Can the Government Ban ‘Assault Weapons’? Constitutional Experts Weigh In

This is a discussion on Can the Government Ban ‘Assault Weapons’? Constitutional Experts Weigh In within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Interesting read, but doesn't answer the question! Can the Government Ban ?Assault Weapons?? Constitutional Experts Weigh In | TheBlaze.com...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Can the Government Ban ‘Assault Weapons’? Constitutional Experts Weigh In

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar

goldshellback likes this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

VIP Member
    Well, the author buys the canard that since weapons that are banned under the NFA (1934) are uncommon they should continue to be banned. They are uncommon precisely because they are essentially banned, of a limited population and expensive to own - both purchase price due to the limited pool of guns and the cost of a trust and the stamp. If the NFA were repealed, select fire M4s and M16s would be as popular and "common" as the current semi auto M4s and AR15s.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Yes they can. Will it stand in court? Not sure..
    pgrass101 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Based on the fact that they did it in 94 and it stood for 10 years I would say it appears the CAN do it. Not saying it is right, but history would suggest they can and will if given a chance.
    ccw9mm and phreddy like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Senior Moderator
    They can ban anything they want too
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    If they did it once,they can do it again.

Administrator
    I think that they should try banning hard liquor, beer, and wine some time as a "test case" just to see if an outright ban like that would be effective.
    sdprof, OD*, goawayfarm and 3 others like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I think that they should try banning hard liquor, beer, and wine some time as a "test case" just to see if an outright ban like that would be effective.
    - We already have a test case. Drugs.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    "can" is an interesting word. We know the ban can be enacted because we have already had one for 10 years.
    So yes they can. Should they? Would it be possible to enforce? Would it withstand future legal challenges on
    grounds not used during the prior ban? Who knows!!!
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

The "Second Amendment" was written by our forefathers to protect the people from its national Government. They did not want our government one day to become what their British government had become. Now think about this "IT IS THE SECOND MOST IMPORTANT THING THAT THEY WANTED TO PROTECT" behind the freedom clause of the "First Amendment", these amendments were not just listed "willy nilly". they were listed by importance. If the morons in Washington use their heads for something other than growing hair they might understand what is going on.
    ccw9mm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Based on the fact that they did it in 94 and it stood for 10 years I would say it appears the CAN do it. Not saying it is right, but history would suggest they can and will if given a chance.
    The Supreme Court rulings of Haller and McDonald weren't both in place at that time; which ruled that military weapons were precisely protected for ordinary citizens by the Second Amendment. So I reckon they'd not be able to get the votes for a ban, and that would be in part because they'd get legal advice (like it or not) that a ban was unconstitutional. Surely that underpinned Feinstein's failure the second time around.

Perhaps the converse is needed: with the Court's rulings, perhaps now is the time to press for the legalising of full autos. I seem to be seeing references to silencers in the USA, when I thought they, too, were banned by the same Act; so are they legal somewhere/somehow?
    Red (Richard) Nichols
    "Chief Holster Scientist"

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Red_.../about_us.html

...given the rope, they would make outlaws of us all...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    The Supreme Court rulings of Haller and McDonald weren't both in place at that time; which ruled that military weapons were precisely protected for ordinary citizens by the Second Amendment. So I reckon they'd not be able to get the votes for a ban, and that would be in part because they'd get legal advice (like it or not) that a ban was unconstitutional. Surely that underpinned Feinstein's failure the second time around.

Perhaps the converse is needed: with the Court's rulings, perhaps now is the time to press for the legalising of full autos. I seem to be seeing references to silencers in the USA, when I thought they, too, were banned by the same Act; so are they legal somewhere/somehow?
    [sarcasm] Uh, that would do wonders for easing the ammo shortage.[/sarcasm]
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

...yup, pay, wait, carefully follow the law...and a US citizen can own a suppressor, if he can own a firearm...under Federal law...some states' laws forbid it...
    Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post

We can debate & descuss it but the fact is today's Government leaders don't care anything about the original intent of the US Constitution. They only care about protecting their benefits & making sure we continue to pay for them. We are going down a path that will eventually lead to nothing good. Our forefathers left a out of control Government & put the USC in place to prevent what we have now, a out of control power hungry National Government.

It really isn't if they will trample on the 2nd amendment, they will because they have to for power they want over the people.
    Snub44 likes this.
    Everyone has an opinion & this is just mine sorry if it offends anyone.
    ALSO I don't HATE LEOs I just Hold them to a Higher Standard of the LAW & nothing anyone says will change my opinion on this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links