Where can you buy internet guns w/o background check?

This is a discussion on Where can you buy internet guns w/o background check? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Everyday I hear someone on the news talking about buying guns on the internet without a background check? I'm in SC and I have a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Where can you buy internet guns w/o background check?

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar

Everyday I hear someone on the news talking about buying guns on the internet without a background check? I'm in SC and I have a gun on order where a company in Tenn. When it comes in I'll have to complete a background check. Are there states this in not the case?

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Unless you have a FFL or a C&R which is still an FFL you cannot order guns over the internet. These people are stupid! They probably go to budsgunshop.com and don't read the fine print, or ignore it. Because if you could there would be no need for a gun store. If you could I would be in debt hundreds of thousands of dollars.
    crossfireltd and Taurahe like this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Senior Moderator
    You can (I guess) but it would be illegal.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Regardless of what anyone tells you- it's illegal, period.
    " Life is tough and it gets tougher if your stupid." John Wayne.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    I've wondered about that myself.It can't see any situation,where you would buy from internet,without a background ck.,legally anyway.(excluding the FTF sale).

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Gosh, we can buy guns on the internet without a background check? Why haven't I known this all along? How much easier would it be to buy a gun on the internet without a background check.

Please point me to the right place, I'm ready.

Not.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I guess they mean you can seek out a gun for sale on the internet, then arrange a face to face deal.
    nechaev, Ghost1958 and cc_ryder like this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    Everyday I hear someone on the news talking about buying guns on the internet without a background check?
    If simply responding to an ad, it's little different than seeing that ad pasted on the local telephone pole or bulletin board. I'm pretty sure it's this simple: So long as the individuals are both private parties, and so long as the arms are sold in-state, no FFL or NICS check is required (unless state law requires it).

If making the purchase via payment right there to a dealer of firearms, or if the arms are being sold across state lines, then it's required the transfer/shipment be via an FFL-brokered transaction.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    The talking heads are lumping in the situation where someone posts that they have a gun for sale and then meet face to face to actually sell the gun with all internet purchases to scare the uninformed.
    krisspy and sdprof like this.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    The talking heads are lumping in the situation where someone posts that they have a gun for sale and then meet face to face to actually sell the gun with all internet purchases to scare the uninformed.
    Yes I see the problem. The talking heads that are connected directly to their lower colons.
    vilecanards likes this.
    Bitter clinger!

There are consequences…..

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If simply responding to an ad, it's little different than seeing that ad pasted on the local telephone pole or bulletin board. I'm pretty sure it's this simple: So long as the individuals are both private parties, and so long as the arms are sold in-state, no FFL or NICS check is required (unless state law requires it).

If making the purchase via payment right there to a dealer of firearms, or if the arms are being sold across state lines, then it's required the transfer/shipment be via an FFL-brokered transaction.
    This is the only correct answer you've gotten so far! ^^^

So long as the individuals are both private parties, AND so long as the arms are sold in-state, no FFL or NICS check is required (unless state law requires it).
    Hoganbeg, DaveH and Ghost1958 like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I bought a gun on the internet without a background check. However it was then sent to my FFL and I had to do the background check there. So by semantic reasoning, you can purchase one, but good luck getting your hands on it without that BGC.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Most of the people talking about "buying guns on the internet" are completely ignorant of what that actually means. If you use Gunbroker or any other auction site, you have to ship to an FFL. If ordering from a manufacturer or dealer, you must ship to an FFL.

When I think of buying something online, I think of clicking, putting in credit card info, and it is shipped to my house. I think it might be legal to find someone posting a classified on a board somewhere online and if in-state and not prohibited by the state, you can actually mail a long gun person to person with no FFL. Pistols are prohibited though. I don't remember where all the regs are that lead me to this conclusion, but that was my understanding. I would look into it some more before trying it though.

So yes, I think there is one small avenue allowed, but as usual, they exagerate and mislead the public into thinking you can go to Cabela's website and get a machine gun shipped to your doorstep, no questions asked.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    nowhere unless you have a valid FFL.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

I have had more than one person ask me about this and how shocked they were that everyone can just buy a gun (fully automatic as well) over the internet. When I tell them the facts, some do not believe me because "they saw it on the news." I am really getting too old for this stuff.
    blitzburgh and BugDude like this.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links