Gun homicides fall by 39 per cent since 1993 in the U.S

This is a discussion on Gun homicides fall by 39 per cent since 1993 in the U.S within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Gun homicides fall by 39 per cent since 1993 in the U.S... fueling Congress' battle over firearm restrictions | Mail Online Both sides of the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Gun homicides fall by 39 per cent since 1993 in the U.S

Gun homicides fall by 39 per cent since 1993 in the U.S... fueling Congress' battle over firearm restrictions | Mail Online

Both sides of the debate will use these figures for their arguments.

Per the article:

"Gun rights advocates have argued that people are safer when they are allowed to own and carry guns. Those supporting gun control say that with more background checks, gun violence would drop because more criminals and mentally unstable people would be prevented from getting weapons."

The way I look at it is that homicides have fallen exactly during the period when most states created laws allowing concealed carry. We are seeing more proof that the right to keep and bear arms reduces crime.
    BugDude and JDE101 like this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    The way I look at it is that homicides have fallen exactly during the period when most states created laws allowing concealed carry. We are seeing more proof that the right to keep and bear arms reduces crime.
    +1. The antis can try to spin this anyway they want, but this is the bottom line.

From 1994 to 04 the crime bill was with us the antis will use that as well. I personally believe that more guns in the hands of good people reduces crime, but outside of John Lott I have no other evidence. Overall its a good sign....
    suntzu and JDE101 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member

Thumbs up Not much news coverage but here is a bit more

Why Do So Many People Think Gun Violence Is Getting Worse? - Emily Badger - The Atlantic Cities

Why Do So Many People Think Gun Violence Is Getting Worse?

One of the most striking public policy stories in urban America for the past generation – true all across the country but mysterious in its causes – has been the steep decline in gun homicides and violent crime since the early 1990s. Gun homicides peaked in the United States in 1993, a zenith that coincides with the worst reputations of devolving cities in the midst of crack epidemics and white flight.

SNIP
    —–

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware | Pew Social & Demographic Trends

Released: May 7, 2013

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware
    Pace of Decline Slows in Past Decade

by D’Vera Cohn, Paul Taylor, Mark Hugo Lopez, Catherine A. Gallagher, Kim Parker and Kevin T. Maass

Chapter 1: Overview

National rates of gun homicide and other violent gun crimes are strikingly lower now than during their peak in the mid-1990s, paralleling a general decline in violent crime, according to a Pew Research Center analysis of government data. Beneath the long-term trend, though, are big differences by decade: Violence plunged through the 1990s, but has declined less dramatically since 2000.

SNIP
    Last edited by DaveH; May 7th, 2013 at 08:59 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

The problem is the correlation effect. Correlation does not equal causation. Homicides go up in the summer and so do ice cream sales, does that mean that ice cream causes homicide? Not quite. Crime is affected from multitudes of factors and variables (new laws, developing social environments, collective permutation of cultural attitudes, etc. etc.) and trying to pin it down on anything singular, such as laxing or tightening firearm legislation, is unwise.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by ArmedWebGuy View Post
    The problem is the correlation effect. Correlation does not equal causation. Homicides go up in the summer and so do ice cream sales, does that mean that ice cream causes homicide? Not quite. Crime is affected from multitudes of factors and variables (new laws, developing social environments, collective permutation of cultural attitudes, etc. etc.) and trying to pin it down on anything singular, such as laxing or tightening firearm legislation, is unwise.
    Could also mean better parenting right? I thought that was the reason for all the crimes? If anything my grandparents and parents generations were the worst parents. Crime in the 60's -80's was terrible!

That was sarcasm for the sarcasm impaired............It is more than one thing that causes stats to go up and down.
    JDE101 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

For the most part, corrolation=causation simply doesn't work when it comes to more gun laws or less gun laws.

For every argument about how places with less gun laws are safer, there are anomolies that throw that argument down the toilet.

For every argument about how places with more gun laws are safer, there are anomolies that throw THAT argument down the toilet too.

For example, there are basically no gun laws in Somalia and other places in Africa and Latin America that are terribly violent.

Meanwhile there are nations in northwest Europe that have very strong gun laws and are very peaceful, but then you have cities in the USA with strict gun control but rampant violence.

Senior Member Array Warrior1256's Avatar
    This is a statistic that the antis and lib media almost completely ignore.

I just saw it mentioned on the NBC evening new! Brian Williams mentioned it and they showed the graphics in about 20 seconds and moved on. Surprise, surprise! If it had been the other way, that gun violence had gone UP, they would have devoted 20 minutes to talking about it instead of 20 seconds! However, given their anti-gun bias, I'm surprised they even mentioned it!
    BenGoodLuck and rigel42 like this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    Surprise, surprise! If it had been the other way, that gun violence had gone UP, they would have devoted 20 minutes to talking about it instead of 20 seconds!
    Only 20 minutes?

How about 20 minutes a night for a couple of weeks? Maybe even a special?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Also, received a email from JPFO linking to The Sad, Strange, and Ineffective Story of the Canadian Firearms Registry - Outdoor Hub

SNIP

Mauser continued, “No solid evidence can be found linking Canadian gun laws to declines in either violent crime rates or suicide rates. Firearms have been persistently involved in about one-third of homicides since 1975. Canadian homicide rates fell 22 percent between 1990 and 1998, before the beginning of firearm licensing and registration, but slid just two percent between 1998 and 2009. In contrast, homicide rates in the US fell 33 percent between 1990 and 1998 and 20 percent between 1998 and 2009. Suicides involving firearms started declining before the 1995 law came into effect, falling from 1,110 in 1991 to 818 in 1998. After licensing and long gun registration became mandatory in 1998, suicides continued to fall, dropping to 534 in 2007 (the most recent data available). Unfortunately, total suicides have remained relatively constant (3,593 in 1991; 3,613 in 2007), as alternative suicide methods remain readily accessible.

SNIP
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Time for President Obama and Vice President Biden to regroup.........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Time for President Obama and Vice President Biden to regroup.........
    That's too easy. "Since I came into office "gun violence" has declined. Mission accomplished".
    Similar story running on BBC news, BBC News - US gun homicides at 20-year low, surveys say
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Just playing Devil's Advocate here:

But the statistic says "gun homocides" not gun crime. Could there be a corolation with improved trauma medicine?

The statistic quoted could be the result of our very fine first responders.

I believe there's a connection between the level of violent crime and gun control (and lack of) but this statistic hardly prooves it.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    Just playing Devil's Advocate here:

But the statistic says "gun homocides" not gun crime. Could there be a corolation with improved trauma medicine?

The statistic quoted could be the result of our very fine first responders.

I believe there's a connection between the level of violent crime and gun control (and lack of) but this statistic hardly prooves it.
    According to the article, non-fatal gun crime fell by 70% for the same period..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links