gets DJs suspended | Ars Technica
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

Quote Originally Posted by Robby1276 View Post
    Three good reasons gun control can indeed pass:

1. Nearly every proposed amendment voted on for the S.649 bill a couple weeks ago failed by a whisker, more or less. And had the traditional majority+1 rules been in effect, likely several of them would have passed (at least in the Senate).

2. The traitors to the Constitution and oath violators still sit in the seats we've placed them in, in the Senate and House.

3. The McDonald and Heller decisions by SCOTUS made one thing patently clear: they were willing to consider practically any proposal to undermine the Second Amendment via restrictions, limitations, and various criminalizations of ownership, possession, carry method and all the rest.

Keep up the vigilance. Keep up the heavy pressure on our congress critters. So long as the liberty-haters are within a mile of our Constitution, there's a dire threat it'll be eviscerated before our eyes, particularly with a complicit judiciary. DON'T LET UP. KEEP EXPRESSING YOUR EXTREME DISPLEASURE TO YOUR REPS.
    SmokinFool likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Three good reasons gun control can indeed pass:

1. Nearly every proposed amendment voted on for the S.649 bill a couple weeks ago failed by a whisker, more or less. And had the traditional majority+1 rules been in effect, likely several of them would have passed (at least in the Senate).

2. The traitors to the Constitution and oath violators still sit in the seats we've placed them in, in the Senate and House.

3. The McDonald and Heller decisions by SCOTUS made one thing patently clear: they were willing to consider practically any proposal to undermine the Second Amendment via restrictions, limitations, and various criminalizations of ownership, possession, carry method and all the rest.

Keep up the vigilance. Keep up the heavy pressure on our congress critters. So long as the liberty-haters are within a mile of our Constitution, there's a dire threat it'll be eviscerated before our eyes, particularly with a complicit judiciary. DON'T LET UP. KEEP EXPRESSING YOUR EXTREME DISPLEASURE TO YOUR REPS.
    Yep. We're no where near being out of the woods yet. We absolutely must keep up the pressure on our elected officials. One of my Senators, Manchin, will not listen to his constituents about a UBC, but he did vote against all the other amendments to the gun bill. I will be spending the next several months writing to him and to my Congress woman, Shelley Moore Capito, who does listen and does a good job of representing her constituents.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    If Harry Reid had not invoked the 60 vote rule. We could have had quite a few new gun control laws. If I remember correctly, only one failed the 51 vote threshhold. The 60 vote threshhold was Reid's choice to minimize the likelyhood that pro gun amendments would pass.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Silly Shooter . . . it comes from the faucet!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    If Harry Reid had not invoked the 60 vote rule. We could have had quite a few new gun control laws. If I remember correctly, only one failed the 51 vote threshhold. The 60 vote threshhold was Reid's choice to minimize the likelyhood that pro gun amendments would pass.
    And if you think like a politician, early in the term this could easily have been done for two key reasons: (a) to smear the folks who'd dare to vote against such things, ratcheting up the disgust amongst the libs; and (b) to allow somewhat/possibly watered-down variations to be re-proposed in the near future. If Manchin's recent grousing and the threats from the other liberty-haters are any indication, another wave is coming soon to an one-time swamp (DC) near you.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Gun legislation has and always will hit SCOTUS depending on the law or the implementation there of. How about this for a scary thought for you guys:

Obama gets one or two SCOTUS judges appointed during his term and when he is no longer President the Democrat President will nominate him for a position.

Don't think it can't happen.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Silly Shooter . . . it comes from the faucet!
    I knew that. But where does the faucet come from?
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Nice article and I think the writer is correct on these points. The problem is that gun control is largely a state-by-state issue and I happen to live in a state where the logic around gun violence, the level of pro-gun activism, the dislike for Bloomberg, and the influence of the NRA are at a very low level. God help us here.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c
    Favorite Firearm: 1968 SW .357 Revolver

Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    Nice article and I think the writer is correct on these points. The problem is that gun control is largely a state-by-state issue and I happen to live in a state where the logic around gun violence, the level of pro-gun activism, the dislike for Bloomberg, and the influence of the NRA are at a very low level. God help us here.
    To steal from TX expat:

Georgia Real Estate: Find Homes For Sale in Georgia - REALTOR.com
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Gun legislation has and always will hit SCOTUS depending on the law or the implementation there of. How about this for a scary thought for you guys:

Obama gets one or two SCOTUS judges appointed during his term and when he is no longer President the Democrat President will nominate him for a position.

Don't think it can't happen.
    To quote the liberals... "OMG!"

You have ruined my day... I can hear the news reporter now...

"Nobel Laureate, and Supreme Court Justice, Barack Hussein Obama; today, sided with the majority of justices on the Supreme Court, in declaring the Constitution of the United States of America UNCONSTITUTIONAL!"

Film at eleven!

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Thanks...if it were only that easy.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c