State Department Demands Takedown Of 3D-Printable Gun Files

This is a discussion on State Department Demands Takedown Of 3D-Printable Gun Files within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; State Department Demands Takedown Of 3D-Printable Gun Files For Possible Export Control Violations Andy Greenberg, Forbes Staff The battle for control of dangerous digital shapes ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: State Department Demands Takedown Of 3D-Printable Gun Files

State Department Demands Takedown Of 3D-Printable Gun Files

State Department Demands Takedown Of 3D-Printable Gun Files For Possible Export Control Violations

Andy Greenberg, Forbes Staff

The battle for control of dangerous digital shapes may have just begun.

On Thursday, Defense Distributed founder Cody Wilson received a letter from the State Department Office of Defense Trade Controls Compliance demanding that he take down the online blueprints for the 3D-printable “Liberator” handgun that his group released Monday, along with nine other 3D-printable firearms components hosted on the group’s website Defcad.org. The government says it wants to review the files for compliance with arms export control laws known as the International Traffic in Arms Regulations, or ITAR. By uploading the weapons files to the Internet and allowing them to be downloaded abroad, the letter implies Wilson’s high-tech gun group may have violated those export controls.

“Until the Department provides Defense Distributed with final [commodity jurisdiction] determinations, Defense Distributed should treat the above technical data as ITAR-controlled,” reads the letter, referring to a list of ten CAD files hosted on Defcad that include the 3D-printable gun, silencers, sights and other pieces. “This means that all data should be removed from public acces immediately. Defense Distributed should review the remainder of the data made public on its website to determine whether any other data may be similarly controlled and proceed according to ITAR requirements.”

more at: State Department Demands Takedown Of 3D-Printable Gun Files For Possible Export Control Violations - Forbes
    AvengingPatriot likes this.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

2. Remove Ads

Well that didnt take long
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Shows the ignorance of our gov't - horse is already out of the barn and in the next county.

Next thing will be pictures of guns, Pop Tarts shaped like guns, Bubble Guns.....etc....
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

The State Dept slips up, let's a couple of terrorists into the country who end up setting off an IED at the Boston Marathon, and what they are worried about are the technical specs for a gun?
    9mmjoy, Warmon, Bark'n and 1 others like this.
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

There are things I like to say, but I'd be violating the forum's TOS.

I can almost guarantee that people like Anonymous are going to start spreading these files all over the net now.

Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    The State Dept slips up, let's a couple of terrorists into the country who end up setting off an IED at the Boston Marathon, and what they are worried about are the technical specs for a gun?
    I beleive they were 15 and 9 years old when they came to the US, hardly what I would call "letting them into the country". Them being allowed to stay (the older brother) is more of an intelligence failure.

But I agree the State Dept are a bunch of idiots in this issue.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I beleive they were 15 and 9 years old when they came to the US, hardly what I would call "letting them into the country". Them being allowed to stay (the older brother) is more of an intelligence failure.

But I agree the State Dept are a bunch of idiots in this issue.
    True, but if I understand correctly, the older one went home to train with the other scumbags, then came back - and he wasn't 15 when he did this. So someone let him back in.

Regardless, we probably both agree that this is #1000 on a list of ten things the State Dept should worry about.
    tbrenke likes this.

True, but if I understand correctly, the older one went home to train with the other scumbags, then came back - and he wasn't 15 when he did this. So someone let him back in.

Regardless, we probably both agree that this is #1000 on a list of ten things the State Dept should worry about.
    If memory serve me correctly....the FBI was not notified about his activies and worries from the Russians until a few months after he re entered the US
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

The whole defcad site is down...

Hopefully the files find their way to some BitTorrent service.

Since there was over 100,000 downloads in two days and they are already on the pirate bay. The cat is out of the proverbial bag and not likely to ever be put back in it.
    blitzburgh likes this.

Just read an interview with Cody Wilson, and he stated that the State Dept. "Requested" he take down the files.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I just got to ask, why would you post plan to such a thing on line?

OK so you figured out how to do it.... you're a big shot, why post plans on line for every crazy person to make there own? I just don't understand!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to hand gun as blue tooth's are to cell phone!

Thumbs down

Perhaps the State Department should make sure their OWN HOUSE is in order before making demands of anyone or anything else. Can you say Hillary Clinton and BENGHAZI???
    msgt/ret, dling, 40Bob and 1 others like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Wonder if their demand violates 1st amendment?
    Alex_C likes this.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links