The 25 and under crowd... There's not too many of us

This is a discussion on The 25 and under crowd... There's not too many of us within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I thought maybe someone else could help me out here. Is it just me, or are all gun owners over 30? Now don't get me ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 25 and under crowd... There's not too many of us

The 25 and under crowd... There's not too many of us

I thought maybe someone else could help me out here.

Is it just me, or are all gun owners over 30?

Now don't get me wrong I dearly hope to be 30 years old some day (it's a great age to be right after 29), but I got to thinking here the other day when I was in a room full of people my age at a seminar and the discussion came up "What would you do if someone broke into your house in the middle of the night?"

My answer: "I would get my light and my gun and if they didn't immediately surrender I would stop them."

I got some looks and even one woman who said "That's horrible."

Anyway my response made some people uncomfortable, and the topic quickly changed.

Then this last Saturday I went to the range. I noticed the place was full of older guys. I did see one little boy maybe 8 years old with his daddy but other than that, everyone else had to be at least 35. I would have felt out of place in any other venue.

When I go to a gunstore or even the sporting goods section of a Walmart I get some looks, but they're more of the "Don't see that every day" looks than the "horrible evil gun toter" looks. I almost swear I heard an old farmer say "Look at 'im buyin' 7.62x39.... ain't that cute?":P (Kidding.)

I know no one my own age besides me who is a member of either the NRA or the GoA. I know a couple people my own age who own a gun (A gun as in just one... I mean I understand you don't really need a lot of guns to be well armed, but it takes more than one surely...) but they don't know jack squat about how to fire it. I know far far more who think guns are the evil spawn of Satan, especially those horrible looking "assault rifles", kind of like that horrible SKS I own for just in case because I can't afford anything better at present. (I actually really like my SKS a lot... before the 2008 elections I'm getting an AK47 or possibly an AR15 for damn sure.)

But I digress. Aren't there people in their 20s who own, practice with, and otherwise try to be somewhat proficient with at least a pistol? I mean come on... these same people all know CPR and how to operate a fire extinguisher. I don't get it. Now I understand it takes years to build up a good assortment of firearms, and I certainly hope I shoot better in 10 years than I do now, but this is just sad.

If I said I knew at least 3 people my own age or close to it that keep a firearm for home defense, I'd be lying. I can't fathom it. Here I am trying to practice more on the weekends so I can qualify for a CCW (I need some work but all things in good time), and these people can't even manage to have one at home.

Is it a demographic problem? Most people my age are still treated like children when it comes to gun ownership. The entry level jobs us 20 something year old working stiffs tend to get tend not to allow firearms at work. Well I can't carry at work either, which means I'm not in a real hurry to get a CCW. That may be part of the reason. I thought about it some more and realized lots of us live in apartments that don't allow firearms, and since that's the only housing most of us can afford that seems to make sense, plus I'm just a year out of college myself and there's another place where you can't have any guns. The point is you may very well be 21, but rules like these are in place to keep you unarmed even when laws are not.

I noticed that in the thread on how old is old enough for a CCW, a lot of people said 25 was the minimum. I think that's somewhat natural for older people to think that; I look at my 15 year old students and think they're so damn clueless so I imagine I'll look at myself that way in a few years. But the fact is older people tend to be in positions of power, and are able to exert their will better than I can. I'm not saying this is good or bad, just that it seems logical. Could it be that this is to blame at least in part for what I've noticed?

Or is this the new America... an unarmed nation of scared young victims who don't care about the right to keep and bear arms, a nation of people who will demand a police state to keep them secure, or another civil rights violation waiting to happen?

Scary thought. BTW don't ever tell a woman you like guns if you're looking for a date.:(

2. Remove Ads

I just turned 29 been into guns for ever ... Lot of younger people at the range i go to but theres older to not as many ..

JT
    Originally posted by Euclidean
    Is it just me, or are all gun owners over 30?
    I am now, but I wasn’t when I started.

You are correct, however. There are not enough. We need to teach them young if we are going to have the voters in the future to keep our rights.
    lots of us live in apartments that don't allow firearms
    I lived in several apartments before I bought a house, and none of them prohibited firearms. Of course that would not go over very well in Texas.
    BTW don't ever tell a woman you like guns if you're looking for a date
    Unless you find a good southern county girl like I did. :D

33 here, and the wife is 26 (will be 27 this coming May).

~A

I lived in several apartments before I bought a house, and none of them prohibited firearms. Of course that would not go over very well in Texas.

True enough bud but you have to remember that in a lot of places there are such practices in place. There of course comes a point where being low profile and not causing any trouble is actually far more important than following the letter of the law.

Disclaimer: Don't do anything illegal. I told you so.

I see all gun control laws, save three that I think are common sense, as morally wrong. The only thing that would really govern where I think I should have a gun and where I should not is safety concerns. Therefore I constantly debate whether I am more likely to be caught by the law versus being caught by a predator. I believe avoidance is the easiest to learn and most effective strategy, so most places I go the threat of the law is greater.

But I promise you I wouldn't live in Washington D.C. without a gun or three at the ready laws be damned. At an Arkansas rest stop at 3 AM when the van breaks down and some drifter is eyeballing your sister, the laws be damned. Need I say more?

But don't do anything illegal. After all your Congressman knows better.

Its all about money and where you live. A young family man is in a struggle to raise kids and pay the rent. Chances are his income may be lower in certain parts of the country. More young people are going to college and being brainwashed as to firearms and politics, few will understand our traditions as Americans and the need to protect ourselves. By age 30 most are working their buns off to pay for a car, house etc. buying guns is the last thing on their mind. Mom needs stuff for the kids etc. As people age some will be in better shape to buy things they enjoy, some will be worse off because of economics in the country. I understand people reacting to the question what to do when people break in your house. The young guy says blast them right now, the older guy may view things a little different and try to avoid shooting right away.

Buying a hand gun and shooting at a range is expensive. Reloading or not ammo cost money, membership is expensive, having the right gun after awhile is expensive so a young person may find it difficult to do everything in life at age 24. But most of all I believe its attitude in the USA about guns that goes against ownership. Women will fight to control their bodies as they put it, but they are not doing a good job because they are found dead in the desert, in trunks of cars and just dissapear. Maybe a positive attitude about guns early in life would serve to help men and women.
    :P

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Discounting my brief experience with shooting in Boy Scout Camp at age 11&12 (IIRC), I didn't shoot again until I was 29. I am now 57.

My Parents were anti-gun, my Wife was anti-gun (and still leans that way every time a news story blasts guns), etc.

Yes, these people raise their children to be anti-gun and that accounts for a lot of what you are seeing (at clubs and in the media). The brainwashing has worked over the past generation.

I've worked in companies (none would allow a gun on the premises) and discussed self-defense with some of the "younger crowd" and most told me that even if attacked, they could do nothing to hurt their attacker . . . they really believe that blowing a whistle, yelling or dialing 911 is going to save them! And a few told me that they would rather die than hurt/kill an attacker!

So, the only solution is for each of us to try to get others to give shooting a try, at least for fun. And over time try to convert some to our way of thinking. It's a tough road to travel, but it is the only way to "take back America" from the anti-gun crowd.

I am 22 years old. I turn 23 on Jan. 25th. Very very few people my age feel comfortable around guns. The ones that I now that do are only comfortable around deer rifles and the others are cops. I have one friend that keeps joking that I will go postal one day. Todays youth in general is quite low on the common sense totum pole.

clipse

I was raised in an anit-gun family, but after I left the military I knew weapons would forever be in my life, I am thankful i can afford a few decent purchases a year. I let ppl at the range try out my gear if they seem competent and responsible and respectful. I hope that makes sense. I know I get absolutely giddy when I get to try out something new, so I figure might as well share the stoke.

~A

Guess i was spoiled reading some of these posts ive been around guns all my life. Had my first one at 10 or so maybe younger dad picked up a brand new 870 wingmaster for 89$ for future hunting ..
    AT 25 i all ready had a good gun collection as mom and dad were for guns not aainst and we have gave um as presents many times gave dad a blackpowder inline this year..

I dont know what i would have dont if we werent into guns would really have been a hard childhood i guess even b4 dad steered me more into guns/hunting etc i was into them

ccw
    Been into guns since I was very young. Came from a family where hunting was a lifestyle. Bought my first handgun at 21, a smith and wesson model 29 (44Magnum). Been hunting with 44's for the last 30 years. Just purchased a new model 500 from s&w just this year and solely hunt with handguns now. Got my concealed handgun license when the bill was pased here in Arkansas in 1995. 4 years ago got my second ccw from the state of Florida. Finally went on and became a NRA certified instructor and Teach our states ccw clases. Also certified by our State Police as a firearms instructor. Guns, at a young age??? Yes and at an older age too. As long as I can pick one up, I will.

VIP Member
    BTW, Don't ever tell a woman you like guns if you're looking for a date.
    On the other hand, it's a good way to get my ears to perk up.

If dad hadn't moved us out of New Jersey in '91, my firearms experience would be extremely limited and I would not be enjoying them as I do today. Down here in Tennessee, the environment is much more gun friendly, and I have more opportunities to go shooting. I love opening up the newspaper and seeing a photo of the 14 year old posing with the buck he just hunted down. I can walk into WalMart and buy boxes of ammo and the get the "come hither" look from men instead of the "eew, scary" look.

Unfortunately, our society has gotten to the point where gun owners are branded with a scarlett letter and it seems we must hide in the closet. We're not thugs and we don't eat children for breakfast, but lots of people think we do. Parents are blindfolding their kids about guns, sex and drugs, thinking that making the subjects taboo will keep them safe. The uneducated eventually discover and learn, and it's best they learn through the right sources.

It's just my opinion, but learning how to responsibly handle a firearm is something capable people should know. You don't have to own one or shoot on a regular basis - just know the basic safety rules, basic working mechanics and respect them. Firearms knowledge shouldn't be based on what people have seen in movies or watching the gangbanga down the street.

I'm tired of guys who know how to hook up a Playstation but don't know how to fix a toilet.

I started shooting at age nine, with an HR Double Nine 22 revolver. My Dad, God rest his soul, made sure my brother and I knew how to shoot, and we had family shooting outings. My wife and I always take our son to the range, even though he is age 4, and he is always bugging me for his own rifle or pistol. He got to handle Daddy's CZ75 PO1, (unloaded, under strict hands on supervision, of course!), a few days ago for the first time, and the smile was huge. He also kept his finger off the trigger, too, while trying to get a sight picture! He'll get his first rifle in a few years, when we can afford a Chipmunk or something like that. Then we will have contributed a new shooter to the world!
    Now, we don;t qualify for you age thing...I am 37, and Mrs. Armoredman is (HIDDEN).....you don't think I am going to actually post her age, do ya???:O:):D

It's just a commonality that parents are raising wussyfied kids. they will elt them play GTA San Andreas for hours on end.....but dont ever mention guns.

I think this nation is slowly becoming as the letter read a "Nation of Cowards" There are those of us that arent.and are raising their families as such..but there are WAY too many Micheal Moore followers out there. Soccer Moms UNITE!!

I don\'t know if that really has that much to do with it.

I\'m the first of a set of three.

My siblings despise guns to varying degrees and I love them, and we all grew up under the same roof.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links