"CONTROL" Exposing the truth about guns

This is a discussion on "CONTROL" Exposing the truth about guns within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I received my copy of Glenn Beck's new book "Control, Exposing the truth about guns" yesterday. I'm about half way through it and I have ...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By luvmy40
  • 4 Post By Alex_C
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 2 Post By Stevew
  • 1 Post By Jeanlouise
  • 4 Post By RightsEroding

Thread: "CONTROL" Exposing the truth about guns

Sponsor

"CONTROL" Exposing the truth about guns

I received my copy of Glenn Beck's new book "Control, Exposing the truth about guns" yesterday.

I'm about half way through it and I have to say it is a must read for everyone. It's not so much that there is any new information in it. Most of us here already know most of what is being related in the book. It's just that it is a comprehensive compilation of legitimate, documented and foot noted refutations of every argument and misconstrued piece of "evidence" that the antis have ever spewed.

I plan on tabbing the pages of the best info and carrying this around with me for those times that I have the opportunity to educate some un-informed/mis-informed fence sitter. I doubt that even this will be enough to change the minds of the truly rabid antis but any chance to move one more vote to the right is a good thing.
    Last edited by luvmy40; May 2nd, 2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: typo
    niks likes this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    I plan on tabbing the pages of the best info and carrying this around with me for those times that I have the opportunity to educate some un-informed/mis-informed fence sitter.
    I would just memorize things. Or if you want to carry things around perhaps FBI statistics and applicable law references would be more effective. As soon as any "fence-sitter" sees you referencing a Glenn Beck book they'll likely dismiss your quotations as less than factual.
    British by birth. American by choice.

I am not a fan of Mr. Beck, but I am sure he is just spouting statistics proven by other more reputable, and objective agencies. Glad you enjoyed it. Reading seems to be a waning past time.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Picked up my copy today.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    As soon as any "fence-sitter" sees you referencing a Glenn Beck book they'll likely dismiss your quotations as less than factual.
    Good point.

Unless Beck is actually conducting primary studies, research, polls and the like, he isn't the source. IMO, such books and articles are generally most useful for pointing the way to the sources.

I try really hard to point to actual data, people, research, and not the mechanism I used to get it. ie, The Blaze (reporting), or Glenn Beck, or Massad Ayoob. Though, in the case of certain acknowledged authorities/experts on topics, there is a degree of mileage that can be gotten out of wise observations they've made.
    oakchas likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Memorizing the facts from the book will not help at all when discussing guns with liberals. Liberals will not be confused with facts. They don't need no stinking facts.
    Warrior1256 and GunGeezer like this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Sponsor
    That's the nice thing about this book. All of the info is referenced and sourced and all in one place. The FBI reports, the academic studies and the debunked lies and misconstrued data are all in one reference book.

Anyone who is going to dismiss me because my data source is GB is going to dismiss me regardless of where I get my info.

I would just memorize things. Or if you want to carry things around perhaps FBI statistics and applicable law references would be more effective. As soon as any "fence-sitter" sees you referencing a Glenn Beck book they'll likely dismiss your quotations as less than factual.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

VIP Member
    Alex, I was going to say the same thing. Once they know Glenn Beck wrote it, their minds will snap shut like trap doors. The Libs hate Beck because he straight forward and doesn't back down in the face of their bitter media campaign to discredit him.
    Alex_C likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Just downloaded my copy about an hour ago...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

I try really hard to point to actual data, people, research, and not the mechanism I used to get it.
    Actual data? Where do you get that? Truth? Even more scarce.
    Every piece of data, every poll, every news story has a agenda.

The old joke about a large corp that needs to hire a CFO. They interview 3 people with each candidate receiving one question.

"What does 2+2=?"

The physicist answers "always 4 in this universe or any other".
    The Math major answers "4; it is without fail 4."
    The accountant closes all the curtains in the room and whispers "What do you want it to equal?"
    Alex_C, Once, BugDude and 1 others like this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    Actual data? Where do you get that? Truth? Even more scarce.
    Every piece of data, every poll, every news story has a agenda.

The old joke about a large corp that needs to hire a CFO. They interview 3 people with each candidate receiving one question.

"What does 2+2=?"

The physicist answers "always 4 in this universe or any other".
    The Math major answers "4; it is without fail 4."
    The accountant closes all the curtains in the room and whispers "What do you want it to equal?"
    As a CFO, I have to admit that made me LoL.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Alex, I was going to say the same thing. Once they know Glenn Beck wrote it, their minds will snap shut like trap doors. The Libs hate Beck because he straight forward and doesn't back down in the face of their bitter media campaign to discredit him.
    I agree with that also except Glenn Beckk has a track record of using information out of context, lieing, misrepresenting facts. So I would not take anything Glenn Beck said as 100 percent truthful. In other words: He is just another talking head, same as the ones on the left and his peers on the right. Given to telling one side of a story and using only a set of stats that works for thier arguement.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Beck definitely has a very Conservative slant and I don't take everything he says as gospel, but I do agree with most of his views on where our county is going and who the enemy is. I don't think he lies.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Links