3 Myths Joe Manchin Continues to Spread About the Manchin-Toomey Bill

This is a discussion on 3 Myths Joe Manchin Continues to Spread About the Manchin-Toomey Bill within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Interesting reading The Link: 3 Myths About the Machin-Toomey Compromise Senator Manchin Continues to Spread The article: As Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV) goes on various ...

Like Tree21Likes
  • 4 Post By ppkheat
  • 4 Post By Jeanlouise
  • 1 Post By bigmacque
  • 4 Post By JoJoGunn
  • 2 Post By bigmacque
  • 1 Post By JoJoGunn
  • 2 Post By oakchas
  • 2 Post By ppkheat
  • 1 Post By Warrior1256

Thread: 3 Myths Joe Manchin Continues to Spread About the Manchin-Toomey Bill

VIP Member

Interesting reading

The Link:
    3 Myths About the Machin-Toomey Compromise Senator Manchin Continues to Spread

The article:
    As Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV) goes on various television programs promising to bring the Manchin-Toomey gun control 'compromise' up for another vote, he continues to state three clear myths about the legislation: the bill "does not infringe on individual rights," it only puts background checks on gun shows and online sales, and it actually "expands the 2nd Amendment."
    Regarding the first myth, the bill actually does infringe on individual rights by limiting the people to whom a person can sell a firearm without first asking the government's permission. For over 200 years, Americans have been able to sell one of their own guns privately to whomever they please, trusting their own judgement regarding the buyer in so doing.

With the Manchin-Toomey "compromise," that exercise of freedom is not only infringed upon but almost completely done away. The bill clouds sales and transfers, limiting the latter to select family members listed in Section 122 of the bill, and limiting private sales to certain specific conditions set forth elsewhere in the bill.

Regarding the second myth, the bill expands background checks far beyond gun shows and online sales. For example, it expands background checks to include not only the gun show but any sales taking place in other parts of the building or on the porch of the gun show--the bill refers to these areas as "the curtilage" of the gun show.

At the same time, background checks for online purchases, which are already in place for true online gun sales, are expanded to include guns sold via "publications." In other words, if the Manchin-Toomey "compromise" were the law of the land, a "Glock 9mm for sale" ad in a newspaper would require a background check before the gun could be sold--unless the buyer and seller were among the family members Manchin exempts from background checks, or if they met the other specific conditions set forth in the bill.

Background checks are already the law of the land if you buy a gun from a gun store online. That store ships the gun to an FFL near you, who then does a background check on you before you're allowed to take the gun home.

With these restrictions in mind, Manchin's third claim that the bill actually "expands the 2nd Amendment" is patently ridiculous. However, if more evidence is needed, just consider the fact that Section 128 of the bill sets forth rules on how to transport guns and ammo. This includes making sure the firearm is unloaded, secured, and not directly accessible in the passenger compartment.

Such rules may sound good on paper, until it's your car that's being carjacked while your Smith & Wesson .38 Special is locked in the trunk, defeating the entire purpose of carrying the weapon in the first place.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Good post. In reality the whole bill is a myth as far as doing anything useful at all. Like every other gun law ever passed.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    And the fact of the matter is, no amount of legislation will make a bit of difference to a criminal. He's buying his guns on the street corner or back lot, no background checks needed.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I'm honestly growing very tired of these media plays, where one side or the other -- both are guilty of this -- gets their side of the story out there and in print and starts to push that side of the story as the truth, the real truth, and nothing but the truth. Then it's out there .... too many sheep start to believe what they hear and read rather than sit down in a chair with the bill in hand and read it for themselves so they can hear comments like this and know he's not telling the truth at all.
    SmokinFool likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    ... Section 128 of the bill sets forth rules on how to transport guns and ammo. This includes making sure the firearm is unloaded, secured, and not directly accessible in the passenger compartment.

Such rules may sound good on paper, until it's your car that's being carjacked while your Smith & Wesson .38 Special is locked in the trunk, defeating the entire purpose of carrying the weapon in the first place.
    And the disarmed citizens are the ones such liberty-haters as Manchin are willing to sacrifice. Meanwhile, criminals will simply go on acquiring their arms under the radar, away from FFL shops, in response to ads in which the buyer and seller both agree to ignore the finger-waggling prohibitions.

It'll never work, full and complete tracking, tracing, checking ... because the criminal group whom ostensibly is the point of the legislation won't be complying. The end result is exactly as that article points out, and nothing else: unconstitutional restriction of the Second Amendment guaranteed right to be armed that all citizens have, without the ostensible crime control the legislation falsely claims is its purpose.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I wish Manchin was a myth. Unfortunately he exists much to the displeasure of many West Virginians. He's an embarrassment to us, he is just trying to make a name for himself after lying to the voters about how he was going to do the opposite of what he is doing now. We all know that gun control failed to pass but apparently he has not got the message yet.

He cares nothing about people in WV and America, or holding up the Bill of Rights or just being a decent Senator. I truly can't stand to even see his name anymore he is so disgusting.

Our only hope is when re-election time comes in 2014 and maybe we can boot him out of office for good.
    mkh, ppkheat, bigmacque and 1 others like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    JoJo, I honestly think you are absolutely correct. West Virginia -- the people of that state that elected Joe Manchin to represent them -- is almost universally a freedom loving, liberty loving state. My little exposure to the folks that live there, via a very good friends son that attended WVU and played ball there, consistently showered me with some fiercely independent and leave me the hell alone people. They are not all conservative in the sense of conservative vs. liberal, but they are independent and enjoy their liberty.

That's one thing that I really don't understand about Manchin. He was elected by people of the state to represent them and he consistently sides with an agenda that flies in the face of what I would expect most West Virginians to support. How and why does he get away with this? Couldn't he be impeached at the state level if he is really not representing the people that elected him?

Maybe not, I don't know, but this whole push by him just smells rotten. I don't believe for a minute that he's doing something his voters, his constituency, support.
    Jeanlouise and JoJoGunn like this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    JoJo, I honestly think you are absolutely correct. West Virginia -- the people of that state that elected Joe Manchin to represent them -- is almost universally a freedom loving, liberty loving state. My little exposure to the folks that live there, via a very good friends son that attended WVU and played ball there, consistently showered me with some fiercely independent and leave me the hell alone people. They are not all conservative in the sense of conservative vs. liberal, but they are independent and enjoy their liberty.

That's one thing that I really don't understand about Manchin. He was elected by people of the state to represent them and he consistently sides with an agenda that flies in the face of what I would expect most West Virginians to support. How and why does he get away with this? Couldn't he be impeached at the state level if he is really not representing the people that elected him?

Maybe not, I don't know, but this whole push by him just smells rotten. I don't believe for a minute that he's doing something his voters, his constituency, support.
    Thank you for the nice comments about us.

Yes we have been duped by him. He was a good Governor and seemed to be one to uphold our rights, but something happened to him on the way to Washington, DC and it turned him to an entirely opposite direction. He really doesn't represent us at all, his own personal agenda seems to be what applies now. Many of us are flat out disgusted over it. I don't know if he could be impeached or recalled but it might be something to think about should he keep pushing for this stupidity.

We West Virginians are liberty loving. We are a good people who like our firearms, I know loads of people who have them and want to keep them along with our rights to do so. Many who voted for this clown had no idea he was going to be this way and it's sad. I can say that to quote The Who, when it comes for re-election "We won't be fooled again."
    bigmacque likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Thank you for the nice comments about us.

Yes we have been duped by him. He was a good Governor and seemed to be one to uphold our rights, but something happened to him on the way to Washington, DC and it turned him to an entirely opposite direction. He really doesn't represent us at all, his own personal agenda seems to be what applies now. Many of us are flat out disgusted over it. I don't know if he could be impeached or recalled but it might be something to think about should he keep pushing for this stupidity.

We West Virginians are liberty loving. We are a good people who like our firearms, I know loads of people who have them and want to keep them along with our rights to do so. Many who voted for this clown had no idea he was going to be this way and it's sad. I can say that to quote The Who, when it comes for re-election "We won't be fooled again."
    Something happens to them all on the way to Washington.

If you wonder what it might be... this thread posted by someone else might give you a hint... Financial Gun Control: Obama-Funded Corporations Targeting Gun Sellers While those corporations may have indeed been funded by the Zero administration... They also fund the Zero administration...

I'm glad somebody "followed the money" on this one, it's a basic principal I forgot to think about regarding gun control... and believe me... this is only the money that has been disclosed, a tiny little tip of the iceberg...
    Jeanlouise and JoJoGunn like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    We all know that gun control failed to pass but apparently he has not got the message yet.

He cares nothing about people in WV and America, or holding up the Bill of Rights or just being a decent Senator. I truly can't stand to even see his name anymore he is so disgusting.

Our only hope is when re-election time comes in 2014 and maybe we can boot him out of office for good.
    For him to make this much effort, I think he's been "promised" something?

You are right about 2014, but we have to make that happen by outworking the competition. Find a candidate that you like and help their campaign with money or volunteer time. We have to do more than just cast our single vote. We have to get people to the polls, and inspire those who are fence-sitters. Believe me, I know, and will be practicing what I preach, we have Senator Landrieu coming up for re-election in 2014. She stated that she was "indispensable", I intend to prove that she's dispensable.

Good luck to ya'll in W. Virginia, I hope our gun forums members are politically active when 2014 comes around, if not we'll be facing newer 2A crisis. A good ole fashion house-cleaning in 2014 will do wonders for stabilizing our country and the 2A.
    TX expat and JoJoGunn like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Member Array Warrior1256's Avatar
    I moved here to Kentucky from WV in 2011. The first time that Manchin ran for the senate I tried to tell everyone that would listen than Manchin would be nothing but a yes man for Obama if elected. It now appears as if Manchin is securely in Obama's pocket. This is one of the few times that I regret being right.
    JoJoGunn likes this.

Links