Florida Residents Alert

This is a discussion on Florida Residents Alert within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This bill has just been passed and is on Governor Scott's desk for signature. I wonder how others feel about this bill. House Bill 1355 ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GunGeezer

Thread: Florida Residents Alert

Florida Residents Alert

This bill has just been passed and is on Governor Scott's desk for signature. I wonder how others feel about this bill.

House Bill 1355 (2013) - The Florida Senate
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Interesting that this is needed to enforce what's already on the books.
    Truth is, anyone filling out the form to purchase just has to do one thing: check off that they're not crazy.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Nothing really new except to close a loophole for involuntary admission to a mental institution. Even then it only refers to involuntarily admitting yourself after an INVOLUNTARY examination and being found to have a serious mental problem. In other words, you cannot skirt the law by admitting yourself to a mental institute after you have been forced to get examined and found mentally ill. I find no problem with the bill. Currently if a doctor finds a person a danger to others they could still get a gun by voluntarily admitting themselves to the hospital rather than having it be done involuntarily. I really do not want someone with serious enough issues to be involuntarily examined to be able to pass a NICS check by simply pre-empting the process by voluntarily admitting themselves for treatment.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

you mean I will have to give all my guns back???????????????????/

So, if a service man comes home unable to handle his own affairs, like balance a checkbook, he can't have a gun in FL... interesting.

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

thats just the start, they can then define the term to suit the situation,( in their favor) when drafting any legislation you always leave it open ended, like a good movie, leaves open for a sequel or 3. Just sayin

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I would think this proposed law would require a legal judgment of mental incompetence or impairment. When my brother was declared incompetent because of Alzheimer's, he was immediately required to surrender his Florida CCP. Seems like we already have all the laws we need except those making it a crime to be a criminal.
    ccw9mm likes this.

Wow; only one ~ Nah ~ in the House and in the Senate all ~ Yea`s ~ in the Gun Shine State

are there really that many politicians from NY living there

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill340 View Post
    you mean I will have to give all my guns back???????????????????/
    You'd have to be certifiably crazy to do that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links